travel from nice to st. paul de vence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling from Bellagio to Nice next month and I am trying to book our train tickets online. Which train station in Nice do we want to go to? i.e. Nice Ville, Riquier, St Roch, or St. Augustin. What is the best way to get from the train station to our hotel in St. Paul de vence? We want something convenient, but not cost prohibitive.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 09:16 AM

There is a bus that goes there but I think you can also cab it. About 30 min. I drove. Someone else here can probably give more detailed info.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 09:17 AM

The easiest, but certainly not the cheapest, way to get to St-Paul is by taxi. You could also take the train to Cagne-sur-Mer and pick up a bus there to St-Paul.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Neopolitan

Not trying to persuade you, but how long are you staying in St. Paul de Vence? I would personally want a car there for exploring if you're going to be there more than a single night. Getting a car at Nice and driving could be a very good idea.

Old Apr 17th, 2006, 09:27 AM

There's a bus to St. Paul de Vence from Gare Routiere ( main bus terminal in Nice), which take just under an hour.

I think that the train station you want is Nice Ville, although not sure if there might be one closer to the bus station.

A cab would be quite expensive, I think, since for the short ride from Cote d'Azur airport to our hotel in Nice ( about a 15 min. drive) it cost us about 30E.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 09:36 AM

You want Nice Ville, the main train station, which is fairly close to Gare Routiere, the bus station. According to my 2005 edition of Rick Steves' Provence & the French Riviera guidebook, the bus runs every 40 minutes, the ride takes 45 minutes, and the cost is E4.30 (price may be out of date).
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 01:31 PM

I took the bus to St. Paul. It was very easy to do. Picked it up at the bus station. Sorry, don't know where that is in proximity to the train station. Did you look on viamichelin?

Old Apr 17th, 2006, 04:27 PM

It is over a mile from the train station Nice Ville to the bus terminal. The bus terminal is on the edge of the "old town" near the beaches. I would take the train to Cagnes sur Mer and take the bus up the hill to St Paul de Vence from there. To get to the bus stop from the Cagnes sur Mer train station do this. First remember that there is a bus stop only a block from the train station but it is only of use to you if you are coming from St Paul de Vence not going to St Paul. The bus turns right before reaching this stop going to St Paul. Walk out of the station to the street, turn right, walk 3 blocks, turn left across the street and in front of the Automat Vending Store is the bus stop. Several buses stop there; you will want bus #400. You will pretty much do all there is to do in St Paul in about 3 hours so you might want to rent a car. I go there often because of the great art galleries there. If you don't like art you will be ready to leave in less than 3 hours.

Hope you like St Paul de Vence as much as I do.

Larry J
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 05:30 PM

It is too far to walk from the bus station in Nice to the train station if you have luggage. We took the bus from Nice to St Paul de vence. It was a very crouded bus, but the ride was under an hour.

Took the bus back to Cagne Sur Mer to get the train to Cannes. Train station was very close to the bus stop at Cagne Sur Mer, but have someone point it out. It is not obvious.

You don't need more than a half day at St Paul de Vence unless you are an art-lover.

It was a very beautiful spot. Have plenty of film!
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the good information on getting to St. Paul de Vence. Can we catch the train to Cagnes sur Mer from Nice Ville, which I understand is the main train station, or is there a different place for us to catch this train? By the way, we are big art lovers, which is why we chose St. Paul de Vence. We are leaving on a cruise from Monaco the next day and wanted to see something other than Nice or Monaco.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 12:17 PM

The train you take to Nice probably stops in Cagnes-sur-Mer. Check the timetables at www.bahn.de. Enter Cagnes-sur-Mer as your destination rather than Nice Ville. Click on "Show details" and then click on "Show intermediate stops."