Reload this Page >

travel from London to Frankfurt

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 06:12 PM
Bluesboogy

I am considering a trip starting in london going to Frankfurt, then back to london. Mid July (I think ive got a cheap air fair to london)<BR>any suggestions on the trip to and from? <BR>Im thinking train. <BR>any hints would be appreciated!<BR>

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 07:19 PM
Rex

There was recently a post about a cheap air fare LON-FRA on British Midland using their Discover Europe AirPass fare - - but the program may be ending at the end of May. I'll see if i can find it for you.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 05:29 AM
simon

Go and Buzz cheap airlines both run Frankfurt (Hahn) to London Stanstead.<BR><BR>Hahn is about 100 kM W of Frankfurt-a-main. And the connections to Frankfurt are not too hot.<BR><BR>Stanstead is about 50 kM N. of London.<BR>Connections into town, and all points N. especially Cambridge as next down the line are excellent.<BR><BR>The up side: it costs about USD 30 vs. USD 250 for "cheap" flights on regular lines like Lufthansa.<BR><BR>Check it out.<BR>

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 06:07 AM
Wayne

I wouldn't even give it a second thought. Flying is the best way to go unless you just like the extra time and hassle of train travel. As pointed out, you can save money via train but you can also save a bit if you search for discount air fares.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 06:07 AM
bettyk

I recently bought a one-way ticket from FRA to LHR for 20 May for US $129.50 on British Midlands (the Discover Europe Pass that Rex mentioned). I booked through their 800 number here in Arizona. Give them a call at 800-788-0555. They were very nice and helpful. I received my paper ticket in the mail within 3 days of making my reservations.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 07:11 AM
elvira

If you want only to do London and Frankfrt, then definitely fly both ways.<BR><BR>If you're looking to stopping somewhere in between and seeing some countryside, then do a train one way (London&gt;Paris or Brussels via Eurostar, then regular train(s) to Frankfurt) then fly back to London in time for your homeward bound flight.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 01:13 PM
Rex

Thanks for chiming in, bettyk - -I had forgotten where this info was posted, and couldn't find it. there's still the quesiton of how BM will be pricing ths route in July.<BR>

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 03:26 PM
bettyk

Rex, just for grins I went to British Midland's website and did a search for a round trip London - Frankfurt in July and got a fare of GPS 108 including tax! This wasn't limited to just a few flights either. Not bad.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 05:19 PM
Rex

Very interesting. Thanks redux.<BR>

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 12:54 AM
Lilli

Do not take a train, take a flight! And if you want a cheap flight, take Ryan Air (Irish airline), they do not use major airports, you will have to fly from London Stanstead and will arrive in Frankfurt Hahn (about 50 miles from Frankfurt city, but there is a bus), but it costs nothing, prices vary, but about US 50 return! You can book on www.ryanair.com<BR>If you need any information about Frankfurt: I live in Frankfurt.<BR><BR>

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 01:38 AM
Ben Haines

You are thinking train and we have ignored that thought. I see two routes. The usual is by day. Something like Waterloo 0827, Brussels Midi 1210 to 1225, buffet car train, Cologne 1457 to 1500, restaurant car train, Frankfurt 1714. <BR><BR>The better is overnight. Not Saturday or Sunday Waterloo 1827, Eurostar, Paris Nord 2223, ten minutes walk (or take a taxi) Paris Est board about 2240, train with 1 and 2 berth sleepers and crowded 6 berth couchettes, leave 2258, Frankfurt 0701. If you leave central London by tube at 1827 you will be at your check-in desk at the airport at 1930, in time for take-off at 2130 and landing in Frankfurt airport at 2330, whence you will go to bed in a hotel. I am suggesting that with more comfort and convenience you can go to bed in a train.<BR><BR>Please write if you would like advice on booking.<BR><BR>Welcome to Europe<BR><BR>Ben Haines, London<BR>