Oslo to Amsterdam by train

Mar 10th, 2002, 01:59 PM
Shannon

Any ideas on the best route from Oslo to Amsterdam by train -- would two night trains work -- one from Oslo to Copenhagen, then from Copenhagen to Amsterdam? Will there be many train changes?

Mar 10th, 2002, 02:41 PM
Ben Haines

Author: Shannon ([email protected])

I?m afraid the overnight from Oslo has ceased, and the overnight from Copenhagen runs to Duisburg but not to Amsterdam. So not a wonderful journey. The reference library of a city near you may have the Thomas Cook European Timetable. Tables 735 and 22 have your trains. Oslo 0730 (not Sundays), buffet car train, Goteborg 1135 to1240, restaurant car train, Copenhagen 1604 to 1851, Duisburg 0557 to 0620 (oh dear), buffet car train, Amsterdam 0856. An improvement is Copenhagen 1851, Cologne 0658 to 0716, restaurant car train, Amsterdam 0956.

Please write if I can help further.

Ben Haines, London

Mar 10th, 2002, 03:08 PM
jahoulih

Since there's no overnight train, you may want to consider the overnight ferry from Oslo to Copenhagen. It leaves at 17:00 and arrives 9:15 the next morning. I haven't used it myself, but it seems like a reasonable option. See www.seaeurope.com for fares.

Then spend the day in Copenhagen and, as Mr. Haines suggests, take the night train from there and change in Cologne for Amsterdam.

Mar 10th, 2002, 05:12 PM
Don

Alternatively, Oslo to Kristiansand, Color Line ferry (2.5 hours) to Hirtshals, then south through Jutland. However, this cuts out Copenhagen. I have taken the overnight ferry between Oslo and Copenhagen which isn't bad, but not much to see once you're out of the Oslofjord (and it's dark soon after anyway).

Mar 11th, 2002, 07:55 PM
Shannon

I appreciate all your help. I do have a copy of the Thomas Time Table, believe it or not -- it's been a travel bible for years. Does anyone know if the Ferry from Oslo to Copenhagen can be used with the Eurail pass? Does the ferry have cabins? And I guess, most importantly, will it turn my husband green or are the waters fairly calm? (My son & I do not have these issues!). Thanks, Shannon

Mar 11th, 2002, 11:25 PM
Bjorn

Eurail pass most probably can NOT be used on the ferry.
In the summer season the sea normally is calm. The Kattegat Sea (between Jutland and Sweden is not very deep, hence turbulence may occur. Meaning that from mid-september and onwards seasickness is more frequent.
But you'll be fine. Most likely it will be like a floor.

Leaving Oslo is a breeze, and landscape is pretty. Enjoy, at least until you pass the tiny town Drobak (left) and the Oscarsborg fortress (right), known for the attack and sinking of German "Blucher" at the first day of WW2 in Scandinavia.

Stay up early, have a breakfast buffet and enjoy the last 1.5-2 hours approach to Copenhagen. There also will be a short stop at Helsingborg(Sweden). On the starbord, though, you'll have Helsingør with the Kronborg Castle.

Bjorn, Oslo

Mar 12th, 2002, 02:07 AM
Mh

I just spent last weekend at the Admiral Hotel in Copenhagen and the Oslo-Copenhagen ferry docks right behind it. It leaves at apr. 17:00 and arrives at 8 the next morning. I was fascinated by this ship as it was the prominent view out of my hotel room window. I asked the front desk for a brochure to peruse and they have penthouse suites to 4 berth little cabins. The brochure did not list any prices, but the lady at the front desk said it is expensive.I throw away the brochure but should have brought it home and quickly posted the info so it would be out there for others...Copehnagen is just as cool as Amsterdam with regards to relaxing....