Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Umbria Hotels.... Best location for access to the region by car?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 02:07 PM
Sam

Looking for location and 2-3*Hotel suggestions to make the most of 4 days in the region. Soliciting feedback!<BR>

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 02:53 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Sam, Look at www.malvarina.it

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 07:26 PM
Betsy

Sam, do an archives search for Malvarina. Look at the top of this page and type "Malvarina" in the little box that says "text search." Then highlight Italy in the subject search box. You'll see several posts. <BR><BR>Bob the N is right on (as usual) about Malvarina. My husband and I stayed there in October and loved it. We stayed in the room named Il Casale , had a wonderful breakfast (included) in the breakfast room, and had dinner, cooked by Mama, for about $23 each at night. The room with breakfast was about $80. The property is high on a mountain overlooking the Umbrian valley floor. It's an easy 15 minute drive from Assisi and makes a great home base for touring Umbria. We saw Spello, Spoleto, Deruta, and Gubbio.<BR><BR>Buon viaggio

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 09:24 AM
Sam

Malvarina has a one week minimum and they are already booked for end of April. Need suggestions for 2or3 night stays, please.

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 09:52 AM
Betsy

Whoa, Sam. Didn't know about the one-week minimum. Must be new as we stayed four nights.

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Dale

SAM:<BR>Try Hotel La Bastilia at the top of Spello. Don't know the tarrif, but the kitchen is terrific. Buona fortuna.

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 02:50 PM
ttt

to the top

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 05:24 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Sam, Bummer !<BR>Try Hotel Umbra in Assisi. The Palazzo Bocci in Spello is great but may be a bit pricey for your budget. For a sleeper, look at www.levignole.com No pun intended. Good luck !

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 07:58 PM

Does Palazzo Bocci have a website? How much is pricey?!?

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 09:52 PM
Helen Donegan

Hi Sam<BR>Try Hotel Aurora in the centre of Spoleto - great restaurant, make sure you book half board if you want to eat there (much cheaper) - easy to walk around the town in the evening.<BR>http://www.hotelauroraspoleto.it/home_ing.htm<BR><BR>OR<BR><BR>Hotel Abbazia dei Collemedio - lovely position in the country but within easy access of the dual carriageway which links all towns in Umbria.<BR>Don't eat there - much better restaurants else where - make sure you book for the main hotel (not the annex).<BR>http://www.umbria.org/hotel/collemedio/eng/

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 10:44 PM
MK

If you try the Umbra, be sure to ask about parking, I don't think that you will be able to park near the hotel.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 03:06 AM
Zen

Palazzo Bocci is not what I'd call pricey. $125/double.