"Travel Euro Cheque"

Search

"Travel Euro Cheque"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Travel Euro Cheque"

We're staying at the Ca Angeli in Venice next summer. They accept payment in cash or "Travel Euro Cheques" only. I've read all the stuff about traveler's checks being useless, especially in EUROs -- and that Eurocheques haven't been issued in years. So what do the mean by a Travel Euro Cheque? Anyone know?

Thanks!

beeswing
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

OK, we wrote to the Ca Angeli to inquire.... In the meantime, my husband called Thomas Cook and they have something they call a "Euro Cash Exchange" -- does that ring any bells with anyone? Apparently it's like a cashier's check.

Four days in Venice, which is our third stop, booking a triple, adds up when they want cash only. That's a lot of cash to carry around and a lot to try to withdraw from cash machines (and we leave on a Sunday). So we're just looking for alternatives, if there are any.

Thanks!

beeswing
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 06:27 PM

Just go to your bank or a reputable travel exchange company and buy an international draft in euros made out to the Ca Angeli. It's like a cashier's check in euros. You should pay $5-$10 for it at most. Mail it or take it with you.
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, StCirq. If I have it right...and I'm not absolutely sure I do, which is why I was asking...what Thomas Cook is offering is the equivalent of a cashier's check in Euros.

In addition to the Ca Angeli in Venice, which we've already booked, I'm looking at the Hotel Casci in Florence, which (frankly) we can afford only if we can get the cash-only price. If the Ca Angeli says they will accept the so-called Euro Cash Exchange...I'll check with the Hotel Casci people and see if they will do the same. I was just hoping to hear from someone had experience with this particular Thomas Cook product -- or if not that, then something similar. (Thomas Cook is easiest because we have an office in town.)

beeswing
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 07:37 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I would be surprised if you get a decent exchange rate with Thomas Cook (aren't they now Travelex?).
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

I'm sorry, but I don't know anything about the Thomas Cook/Travelex connection. I just know our local office is still called Thomas Cook.

Within reason, the exchange rate isn't so much an issue to us -- the combination of convenience/safety and the fact that the Ca Angeli will accept cash (and maybe cash equivalents?) *only* is more to the point. With the Hotel Casci, the price difference between cash and credit card is 10% -- if the exchange rate difference doesn't exceed that, a cashier's check would still be to our advantage. Thanks for raising the issue, though!

beeswing
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

Actually, I asked the hubby re: Thomas Cook or Travelex. He's not sure what the office he goes to is actually called. In any case, the name/affiliation is less the issue than whether or not the product they provide might make it easier for us to pay the Italian hotels. Interesting question, though.

beeswing
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 10:10 PM

I strongly suspect you are looking at a mistranslation and they are asking for Travellers Cheques in Euro only
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 10:03 AM

I also suspect they simply mean travelers checks in euros, that's all. Travelers checks aren't useless, exactly, it's just they aren't easy to cash and a lot of banks won't do that any more -- but if a place says they'll take them, that's fine (and some places do that take only cash, not just in Italy). And it costs you a lot to get them in euro, also.

I think the name Thomas COok is still used in some places, and actually, Travelex bought them out, I believe.
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 10:23 AM

>>>>the price difference between cash and credit card is 10% -- if the exchange rate difference doesn't exceed that, a cashier's check would still be to our advantage<<<

I think it will cost you just as much to use Thomas Cook/Travelex as it would the credit card. That's how they make money.

I suspect a check in Euro from Thomas Cook will cost you a fee plus a lousy exchange rate. Today's current rates is 1.49 and I would assume Thomas Cook would charge you around 1.59. If you needed 500€ it would cost you $745 at 1.49, but $795 at 1.59 plus whatever fee they charge.

As for the international draft StCirq mentioned, it's about $40 at most of the banks in my area.

When you click around on the Travelex website to send money overseas, you are redirected to Western Union.
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 10:24 AM

Is it possible for you to withdraw your maximum from an ATM for three days, or enough days to pay the hotel bill, and then keep the money in a money belt? That's what I do when I want to pay cash for a hotel.
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 11:29 AM

Wow. $40.00 is more than I pay for a wire transfer! An international draft at my bank costs $5.00.
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Ca Angeli emailed us and told us to ask our bank about "Travel Euro Check." We'll probably try more time and ask if they mean traveler's checks in Euros. Can anyone confirm that assegno turistico means traveler's checks in Italian? I got that from a translation site and thought having the Italian term to clarify things might be helpful.

As far as the ATM option: The amount for a triple for 4 days in Venice is more than we want to try to get from an ATM or carry around. If we can't get clarification from Ca Angeli, we may book someplace that takes credit cards in frustration.

Thanks, all!

beeswing
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 11:57 AM

Many times on other threads, the following has been suggested:

Ask your bank to increase the daily amount you can withdraw from your account, if only for the time you plan to be traveling.

Take ATM cards for multiple accounts; you can withdraw the maximum from each one to reach the amount you need for your lodging payment.

If you don't have a sufficient number of accounts to allow you to withdraw the amount you need, open another account or two and get ATM cards for them. Use them all to make multiple withdrawals until you have the cash you need to make your lodging payment. Upon return, either close out the extra accounts, or keep them for future travel expenses.

If your bank resists, open accounts in another bank for your travel expenses. And let them know that you have done so.
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, imaginaryjazz. I did do a search before I posted this and read the threads -- with 4 days an accommodation for a triple at high-season rates, that sounds like more hassle than I want to deal with. I'd rather find out if they'll accept an alternative to cash, but I may give up on the idea soon!

beeswing
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 12:17 PM

Do you have to pay for all four days on arrival? If not, just get the cash daily and give it to the hotel. That way you don't have to carry it around.
Old Nov 20th, 2009, 07:27 AM

It seems like a lot of wasted time and trouble!
I would look for an accomodation that accepts credit cards. It seems in your current situation that there would be a lot of worry/hassle involved and it may not be worth it.
Old Nov 20th, 2009, 07:36 AM

Yes, un assegno turistico is a traveler's check.
Old Nov 20th, 2009, 09:01 AM

You are making this way more difficult than it is. You can each take at least 250€ (and probably more as that's only $375, but it depends on your daily withdrawal limit from your bank) out of the ATM machine each day. Are you saying your room is more than 500€ per night? I don't understand why you think you would need to carry it around or what leaving on a Sunday has to do with anything.
Old Nov 20th, 2009, 10:16 AM

We paid in cash for a triple several times on our last Italy trip, and we've done it previously, as well.

If we need to pay the bill over several days, as we withdraw the cash, the hotels have always been ok with this - they know what the daily ATM maximums are. We find an ATM closest to the hotel, and withdraw the daily maximum. We always take two separate credit cards, as a backup, so if necessary, we can withdraw the maximum for each card. Then we return immediately to the hotel and pay. That way we aren't walking around with more cash than we're comfortable with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -