Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Travel Books...which brand is best? (Die hard fodorites don't be offended)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2007, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This question is not meant to offend any die hard fodorites, but I was at Barnes looking at travel books for my upcoming study abroad and couldn't decide which books were best...some had more maps, some had more tips...I just need the best-The one that has the most money saving tips, with the most maps, with the most pictures, with the most info,etc.(I am a big Fodor's fan, but the books I looked at lacked mini maps for specific locations!?) So with that said, what do you prefer?- Rick Steves', Lonley Planet, Fodor's, Frommers, Let's Go? or something else?
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 05:14 AM

Why would that offend? There are actually many previous threads about this and everyone has their preference on writing style etc. I, along with many others, prefer DK EyeWtiness Guides. I also get the Streetwise maps of whatever cities we'll be visiting. They are small, floded laminated street maps and are very handy.
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 05:15 AM

Not the answer you want to hear, but do people really still use travel guides in this day and age of computers? I used to, but now would prefer to spend time in advance and download specific walking tours, hotel and restaurant recs, and attraction information as it applies to my trip and interests only.

But good maps are worth a purchase. I like the Streetwise ones of major cities that you can buy at Barnes and Noble or elsewhere.
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 05:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since my travel books are in German, I buy Merian and/or Dumont. I rarely travel somewhere without a travel book. They've got maps, ideas and suggested walking routes. It makes my trip so much easier!
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 05:20 AM

I do most of my research on the internet but do take a guide book to look up facts about a place..and other little tid-bits of info.
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 05:20 AM

Yes, I use travel books in the days of computer. I use lots of them. However, there is no best guide book series. They all have strengths and weaknesses. Before purchasing any, go to a book store and peruse the guides for your area. Then, if you want to purchase through, say, amazon, at a discount, you will have an idea of what is best for you.

I have a huge library of travel guides. I generally buy them from discounted sites when they are discontinued. The information on the major tourist sites generally remains stable even as that on hotels and restaurants is always in flux.
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 05:30 AM
carolinetaylor

If you are a student on a tight budget, Lonely Planets Europe on a shoestring is a really good buy. It gives you a good overview of all the countries in Europe and also lots of tips for cheap places to stay eat etc.

Old Aug 15th, 2007, 05:30 AM

My personal favourite is DK Eyewitness
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone...Anyone have a link to any of the threads that discussed people's preferences on travel books?
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 05:34 AM

Rick Steves
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

CarolineTaylor... what is the difference between the regular lonley planet book and the lonely planet on a shoestring? More condensed?
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 05:42 AM

I am a fan of Baedeker's Travel Books: sometimes they may be too localized (i.e., Baedeker's Barcelona and Baedeker's Costa Brava have a lot of overlap). Baedeker's Madrid is among my favorites
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 05:45 AM

My comments refer to Greece travel guides but also can apply across the board. I too have a shelf-full, and get newer versions of certain ones periodically.

When people ask me, I recommend DK Eyewitness Guides for the best Overview of a country, and seeing which areas attract you most -- E-W are very strong visually; not just photos, but 3-d color graphics of cathedrals, ancient ruins, other complex sites. However, this is for research, not for carrying along.

For deep background, I like Cadogan guides (but NO illustration). For my budgeteering trips and the best town maps (GReece) I use the latest Rough Guides and OLD Lonely Planets (2002).. in recent years LP has dropped its most economical food/lodging tips and has gone el cheapo on Maps and they're AWFUL -- grey-on-grey so you can't photocopy to carry in your pocket. Shame shame!

I also have a Fodor; some good drives, but aims at older/richer tastes than mine. Also a 2005 Frommer's-- welcome candor,mid-range eats & beds,good for advising others even if I can't afford them!

Bottom line: check Rough GUide to buy for budget; compare with others. Xerox copiously from library... this year I ONLY took xeroxed segments.
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 05:46 AM

There is no such thing as a best guide book. The choice depends on many factors. When I'm planning where to go, I might want to read a book with lots of pictures and descriptions. When I travel, I don't want to look at pictures of the places I'm visiting but I do want a book with lots of practical detail. I usually try to borrow a Rough Guide or Lonely Planet Guide from the library, to get an up-to-date edition - if I can't get one, I'll take one of my own which may be less up to date. If I have to choose between them, I'll look at a less well known place: any guide to Italy should have a chapter on Venezia, but I might be visiting somewhere like the Tremiti islands - any guide book which ignores this beautiful archipelago is not a good guide to Italy as far as I'm concerned.
Of course, I also use the internet for research, but a guide book covering the history and culture of a country is good to read during train or bus journeys. I also like to take maps, phrase books and pocket dictionaries.
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 05:50 AM
carolinetaylor

The on a shoestring is a condensed version of the European guides and is specifically aimed at budget travellers.

I used it when i was on a study abroad trip and found it invaluable for recommendations for cheap hostels etc.

It also gives excellent information about the public transportation systems in the countries.

Old Aug 15th, 2007, 06:02 AM

There are many threads on this, and different people surely have different tastes and like different things in guidebooks. There is no one "best" guidebook, and I think you are just going to do it the hard way and actually decide yourself based on what you want. I, for example, dislike DK Eyewitness books quite a lot and think they are some of the worst on the market in terms of content and information. It also can really vary by the location, and some brands can be pretty good in some locations, not so good in others. Or there may be a particuolar guidebook that specializes in one area so it may trump the general ones (like Fodors) in one particular area.

I like both Frommers and Fodors for the most general ones, but I do have preferences in locations on those -- Fodors was better in Spain, for example, Frommers in Prague. I've liked some other ones also. I don't like Rick Steves very much at all, but some of his train info was of minor use in Switzerland, and his town walking tours weren't too bad in that country. I think he's pretty bad for Paris, though.

I know I should, but somehow never have really liked Lonely Planet guidebooks much for any place I've visited, they are always second choice to others. Let's Go is clearly a niche market and good for that market, but it can't even be compared to some of these others.

So, you'll have to decide for yourself.
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 06:12 AM
twk

No one travel guide will fill all your needs.

For getting an overview and deciding where to go, I usually will consult both Rick Steeves (which only covers part of any country, does not attempt to give a complete overview, but offers some concrete advice on possible itineraries) and DK Eyewitness (which gives a broader overview). Between those two, I can usually figure out where I want to go.

As for travel logistics, I've gotten to the point that most of that is done by using the internet. But, if you want something to carry with you to give you some detailed information, the Michelin Green Guide is a good choice provided that you can find one that corresponds to your trip (for example, if you're going to Scotland, but not the rest of the UK, you want the Green Guide for Scotland, not the Green Guide for Great Britain).
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 06:17 AM

I just get a nice stack at the local library. Eyewitness to give me some ideas and move on from there.

The internet is great for when I want to get specific. And it should go without saying, the search function here at Fodors is excellent.
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 06:23 AM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34677207

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34806074

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34704180

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...mp;tid=1285805
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 06:27 AM

We usually take combination of three - InSight Guides, Rick Steeves and the 'for dummys' series. If we have a significant amount of time in a location, InSight has great walking tours to cover tons of ground and sometimes out of the way attractions. If the time is a bit shorter or the attention span will be less, we use the Dummy's guide since it boils down the important 'stuff' - like top 10 things to see in the Louve or Rijksmuseum. Steeves does a great job of finding smaller places, prioritizing sites and giving hints on great out of the way places to stop or eat. For good maps and photographs, Insight is our choice but it has very little in terms of restaurants or hotel info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -