Travel between Nice and Barcelona

Mar 14th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Travel between Nice and Barcelona

My sister and I (and our husbands) will be flying into Nice mid-October and staying in Mougins for one week. From there, we will travel to Girona, Spain. What form of transportation do you recommend we use between these two cities? We will be flying home out of Barcelona.
Mar 14th, 2010, 12:53 PM

Hi,

I would go for the train. The fastest connection takes approximately 9 hours and involves a change of train in Montpellier. The train stops in Girona enroute from Nice to Barcelona so there is no need to back track from Barcelona.
Mar 14th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I would imagine the scenery between Nice and Barcelona is beautiful! We were thinking about stopping along the way if we kept our rental car, but that would require us to pay a drop fee for a one-way rental. It is my understanding a car is suggested when staying in Mougins and also in Girona due to their location. What is your opinion?
Mar 14th, 2010, 02:42 PM

I would want a car in Mougins to explore all the coast and hill towns but it's possible without one as there is bus service and train service throughout the region. A car would not be needed in Girona if you're just planning an overnight.

Yes, there will likely be a hefty drop-off charge if you leave the car in Spain having picked it up in France. I would weigh that charge plus the number of days you would use the car on your way to Spain vs. the cost of 4 adult train tickets. Train might still be cheaper but do the math first.

Have a great trip.
Mar 14th, 2010, 03:42 PM

If you consider keeping your rented car and drive it to Girona maybe a cheaper option could be to drop it off in Perpignan or in Cerbere and catch a train from there? Girona is very close to the French border. By leaving the car in a French city, maybe the drop-off charge will not be too hefty? We have not done this in France but in Italy we have rented cars in one city and droped it off in another and the drop-off charge wasn't too hefty.
Mar 14th, 2010, 05:09 PM

While there would be a hefty fee for picking up a car in France and dropping it off in Spain, there should be NO fee if you both pick up and drop off a car in France, even with a one-way rental.
Mar 14th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

hoxa61: If we decide to drop the rental car in Perpignan or Cerbere, would it be possible to rent a car when we arrive in Girona? We will need to have a car during our stay in Girona also. Also, do you recommend one car rental agency over another? Please let me know. Thanks!
Mar 14th, 2010, 07:21 PM

I recommend Auto Europe, a consolidator that finds you the best price from among the rental companies with which it has contracts. AE shows points in Perpignan and Girona (listed as Gerona on their site). It does NOT list anything for Cerbere.
Mar 15th, 2010, 12:28 AM

Some thoughts on alternatives ...

You can fly :

Nice-Barcelona with Vueling.

Girona airport has rental cars and shuttle buses into Barcelona.

Frogbus.com goes between Perpignan and Girona airport.
Mar 15th, 2010, 04:30 AM

While the fastest train route does take 9 hours, there are more connections required than the one at Montpellier. The route is Nice-Avignon TGV-Avignon Centre-Montpellier-Girona. The ride from Avignon TGV to Avignon Centre is by bus. See the timetables at www.bahn.de.