Barcelona to Toulouse: advice needed on renting a car or taking a train

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm flying into Barcelona for a 2-week trip in the Languedoc - Roussillon area in August. I have a question regarding transportation.
If I rented a car from Barcelona after an overnight flight on which I probably didn't get much sleep, how difficult would it be to get to Perpignan (where I have to pick up some people), then to Toulouse? How long does it take to get to Perpignan and how is the driving? Would it be better to take the train? I'm also thinking of crashing at a hotel near the train station in Perpignan just to sleep off the jet lag, and then renting a car from there the next day, or proceeding by train to Toulouse. But that seems like I might be wasting time a bit.

How have other people fared driving a long distance on little sleep? Can anyone give me some advice? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 06:27 PM

You don't want to pick up a rental car in Barcelona and leave it in France - will probably cost you about $500 to drop off in another country (for the obvious reasons).

My own rule about driving after overnight flight (on which I never sleep) is 2 hours max.

Why are you flying into Barcelona for a trip to Languedoc-Roussillon? Why aren't you flying into Toulouse?
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 08:45 PM

Rent the car in Barcelona only if you plan to fly out of Barcelona. Don't count on getting to Perpignan on the same day, but it might be worth picking up the car and getting out of the Barcelona area before stopping for the night.
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 08:54 PM

Barcelona to Perpignan is 2 hours at most on the motorway. Unless you are returning the car in Spain, I would take a train to Perpignan and spend the night there.
There are two direct trains a day from Barcelona. See timetable at www.tgv-europe.com (the other trains are slower and sometimes involve a long wait at the border).
The next morning you can take a train to Toulouse.
Hotel Balladin's is very convenient - almost in front of Perpignan station.
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 10:08 PM

Six years ago, I could have rented a car and driven all day right after landing from a trans Atlantic flight, without a second thought. Six weeks ago, I rented a car in Barcelona and drove to Languedoc only after a much-needed night's sleep, and wouldn't have felt safe driving any distance right after the long flight. How are your reflexes after sleep deficit? How well do you read sign posts in Spanish and French, especially when tired? You're the best one to answer your question.(The reason I didn't fly into Toulouse was because I was using airline miles and it was either Barca or Paris. I did, however, return the rental car in Spain.)
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 11:29 PM

"How have other people fared driving a long distance on little sleep? "

Terribly.

You're driving a lethal weapon in two countries that speak a lanuage different from yours. You appear from your question to have no experience at all of what you're proposing to do

If you don't know for absolute certain that:
- you'll have had a proper night's sleep
- you'll be comfortable driving
- you won't be a danger to anyone

then you're an irresponsible fool even to contemplate this stupid menace to the safety of ordinary French and Spanish people.

If you are such a fool, I strongly suggest you stay in your own country where only your compatriots will be exposed to your irresponsibility.
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Oh dear, I hope I'm not such a fool to drive irresponsibly, but I definitely will heed everyone's very helpful advice. I originally planned to take the train to Perpignan, and now it's confirmed.

Thanks for the name of the hotel in Perpignan near the train station. I'll also check out the tgv website. Flying into Toulouse doesn't work because I'm meeting people in Barcelona at the tail end of the trip.

Thanks again!
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 07:04 AM

<<Flying into Toulouse doesn't work because I'm meeting people in Barcelona at the tail end of the trip.>>

Then why don't you fly into Toulouse and out of Barcelona?
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 08:30 AM

A round trip with car should work; just plan your trip in such a way that the return to Barcelona is as interesting as going to Toulouse.
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 09:11 AM

We did drive the round trip from Barcelona to Toulouse and it was interesting to me, even retracing parts of our route by going up and down the Costa Brava. (I really wanted to return through Andorra, but the weather was still a bit iffy.)
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 01:14 PM

I'd suggest taking the train from Barcelona to Narbonne and either renting a car there (Avis location very near the gare) or booking thru to Toulouse--you'd have to transfer at Narbonne in either case.
You'd have to see how the schedules would fit in with your personal one, but while I have always (10+trips) driven, I know the value of taking a train, and you'd see some beautiful scenery of all kinds by taking the train...including things you wouldn't see from the highway.
Two hotels are very close to the station, Will's (which I read one bad review of, and is said to fill up quickly)
www.willshotel-narbonne.com of which Rough Guide Languedoc Pyrenees said:
Friendly place and a travellers' standby which accepts pets and has amenities like t and cable but fills up quickly.
Next to the station is Hotel l'Alsace. No website, but Ville de Narbonne provides email address:
[email protected] says rooms are 37 to 48 euro.
Rough Guide says: Just across from the station, this small, old fasioned two star hotel is cleanm but the rooms are on the small side.
-------------------------------------
That being said, I do like Pvoyageuse's advice on Perpignan and I've stayed at a lot of Balladins on my last trip (April 2010) and while some are a little older I've found them clean, friendly and affordable. I mention Narbonne because I prefer Narbonne to Perpignan...
If you do drive to Toulouse, make sure you have plenty of coins as you'll be needing them for the peage.
And here's a link for a listing of all the rental car companies in Perpignan:

http://www.creme-de-languedoc.com/La.../perpignan.php

Hope you have a wonderful, wonderful time!