Travel between Barcelona & Sevilla

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Michelle

Travel between Barcelona & Sevilla

Greetings,<BR>I want to travel between Barcelona and Sevilla Sunday Nov. 3rd and return Tuesday Nov 5th. The Iberia website quotes prices of $330 and up. roundtrip. Is this the lowest rate I'll find ?<BR>Is it possible to travel by rail and if so, what sort of price ?<BR>Finally, can either of these routes be purchased once there (in Spain).<BR>Any advice would be greatly appreciated !<BR>m.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 12:05 PM
Leslie

Michelle, you can check the Renfe site for train travel, but I believe that the ride is approximately 10+ hours. You might be better off getting a cheap airline ticket from Barcelona to Madrid (between $50 and $80) and then taking the AVE from Madrid to Seville which is a 2.5 hour ride. Otherwise, the closer to your dates, check the airfares, but they appear to be quite high between Barcelona and Seville. I am making a similar trip between Granada and Barcelona, and the cost by air is about $220, but I have seen it as low as $150 on certain dates. <BR><BR>Also, check into buying a roundtrip airline ticket, sometimes they are cheaper than 1 way, and then you can just throw the second leg away.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Leslie

Oops, didn't realize that you needed a roundtrip ticket, so disregard that portion of my message about throwing away the second leg of the air ticket if that is the way you want to go.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Andre

Michelle, <BR><BR>Air Europa has a fare of EUR 242 including taxes & fees.<BR><BR>www.aireuropa.com<BR><BR>Flight times are a little weird though - leave Barcelona at 19:10, arrive Seville 20:45; on the way back leave Seville at 22:20, arrive Barcelona 23:55! <BR><BR>BTW, if you leave a day earlier, you're eligible for a "weekend" fare: 231 EUR. The flight schedule is different though: leave Barcelona @ 14:10, arrive Seville @ 15:45.<BR><BR>There's also a luxury sleeper train called the "Trenhotel". A single "gran clase" cabin with private toilet & shower would cost EUR 168 each way, cheaper options are of course available (plus you save a hotel night). You MIGHT also have to purchase a ticket Check<BR>www.renfe.es<BR>for more info. The train leaves Barcelona at 22:00 and arrives in Seville at 8:08.<BR><BR>It might be interesting to take the train TO Seville on the night of the 2nd to the 3rd and fly back - the o/w fare is EUR 121. This would give you 3 full days in Seville and would be quite cheap, since you save a hotel night.<BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR>Andre

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 12:56 PM
Andre

Michelle,<BR><BR>As a P.S., here's a link to a thread describing the night train I refered to (it goes onward to Granada):<BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&tid=1353868<BR><BR>It would appear the price of EUR 168 for a single Gran Clase cabin is indeed correct, no additional ticket purchase required.<BR><BR>Andre

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 01:07 PM
Leslie

Michelle, it appears that flying on November 3 increases the fare by $100, as you won't have a Saturday night stay. If you can depart from Barcelona on November 2nd or even the 1st, the fare drops by $100 to $224. Check out www.europebyair.com to see all of your options.