travel attire

Sep 26th, 2001, 03:51 PM
Susan Eligh

travel attire

I have heard that people in Italy normally dress more formally than we do in the U.S. As a retired school teacher, I am used to "dressing up" for school. My husband, however, insists that it is perfectly acceptable for tourists in Italy to wear Levi's. Who is right?

Sep 26th, 2001, 03:57 PM
Bebe

You are both right. People in Italy do dress very well. I just returned from a two week visit and was amazed at how nicely everyone dressed. All of the men looked like they came right out of GQ magazine. Many tourists do wear jeans and it is perfectly acceptable. However, after seeing how well dressed the Italians were I felt more comfortable wearing something nicer than jeans in the large cities and at dinner.

Sep 26th, 2001, 04:00 PM
Susan

Did anyone read the Frugal Traveller in the NY Times this past weekend. It was all about how the author dresses when she travels. Personally I thought she was right on.

Sep 26th, 2001, 05:16 PM
XXXXX

read it, but she certainly has a sense of style and self that a lot of tourists can't manage. and she lives and works in a city, and travels a lot and has resources that some can't manage. also I think she is younger and can get away with a lot more than the middle aged

Sep 26th, 2001, 05:59 PM
Gigi

Susan,
Loved the New York times piece. I think people of all ages can glean something from her statements on style.

Sep 26th, 2001, 06:07 PM
mike

Is there a link to the piece? Or what did she say? Thanks much, M.

Sep 26th, 2001, 06:09 PM

Sep 26th, 2001, 06:38 PM
john g

You don't have to spend alot of money to dress well. That is ridiculous. Some of the worst-dressed people I have ever seen are in head-to-toe Gucci. A pair of jeans are just as expensive as a pair of regular slacks. I have been on tours with rich American women and they went around in a housedress. Believe me, people do treat you differently when you are well dressed. I have seen with my own eyes how shopkeepers and waiters behave when waiting on someone with shoddy sandals and black socks, and someone in polished shoes and pressed slacks. Open your eyes and look in a mirror! JG

Sep 26th, 2001, 07:42 PM
Elizabeth

I loved that article, thank you.

Sep 27th, 2001, 07:24 AM
ro

wear whatever your comfortable with. i did not see anyone so dressed up. mostly casual. i will say, there were no shorts and no sleeveless tops.

Sep 27th, 2001, 12:52 PM
Cheryl Z.

Hello susan,
On our trips to Italy, my husband (who likes jeans too) wears khakis, which are "safer" and more versatile. They can be worn in casual circumstances as well in more dressy places. We very seldom see other than teens wearing jeans over there. What time of year are you going? If it's next summer, Italy is very hot, and jeans would be too heavy anyway.

Sep 27th, 2001, 01:32 PM
Brooke

I just wanted to add my two cents here because I'm afraid Susan may be getting the wrong idea here -- I just got back from my first trip to Italy and really did not see a lot dressing up at all. Yes, I saw some random guys in nice suits, but most people I would say were in fact wearing sleeveless tops and khakis and sandals or even shorts (but not a good idea if wanting to visit churches). We were in Venice, Florence and all through Tuscany and Italian Riveria. You can dress comfortably but still have a nice appearance.

Oct 1st, 2001, 09:02 PM
Susan Eligh

Thanks for all your help. We will be in Italy for the last two weeks in October and the first two weeks in November, touring by car. We are going to take your advice of wearing "good clothes" in the cities and more casual clothing while in the car.