Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone just back from/in Italy...last minute clothing pack question

Sep 27th, 2001, 08:47 AM
Ila

With all the positive posts from recent travelers in Italy (Bebe et al), how could we resist getting on that plane?! Thanks to all for reporting info. We're leaving Saturday for 3 weeks in Rome, Florence, and Sorrento: a well-planned trip thanks to this board above all, and I'll dutifully report back to you re:hotels and restaurants we hit. To anyone there or just returning, esp. ladies.... I haven't been to Italy in October; the weather sites are reporting temps between 58-74 range for that period. Styles, practicality and packing space considered, would you do a couple blazers, long/short-sleeve sweaters, knee-length all weather coat, or waist-length quilted jacket? Layering is assumed....looks like a big temp jump from day to night. Thanks!

Sep 27th, 2001, 09:13 AM
mshaw

Hello!
I was in Italy last September 29th-Oct 16th. We were in Florence and Cinque Terre,Siena. It was very warm during the day...we hiked in shorts and t-shirts...I layered..a blazer in the evening in Florence feels good. It does rain in Italy in the Fall, so a raincoat is good.I live in the desert so the humidity made the days feel hot to me. I don't recall ever having to wear a long sleeve sweater...Hope this helps!Maggie

Sep 27th, 2001, 09:40 AM
Helen Donegan

Hi Ila
Everything you say is right about the temperature - at the moment here in Umbria /Tuscany it is sunny and warm but chilly out of the sun, in the evening it can be cool.
Today most people were wearing trousers and a long sleeved blouse with a light jumper/cardigan - a 3/4 length jacket, not too heavy, will be enough for the evening.

Sep 27th, 2001, 09:44 AM
Ila

Thanks, Maggie!
That did help a lot. We're having a cold wave in Atlanta that's making me question my light travel stuff! Sounds like from Rex and others it's raining a LOT...I will take a nylon raincoat.

Sep 27th, 2001, 09:48 AM
Ila

Thanks to you also, Helen!
Sounding like my L.A. homeland in winter. Good description!

Sep 27th, 2001, 10:05 AM
Gigi

Ila,
I usually purchase a serape when in Italy or France. I found a lovely wool one, in black, yet (!), in Roma. It is a great accessory for evenings when it does get cooler. They can be found pretty easily.
I also received a catalog from the Metropolitan Museum of Art with a fantastic scarf pictured. It covered like a serape and was beautiful. I can't find it on the Met's website. I guess I could scan it in if you wanted me to email it. Let me know if you would like to see it.
Have a wonderful trip!
Gigi

Sep 27th, 2001, 10:07 AM
Vita

I'm getting a little concerned about the rain. Does it typically rain a lot around that time? Or just a quick shower here and there?

Sep 27th, 2001, 10:36 AM
Helen Donegan

Vita relax - please relax - stop worrying so much.

Sep 27th, 2001, 10:48 AM
Ila

Hey, Gigi:
Great idea...I'll check them out in Rome! Thanks.

Sep 27th, 2001, 11:07 AM
Vita

LOL. Helen, I guess you've been following my neurotic posts. If I'm posting a lot it's just because I'm too excited to stop thinking about Italy and I have another week to go. Planning is the only thing that staves the anticipation!!! I know I'd be fine if I had to leave tomorrow. Now about the rain...?

Sep 27th, 2001, 11:11 AM
Helen Donegan

Email me directly - I will give you my phone number and you can ring me when you are here - I will protect you and say a prayer to keep the rain away!!!

Sep 27th, 2001, 11:15 AM
Vita

Thanks!!!

Sep 27th, 2001, 11:50 AM
ellen

Do prepare for rain. When we were in Tuscany last mid-October, there was a terrible rain storm in southern Europe and the day we visited Siena it absolutely poured buckets, all day. Do bring waterproof shoes, and a plastic or nylon raincoat.

Sep 27th, 2001, 02:39 PM
robin-k

Ila:

Don't go overboard on the long sleeves or heavy items. You will see cooler temps in evening in Florence & possibly some raindrops there. But I don't think I've EVER brought a coat to Italy (4 trips with 2 of them in October -- one in early Oct-1997 & other mid/late Oct-2000. Early October in Rome and Sorrento is fabulous weather !

I live in Texas, so you can gage my weather frame of reference.

Sep 27th, 2001, 04:11 PM
Diane

Besides, if you find it is really "too cool," you can always buy a lovely little leather jacket....sigh....it will be a valued souvenir!

Sep 27th, 2001, 05:24 PM
cd

I am going to Florence & Rome the second wk in Oct.From all the info I have gotten, it is like the northeast US-sunny/cool days,cooler nights,I am bringing my faithful black leather jacket, goes everywhere day & night.Then long sleeve tee's,light sweaters and one cashmere that is in case of real cool weather.NO Raincoat! I refuse to think it will rain, but when we were in London one year and it rained, I bought an umbrella, and it stopped raining! So, just think that it will not rain, you can always buy something there!Buon Viaggio~

Sep 27th, 2001, 05:44 PM
Vita

It sounds pretty much like the weather here in DC. But at least if it gets cold on my trip, I'll have better coffee and wine to warm me up.

Sep 28th, 2001, 01:34 AM
carolee

I agree with those people suggesting leather jackets. Returned from Sorrento area just recently and leather was in abundance. If you don't have one, you can buy one at a very good price in florence or Sorrento.

Sep 28th, 2001, 02:31 AM
Cristina

Today and yesterday were great here in Siena BUT this has been the coldest September in the 7 years I have been here. Some nights getting as low as 45F. Very abnormal. Bring a sweater and a rain jacket (you never know with the rain). Be prepared for cold and warm and rain. We just can't predict the weather this year. If it rains, then head on into a museum and enjoy.

Sep 28th, 2001, 05:54 AM
Ila

Oh thank you all so much! I just finished packing, thanks to your input.
A couple Italian-knit style pantsuits, long and short sleeved thin sweaters & slacks and casual blazer...and may I share my favorite, indispensible 2 travel wardrobe items that are great for all but summer? (1) The Travelsmith (.com) Indispensible long sleeved black travel dress (it really does not wrinkle) (2) Wintersilks (.com) tank style and long-sleeved silk undershirts...don't panic, they're slinky, v-neck option, perfect layering tool and featherweight. The Travelsmith Lycra dress hides every flaw (trust me), is machine washable, and goes for about $90. NYT rates it #1, too. I like it with chunky boots and a big scarf, but pearls and heels work as well.

Thanks for the Sorrento leather jacket leads, and great, Cristina!! Reporting live from Italy! Oh, I'll be so thankful to arrive safely that I'll splash in the rain puddles....
Will report the end of October. Cheers! Ila

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO