Travel Arrangements???

Search

Travel Arrangements???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2004, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel Arrangements???

Is it better to do your own travel arrangements? I'm not sure it's worth getting a travel agency. Anyway, do they charge a fee for services? I'm going to Italy in Nov for 12 days. TIA
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 08:00 AM

Hi
Most, not all, travelers on this board recommend independent arrangements and travel, but there are a lot of factors.
If you could provide information on your age, stamina, plans made so far (which cities are you flying from and to), budget, and general interests, you can get a lot of information right here from people who know.

There are a few good travel agents out there, I guess, but too many of them don't have much travel information, and too many of them make recommendations based on which businesses will pay their commissions.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 08:37 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Because you're asking the question on this BB, most posters here for most situations prefer (and even enjoy!) to make their own arrangements.

If you are willing to spend the time and research a flight, hotels and how to take the train for a simple itinerary (say 2-3 cities) is easy. Between a good guidebook or two and the internet tons of information is readily available.

If you want something more complicated or are not comfortable doing it yourself, you might talk to a travel agent. But make sure you work with someone who actually knows something about Italy, preferably even spent time there themselves (some of the dumbest arrangements I've heard were suggested by a TA).

Old Jul 9th, 2004, 08:54 AM
mio

I agree with both replies. When I was researching for my trip to Italy in May, somebody said that the research was half the fun.... He/she was right.
I have to admit that my husband and I have a bit more of an independent spirit and could not have done that well with a big group. Maybe if it was a group of friends traveling, it would be different for us.
So it is up to you to decide if you want the security of someone making all the arrangements and leaving you worry free (virtually). Or if you want to make your own reservations of the best recommended hotels, places to see, and tours.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 09:30 AM

If you're not comfotable making your own arrangements a TA can do it for you. There will be charges for all arrangements (unless you choose hotels that pay commission to the agents - usually only large chain hotels or the most expensive independents).

Also shop carefully for an agent. I have found few that are actually useful - since most have not spent much time in europe. For your trip the agent should have spent substatial time in Italy - and preferably have seen in (even if not stayed in) the hotels they are recommending.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 10:20 AM

You might want to opt for something in between doing it all yourself and hiring a travel agent. Check out the www.slowtrav.com site - there are a couple of people over there, at least one of whom IS a travel agent (and a genuine expert on Italy), who will "build" a trip for you on an hourly fee basis.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 11:54 AM

I would recommend doing it yourself. Train travel in Italy is easy, and relatively cheap, compared to other countries. The different parts of Italy are all so different, and you never know...you may meet some people along the way who can recommend places to you to see. If you do things yourself, you have all the flexibility in the world. All you have to do to get from city to city, is show up at the train station about 30 minutes before your train leaves to buy a ticket. You won't need reservations or anything. Live free!
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 12:14 PM

Hi Snowflake - I'd have to agree with nytraveler. I've used agents several times and found them to be really a waste of time. In fact, the last time I used one was when I didn't have time and had a complicated trip. But in the end I was the one who found the hotels, the site for train tickets, the travel insurance, and had to remind the agent of a lot of things. Then, when my first flight time changed out of my hometown, I wasn't notified by the agent. Fortunately it all worked out, but I fixed it myself. I've also found that agents don't have that much information if you are trying to connect with an interesting tour, not just the run of the mill, 30-on-a-bus-all-day type tour. Many are specializing now, but the one I used last "specialized" in foreign travel according to his ad. But he was really selling his own tour to Peru - he was disinterested in Europe. If you decide to use one, interview them first. That last one cost me $200 in fees that I could have spent on chocolates.