Travel and romance

Jul 12th, 1999, 11:17 AM
Vicky

Travel and romance

I've been obcessed with travel the past three years but as a single woman, most often go alone as my friends either can't afford to go or are married. Has anyone met their partner on this forum and gone on to travel together and become a couple? I think it would be a great start to have this interest in common. Vicky

Jul 12th, 1999, 11:27 AM
martha fright

Well, I was sort of harboring a hope of getting together with Elvira, Hellie, and a few others, but I didn't think it would be especially romantic.
I believe Tony Hughes is unattached, if you're interested.

Jul 12th, 1999, 11:49 PM
Martha B

Well, it was ten years ago, and not through this forum, but I was on vacation in the Virgin Islands when a retired rancher from California hit me up with a spectacular pick-up line: "How would you like to sail to Venezuela with me on my yacht?"
I suppose I should ask him whether it's all right to broadcast this bit of personal history, but he's outside right now, watering the garden....

Jul 13th, 1999, 06:55 AM
Helen

Why Martha, you sly navigatrix you! That is exactly the kind of deliciously written, personal tidbit I will miss when the digression police have their way with the Forum. Now get serious, girl, back to studying those tide tables. Someone may post a factual question soon. (Is it just the rosy haze of the Internet, or are you truly leading an idyllic life over there in France? Inquiring minds want to know.)

Jul 13th, 1999, 09:38 AM
Martha B

At the moment, it does seem fairly idyllic. It's pretty hard to take anything seriously in France on the eve of 14 Juillet!

Jul 13th, 1999, 10:53 AM
Tony Hughes

thank you Martha .... umm.. I am single as it happens ...Vicky, do you like haggis?? Could you grow to love it?

Martha B, what a coincidence that the guy you met in the Virgin Islands is now your gardener!!

Helen, I like the cut of your jib ! that posting was funny.

Jul 13th, 1999, 11:05 AM
Dawn

The best trip I ever took to Europe was the first, I was a single woman traveling alone. I met sooo many men, I still can't believe it. My plane hadn't even left the ground when a gorgeous man moved over to sit next to me, and a fine romance began. I guess because I'm blond, and blue eyed and stand out like a sore thumb and I was mostly in Italy. I met men literally everywhere I went. Boy, was it fun. Never had I ever had my ego stroked like that before or since. I have since met and married my husband who is from Tuscany. Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Jul 13th, 1999, 06:39 PM
Will N. Reddy

Martha - any chance your gardener has a gay brother who is single?

Jul 13th, 1999, 07:57 PM
Mia

Martha,

Thank you for sharing that personal
tidbit....it was so inspiring!

Jul 13th, 1999, 10:21 PM
nickie

That was really funny, Tony! Is anyone reminded of the movie "If this is Tuesday, this must be Belgium" ?

Jul 13th, 1999, 11:42 PM
Martha B

Sorry, Will, not only is my gardener's brother not gay, but he's happily married to an American woman he met when they were both on vacation in Mexico. Is it just that family, or do these vacation romances pan out more often than we think?

Jul 16th, 1999, 03:51 PM
topper

!

Jul 16th, 1999, 03:53 PM
topper

!

Jul 24th, 1999, 10:37 AM
Kavita

Ha ha ha
Yes this is a fun post...

I _can_ admit to holiday romances but none that led to long term relationships...

But luckily my hub is happy to let me do _*ALL*_ the planning for our holidays so I always get to go where I fancy, (thou I know his tastes well enough not to take us to a beach in Benidorm even if I did want to)!

Kavey

Dec 1st, 1999, 08:43 PM
Emily

I guess this would be the first posting about two Fodorites who met at long last and found romance! I just got home yesterday and already I want to return (in fact I didn't really want to come home!). Originally, I emailed Tony asking advice about my trip to the UK with friends...soon we were writing daily and even talking on the phone from time to time. We made plans to meet when I made it to Edinburgh, what a wonderful place for a first "date". (For all the motherly types out there, I was careful, he's not a psychopath, I wasn't in any danger.) Meeting him was like seeing an old friend, worth the long wait for sure. I spent the remainder of my trip there (including thanksgiving), sightseeing/shopping during the day and meeting Tony for dinner almost every night. Leaving was the hardest part, I would have stayed there forever but we both knew I had to go. I have no doubt that I'll see him again, soon I hope because I already miss him and its only been two days...

Dec 2nd, 1999, 08:09 AM
Helen

Hey, I thought Vicky was the one getting fixed up with Tony! Maybe she coldn't abide haggis. Hope she's not too upset.
Hmm, a Fodor's romance. This is way cool! Do tell all, Emily. We want pictures!
Edinburgh, the City of Love! Who'da thunk it? (Stella, is this making your face rossa? Will you be taking up gardening?)
Best wishes,
Helen

Dec 2nd, 1999, 09:16 AM
martha python

I hope we'll all be invited to the wedding. Will haggis be served?

Dec 2nd, 1999, 09:58 AM
Beth

If haggis is served, will it be in a tube(tm)? and for wedding favors, may I suggest washcloths?

Dec 2nd, 1999, 10:14 AM
martha python

Actually, for a wedding reception, shouldn't it be little haggises- in-blankets? And some sort of IrnBru-based punch?

Gotta have washcloths for favors.

Emily, please tell us something about your heritage so we can start making stereotype-laden comments about that, too.

Dec 2nd, 1999, 10:24 AM
Lori

Tony is going to be a busy man what with several women ... couldn't the wedding gown be made of washclothes? Dozens and dozens of them collected from all the people that tote them on trips to Europe!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO