Search

Travel Advice to Slovenia & Croatia, Fall 2023

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2023, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel Advice to Slovenia & Croatia, Fall 2023

Hello,
My husband and I are getting close to our trip of 17 days (including travel) to Slovenia and Croatia. We are avid travelers, plan our trips using guide books, reading and helpful advice from Fodor's Travelers! Below is our trip which is planned out but now we would like comments on great out of the way restaurants, short hikes, traveling the highways, and those spots you said you would never forget. We are active and try to limit driving to 4-6 hours per trip...any friendly comments would be greatly appreciated. I do realize some of the trip seems more complicated than need be, but lodging and cars are rented, so can't be changed easily.
Please speak about tipping, good grocery stores, are there bugs (mosquitos?), areas to be aware of, those last minute things I might forget. We are carryon luggage with backpack travelers and love to travel. Ferry travel, should I make reservations now or walk up to get tickets?? Ready, comment!

Fly Boston, USA to Zurich, Switzerland via Munich to Ljubljana transport via Opti Van to Lake Bled
2 nights Lake Bled, Pension Mayer, 2nd day pick up Euro rental car, drive to Ljubljana via Julian Alps, stopping at Vrsic Pass, Grear Soca Gorge
1 night Ljubljana, Hotel Mescanka drop off rental car , next morning pick up different rental agency car, (just couldn't get one car because of border change and small town pick up Rental car from SIXT drive to Rovinj stopping at Predjama Castle (just to see not tour), Skocjan Caves, Triestle, Italy, Piran, Groznjan, Motovun note: long day, 163 miles but can take it easy in next town
2 nights Rovinj, Hotel Arupinum, 2nd day, maybe go to Pula (husband loves history, especially Roman
1 night Plitvice Lake, Hotel Plitvice, take tour next morning or day we get there----advice, I know we need to get tickets, could someone talk about the website, very confusing....drive to Split, stopping halfway at Zadar, drop car at Split airport
2 nights Split, AirBNB, need to do laundry! 2nd day, private guide to Sights
2 nights, Havar, Stari Grad, Hotel Apolon
2 nights, Korcula, Hotel Royal Apartments
3 nights Dubrovnik, AirBnb, laundry again! 2nd day guided tour to Montenegro, Bay of Kotor
Fly home

Again, thank you for any kind comments.

Old Jul 25th, 2023, 12:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I have nothing to offer re your questions. Your itin looks nice. We were there in Spring 2019 and loved it. I do have a TR on here if you havent seen it. Enjoy your trip!
Old Jul 25th, 2023, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, I will look for your TR.
Enjoy your summer.
Old Jul 25th, 2023, 01:08 PM

It looks like a lot, but we're all different. As long as you have mapped it all out, I suppose it will all work! I do wonder about those days where you have two nights, as that is just one full day and checkout is usually in the morning. I wonder at times how you will fit it all in, like will your laundry be dry (if you are doing it yourself--maybe you will use a service). You can always store bags with your host or at a garderoba, so it'll be okay, just wanted to mention it looks tight at times.
What month? I believe you will mostly be using Jadrolinija or Krilo catamarans, and they have schedules posted by date on their websites. I doubt you need to purchase in advance. At Plitvice, don;t sweat it, just buy a ticket when you arrive. You can do some of the park the day you arrive and the day you depart (missing some of the midday crowds hopefully), I believe they will stamp your ticket for return since you are staying within the park.
Old Jul 25th, 2023, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by yorkshire
It looks like a lot, but we're all different. As long as you have mapped it all out, I suppose it will all work! I do wonder about those days where you have two nights, as that is just one full day and checkout is usually in the morning. I wonder at times how you will fit it all in, like will your laundry be dry (if you are doing it yourself--maybe you will use a service). You can always store bags with your host or at a garderoba, so it'll be okay, just wanted to mention it looks tight at times.
What month? I believe you will mostly be using Jadrolinija or Krilo catamarans, and they have schedules posted by date on their websites. I doubt you need to purchase in advance. At Plitvice, don;t sweat it, just buy a ticket when you arrive. You can do some of the park the day you arrive and the day you depart (missing some of the midday crowds hopefully), I believe they will stamp your ticket for return since you are staying within the park.
I kind of disagree with Plitvice. They require timed entries now and if OP is going soon (words in the OP said "we're getting close to our trip), leads me to think it is soon. Id pre-purchase your Plitvice tickets now. Same with catamarans. Reservations can fill up on these things.

Bugs? I do not recall any problems with bugs but there might be mosquitoes at lake areas. I do not recall getting bitten, but if I were it was not something I remembered enough that impacted my trip.

Your itinerary seems a bit rushed - too me. But ymmv.

Old Jul 25th, 2023, 10:22 PM

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts
A few observations :
- Ferries - it's possible to reserve in advance, and highly recommended in season esp with a car.

- Car Rental : not sure I follow your car rental logistics. If you pickup a car in Slovenia and return in Croatia, please fully apprise yourself of one-way drop off fees and cross border rules. Havent been to Korcula but public transport on Hvar was sparse - I would keep the car till Dubrovnik.

- Driving Route : I would break journey in beautiful Piran en route to Rovinj, it's simply too long a day. This eases up the driving and gives you more time to explore Istria leisurely - you're missing a number of smaller interesting places like Oprtalj, Hum etc. and potentially some winery visits like Kozlovic, Kabola, Cuj etc.

- Plitvice : Read https://www.earthtrekkers.com/how-to...-travel-guide/ - a very useful primer. It is advisable to prebook yoour tickets online - you buy for a particular entrance (be careful of the two tabs for Entrance 1 and Entrance 2 on the purchase page) and time slot. We stayed overnight in a B&B located walking distance from Entrance 1 (directionally, the waterfalls always face you from here), started at the first available slot next morning (I think 7 or 8am) to beat the crowds and followed Program C. Budget 6-7 hours for this.

Last edited by ANUJ; Jul 25th, 2023 at 10:46 PM.
Old Jul 26th, 2023, 12:20 AM

The day you are driving from Ljubljana to Rovinj, that is one packed day. You need to drop a couple of things. Like Trieste.

The ticket website for Plitvice is not confusing. Is this the website you are using? https://ticketing.np-plitvicka-jezer...ndex.aspx?l=EN
You just put in the date and time you want to go. Unfortunately greed is running rampant in Croatia and they have jacked up the prices to 40 euros per person, but it is very possible that this will cut the crowds way down.

If you are going to Stari Grad from Split that is on the car ferry and you do not need to buy an advance ticket. Going to Korčula by catamaran and then on to Dubrovnik by catamaran (assuming this is how you were planning on traveling those days) it can't hurt to buy your ticket in advance. You will have to get from Stari Grad to Hvar Town if you want to go to Korčula by catamaran. If you want to rent a car on Hvar, maybe see if you can get one in Stari Grad but drop it off in Hvar Town. Then you can bring it back before your catamaran departs. Otherwise you will have to go by bus or taxi.
Old Jul 26th, 2023, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Travel_Nerd thanks for the comments, I think the advance purchase of Plitvice Park and catamarans will make life easier.... Other than an hour, what is the price difference between car ferry and catamaran?
yorkshire what is a garderoba? We want to explore the town of Hvar before we take the catamaran to Korcula but need to stash our bags safely. any ideas?
rialtogrl any tips on taxi or reliability of bus from Stari Grad to Hvar?
We do incur a hefty fee for bringing a car across the border and the one way fee costs more than the rental, but, the freedom of having a car and being on our timetable is worth it to us.
Thank you all for your comments, they are helpful. I will be paring down the long day trip from Ljubljana to Rovinj and visiting the hill towns on the second day from Rovinj.

Last edited by 3Gnhgirl; Jul 26th, 2023 at 12:04 PM. Reason: add info
Old Jul 26th, 2023, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by 3Gnhgirl
Travel_Nerd thanks for the comments, I think the advance purchase of Plitvice Park and catamarans will make life easier.... Other than an hour, what is the price difference between car ferry and catamaran?
I have never used a car ferry and cannot comment on prices regardless as they might have changed since last year. Research the respective Jadrolinja and Krilo websites with your dates of travel to compare prices and schedules.
Old Jul 26th, 2023, 11:53 AM

Perhaps you should share when in fall you are traveling--October is pretty different from early September!
Old Jul 26th, 2023, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yorkshire
Perhaps you should share when in fall you are traveling--October is pretty different from early September!
We will be there from August 29-September 14.....
Old Jul 26th, 2023, 12:11 PM

Yes, in late August/early September I would actually book in advance, I took "fall" a bit too literally!
Sorry I missed this question earlier--
a garderoba is an office where you can store bags for a small fee, usually found at ports and bus stations. But I am confused, as I thought you were going to stay in Hvar. If you have checked out of your room,I am sure the hotel would hold your bags for a bit--aren't you staying in Hvar?
The bus between Stari Grad and Hvar is usually tailored toe h ferry schedule.

Old Jul 26th, 2023, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Our hotel is in Stari Grad
Old Jul 26th, 2023, 12:27 PM

Ah, sorry--confused myself!
There should be somewhere to store bags in Hvar. Tourist offices often will do it.
Old Jul 26th, 2023, 12:43 PM

We will be there from August 29-September 14.....
Very much high season and still summer. Expect crowds everywhere you are traveling. Not to beat a dead horse, I'd prebook everything you can, including attractions, plan on early mornings at some attractions (such as Dubrovnik walls if you're planning on walking them and Plitvice).
Old Jul 26th, 2023, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

"The ticket website for Plitvice is not confusing. Is this the website you are using? https://ticketing.np-plitvicka-jezer...ndex.aspx?l=EN You just put in the date and time you want to go."
When I go to the Plitvice web page and try to purchase a two day ticket, the site only asks me for the day of arrival and time for the first day....
And when do I let the Park know what program I'm choosing?
Thanks, trying to get organized.

Last edited by 3Gnhgirl; Jul 26th, 2023 at 02:28 PM. Reason: add info
Old Jul 26th, 2023, 03:53 PM

"The ticket website for Plitvice is not confusing. Is this the website you are using? https://ticketing.np-plitvicka-jezer...ndex.aspx?l=EN You just put in the date and time you want to go."
When I go to the Plitvice web page and try to purchase a two day ticket, the site only asks me for the day of arrival and time for the first day....
And when do I let the Park know what program I'm choosing?
Thanks, trying to get organized.
Yes because you have to choose your date and time because they require timed entries.

You do not have to tell them which route in the park you intend to take - that is done at your leisure while in the park. Be prepared to show your ticket for park services like the bus/trams and boat rides within the park. I had my parents tickets while I continued to walk and they opted for the bus. They had to "plead their case" to be let on the bus.
Old Jul 26th, 2023, 10:44 PM

Yes, this is definitely not fall, it is late summer, and still high season.

it is really not necessary to prebook on the car ferry from Split to Stari Grad, UNLESS you are bringing a car, which you are not. The car ferries are big and you can hold a lot of people. But definitely prebook the catamaran tickets to continue south. If you use Krilo, especially in Korčula, confirm your boat is running the day before, because there are two lines and sometimes they only run one of them. This scenario is actually happening today due to high winds.

About the car, it makes more sense to rent a car on Hvar for a day. Otherwise, you can’t use the catamarans, so instead of one hour on a catamaran between Hvar and Korčula you have two hours back to Split on the car ferry, plus the drive and ferry to Korčula. Do you really want to spend half a day on that?

Just take a taxi to Hvar, you are on vacation. I’m sure your hotel can arrange something. Buses are fine but if you are taking a morning catamaran I wouldn’t want to deal with it. Or as I suggested just rent a car that you can drop off before your boat boards.

Last edited by rialtogrl; Jul 26th, 2023 at 10:57 PM.
Old Jul 28th, 2023, 06:18 AM

Just a few random comments. I think your trip looks a bit hectic and you might find that your time in each place is more limited that you anticipated. I went to Slovenia and Croatia last year and visited many of the places you are visiting in 4 weeks, but I am a leisurely traveler.
Re the ticket to Plitivice, as I recall, it was good for 2 days - the afternoon of arrival and the next day. At least that's what I did. I'm not very tech savvy but I found the website to be manageable.
Pension Mayer at Lake Bled is wonderful. I spent 3 nights there and wanted to extend it but alas, it was fully booked. It is like a lovely Swiss chalet, with charming, comfortable rooms, lovely gardens and grounds and plentiful, delicious breakfasts. It is family run by 3 generations of women and the hospitality is outstanding. One of my 2 favorite accommodations of my trip. Lake Bled is beautiful with lovely hikes around the lake, swimming, boat rides and castles, and the whole area reminded me of Switzerland. I loved it there.
Have a wonderful trip!
Old Jul 28th, 2023, 08:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Many comments about the speed of your trip -- I assume you enjoy going at that fast of a pace? If not, while I think its a good itin, you might want to cut out a couple stops and add onto others. Maybe go to either Hvar or Korcula and add the 1 day to the island and the other day elsewhere. One night in Ljubljana will not allow you to get more than cursory look at a cute town.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -