Reload this Page >

Travel advice for cheeseaholics

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 11:51 AM
Ron

I would appreciate any comments on countries to visit for people like me who love cheese. Have been to Denmark, Holland, England, Brussels, and Germany and found the Dutch and Danish cheese the best. What other countries should I visit just to savor their cheeses?

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 11:55 AM
Ira

Hi Ron,<BR> Until you have been to France you have not eaten Cheese.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 11:57 AM
Dutch

Ron - I like the cheeses of Nazareth.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 12:05 PM
Eye Spy

France of course! Over 365 kinds.<BR><BR>Coulommiers<BR>Camembert<BR>Brie<BR> Pont-L'&Eacute;v&ecirc;que<BR>Livarot<BR>Morbier<BR>Reb lochon<BR>Taupini&egrave;re<BR>Aveyronnais<BR>Comt &eacute;<BR>Cantal<BR>Brebis de Puyfaucon<BR>Cabecou<BR>Charolais<BR>Machecoulais< BR>….. and too many others. Don't get me started!<BR>

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 12:15 PM
lily

What about the cheese towns in Normandy ie Camenbert? I would love some info about these towns too if any other cheeseaholics have been.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 12:33 PM
Tom

Don't travel that far just for cheese. Come to Wisconsin, I'll get you all the cheese you want. We even have cheeseheads!

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 12:38 PM
Ron

Tom - no offense - but my local grocery store is full of Wisconsin cheese. It will do and I like it - but it just doesn't have the romance and spirituality of the best European cheeses that I've eaten. There is also the wonderful breads that go with the cheese there as well. <BR><BR>If only it was as easy to find great cheese and bread in my local store.<BR><BR>Also - I can usually fly cheaper to Europe than Madison - go figure.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 01:15 PM
Aad

My favourites places for cheese: Belgian abbeys like Maredsous, Orval, Achel and Postel.<BR>They make their own unique cheeses, and serve it with delicious breads (and beers!)<BR>See for instance www.maredsous.be

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 01:21 PM
heidi

I can't believe no one mentioned Switzerland!! The local alp cheeses are the best!

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 01:24 PM
Melissa

I looooooove French cheeses best. Also when you go to London visit Neal's Yard Dairy and enjoy......

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 01:35 PM
Italy

Italy!

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 02:05 PM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>Save the travelling costs and cruise the Belgian cheese shops, markets and supermarkets.<BR><BR>Being at the centre of Europe, you will find sheep milk cheeses from the alps, Cevennes and Pyrenees, 2 yr old Gouda, virtually all the French, Swiss &amp; German cheeses.<BR><BR>If you are really lucky you may find genuine cheddar from Cheddar (try Nivelles Saturday market) or even genuine creamy blue stilton.<BR><BR>A far better choice than France can offer !<BR><BR>Peter<BR>Ex pat lived in Scandinavia, Belgium &amp; France<BR>http://tlp.netfirms.com<BR><BR>

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 05:09 AM
Monty Python

What a friend we have in Cheeses!

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 05:23 AM
lily

Best laugh I've had on this site!

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 10:40 AM
paul

the best thing the european union has done is allow cheeses to migrate from their country of origin. Paris has many great cheese shops and the french chevre cheeses are fantastic on sandwiches with smoked meats. beware the FDA is you try to bring raw milk cheeses back to the US--that's a no-no.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 12:26 PM
Nels

In Italy we fell in love with the authentic Mozzarella di Buffala (sp?) and we're having withdrawls from not getting it. Does anyone know where it can be obtained/shipped here? We live in Southern Calif. Thanks.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 02:40 PM
wendy

France = chaource and Mont d'or!

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 02:44 PM
fritz

there's nothing quite as romantic as a smear of limburger cheese washed down with a tall glass of pils.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 04:07 PM
yum

Greece is the place to go if you like fetta!<BR>ps. cheeses of Nazereth: LOL