Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Brighton , Paris,..metro , eating, bus?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like your personal suggestions on restaurants in the vicinity (within 2 or 3 blocks of the Hotel Brighton on Rue du Rivoli.....Good food (well, there is really no bad food in Paris),and not too fancy but reasonably priced. Even cafes, bistros, or smaller places. (we eat dinner early!) I know the Rue Rivoli is bustling with activity.
ALSO ... I KNOW there is a metro stop across the street, but due to a bad knee situation (both) the steps are out this year...so my question: Does a main bus line go past the Hotel Brighton?. I can walk fairly far, just don't do steps!
Thanks for suggestions.
(is there a particular city bus line #, that you would know about, that is a very "inclusive " route. We know Paris , as have been 5 times.(3 to 4 day quick trips)
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 01:35 PM

Go to www.ratp.fr
Click on the left on "Plans de Lignes"
Click on the upper right + sign to gradually enlarge the map
Study the bus # and lines that run along rue de Rivoli or cross near it.

ie. # 72 runs from Hotel de Ville toward Radio France, #68 runs between Clichy and Denfert Rochereau (and further), # 39 runs b/t Gare de l'Est and Montparnasse, etc.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 01:48 PM

i'm not sure where your hotel is, but the #69 bus runs on rue du rivoli from (i think) pere lachaise cemetery to the tour eiffel and beyond. it crosses the river between the louvre and jardin des tuileries.

the ratp site is great! there is a "route finder" as well as individual bus lines. i was printing maps today!

Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 03:27 PM

For good food:

1. Le Soufflé, on the Rue Mont-Thabor. Excellent food--not soufflés only, but those are a specialty.

2. L'Ardoise, also on the Rue Mont-Thabor. Blackboard menu shows the many daily offerings.

3. Le Pain Quotidien, on the Place du Marché St-Honoré. Part bakery, part café--terrific for breakfast, lunch, and early light dinner.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 04:08 PM

As you are just off rue Castiglione, I would add Cafe Castiglione, our favorite bar & the food is great, an Irish bar is just behind you on Mont Thabor, Le Rubis at Place St. Honore is a classical wine bar with good sandwiches etc and Brasserie Flottes, on rue Cambon, is reasonably priced (try the croque Royale & aligot-a magical, mashed potato dish!). All these are an easy walk. You are also just a block from the taxi stand...they are resonably priced given your central location. For more names, go to lesrestos.com, click on the Tuileries metro & you will see an extensive list of restaurants. JP
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 04:34 PM
ira

Hi mari,

Also at the ratp site, you can get directions to and from anywhere by bus.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 06:34 PM

I stayed for several days at the Brighton a few years ago. Our room was very large with a long balcony looking right out over the Tuilerie Gardens. There is only one bus that runs right in front of the Brighton,as the rue de Rivoli is one-way in that area. but just up the street at Concorde there are at least 5 others, and in the other direction there are about 5 more at the Carroussel du Louvre, one of which is #69, already mentioned which is a real highlight tour:Eiffel Tower, Invalides, Musée d'orsay, Louvre, Hotel de Ville, Bastille, etc.

We enjoyed both close by spots that Underhill mentioned. Another real cheapo in the area(r. Mondovi) is Lescure, always packed because of the reasonable food at low cost. Not in the same league as the other 2, but edible and less than $20. In the other direction near the Palais Royale is the excellent Willies Wine Bar and L'Ami Louis. You can always depend on recommendations from Oakglen; he and I have traded suggestions in the past.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 07:33 PM

To mari5

I suggest buying a bus guide when you get to Paris. There is a pocket size version ["le Bus"] that shows all of the lines, and the transfer points, overlayed on maps of the city. Since you only have one line that is very close [72], and since it is going one way at that point, it is especially important to know where you can catch it going back to the hotel.

Each bus stop has a name, so by following along in the guide you can figure out where to get off. If you miss a stop you may have to walk several blocks.

At the places Laidback mentions, you can end up doing a lot of unneccessary walking to find the right stops. On the URL below there are prinable maps, listed by Metro, that are helpful in locating the correct stop for a particular line. The lines have names at either end, like the metro, and these are shown with the stops so you can tell the direction.

Maps to check: Concorde, Alma-Marceau, Pyramides, Palais Royale, Musee du Louvre, Hotel de Ville, Chatalet les Halles.

http://www.ratp.fr/ParisVisite/Eng/Pla_q/f_pla.htm

Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 11:25 AM

Out your Hotel, take a left to the end of the Louvre - that would be Admiral Coligny Blvd., go "to the Seine"... about 1 block down is Le Fumoir... lovely little bar restaurant.
Good good food...of course, an awful lot of models stop by there... and I got to see one of them have the elastic in her tights "break"....and her skirt was a mini...and down the tights drifted. I dunno, I thought it was funny. She never saw me snicker or laugh tho...same thing happened to me once on 5th Ave. in NYC...
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 11:57 AM

Here are a few more afforable restaurants in your vicinity; Le Petite Machon, 158 rue St. Honore, with a 16.50e menu, Le Dauphin, 167 rue St. Honore, more expensive at 24e and Le Manege de L'Ecuyer, 6 rue de la Sourdiere, with a luncheon prix-fixe at 16.8e. When we stay in this area we tend to stop in at the Hotel Meurice bar to listen to the jazz pianist and have a very expensive martini on our last night in Paris. JP