Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel 2005

Hi,
My husband and I will be travelling June 6th 2005. Our overivew at this time
. London 1 week, (have booked a Hotel) pick up car, self-drive 5 days
. Fly to Shannon, self-drive 1 week around to Dublin
. Fly to Brussells, staying 3 days (Brugge, Antwerp, then
. pick up car for self-drive 5 days into France; drop off car
then into Paris where we have booked an apartment for one week. Fly home to Australia 4th July.

As we have not visited any of these countries, we would greatly appreciate opinions/advice on your favourite places with easy driving for those 5 days prior to our stay in Paris....and any other advice!
Many thanks,
Sherri
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 06:29 PM

Sherrill, That looks like a good plan. You probably know about drop fees in other countries on rental cars. This is one are where the EU is not so U. If you pick up a car in Brussels and drop it in France they will charge you to ship the car back to Belgium on the train. At least $100.

You could take a plane or a train into France and pick up another car there or certainly you could request that they look around the lot and find a car with French tags on it. You'll have a lot better luck if you are picking it up at a lot where they have lots of cars. Even if you have to upgrade to a larger car it is often worth it to avoid the drop fee.

Also remember to check to see if you credit card covers the Collision/ Damage/Waiver. It can save you 10-15%

If your whole time in France will be in Paris you won't want a car because of the parking hassel. The same is true for London. Unless you plan to go out into the countryside you will not want a car in London. Hope you enjoy your trip.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 07:52 PM
rex

Please see http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34534346 - - particularly "2. Give a clue."

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the car tips.

We have an apartment booked in Paris for the last of our trip - 27th June to 4th July, but are looking for ideas for the five days we have between Belgium (probably Brugge or Antwerp) and our arrival in Paris.
We would like to see something of the French countryside and as suggested, leave our car outside Paris.
As we've not been in these regions before (and as Aussies driving is different - though can't be as frenetic as Italy!), we're open to suggestions.
We've also been told we should book ahead because of the June period in which we're travelling - any further suggestions?
With thanks,

Old Dec 15th, 2004, 06:02 PM

I havent been to antwerp but I did go to Brugge for 3 days and absolutely loved it! It's a little medival town, somewhat lost in time - it's unique!