Search

Travel

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2019, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel

Hello guys! I’m traveling to Europe for the first time and wanted to know which city would be the best to visit. The cities are Amsterdam, Barcelona, and Florence! Which city will be worthwhile?! Thanks for your help!!!
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 01:55 PM

They are all "worthwhile"--I typically decide based on airfare and personal interest. They are three of the most famous world cities for a reason!
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 02:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Can you go to all three of them? Or you only want to go one place?

They are all "worthwhile".

Personally I'd go with Barcelona or Florence, but that's because I've already been to Amsterdam.
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 02:37 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I look at airfare, convenience of schedules, and then picture what I would do in each place. Interested in Renaissance art? Florence. Mediterranean atmosphere in a city with a beach? Barcelona. Any interest or knowledge in the languages, food, or culture of each place?

Google around for pictures, see what inspires you. Read up on attractions of each city, maybe right here on Fodor’s. Browse through guide books. There is no right or wrong choice here, and you can go to the other cities another time.
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 03:26 PM

One of my favorite cities is Barcelona...look into Lisbon also. The previous commenter was right, they are all worth your time.
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 06:43 PM

How long is the trip? When? More of an interest in Art, music, architecture, history, food, etc.?
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 06:59 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Amsterdam.
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 07:42 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
No one can decide for you - but maybe give us more information.

Time of year? That could make a BIG difference. If I had a choice, wouldn't go to Florence in the hottest summer months nor Amsterdam in the coldest winter months. In the Spring all three would be great but the flowers in Netherlands are Awesome.

Which has the cheapest flights from your home town?

What are you interested in?
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 09:48 PM

None of the above? I’d pick Rome or Paris.

But the weather is a major factor, airfare is as well (go to the one with a direct flight), and of course, your own interests. Price of lodging is important. Amsterdam can be quite expensive.

But if I were to pick one personally, it would be Amsterdam, because of the bike culture and because you can easily day trip.

Old Sep 11th, 2019, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yorkshire
They are all "worthwhile"--I typically decide based on airfare and personal interest. They are three of the most famous world cities for a reason!
thanks for your feedback!! I appreciate you!
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 02:46 AM

Hi,
I would pick Amsterdam. If you are staying in 1 city, that would be my choice. There are many day trips you can take when you are based in Amsterdam.
And I am not sure how long you are staying, but maybe you can add a few days in Paris to your experience? It's only a 3.5 hour by train.
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 03:55 AM

I would NOT pick Amsterdam, precisely because of the bike culture, which makes an already overpriced city with mediocre food terribly annoying IMO. I would pick Paris or Rome. Both have ample daytrip opportunities, particularly Paris.
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 04:31 AM

It really depends on your interest they are all so unique. I would choose Florence as it is more quintessentially "European" to me out of the three but again, they are all wonderful in their own ways. So, choose whichever is more convenient to travel to and you won't be disappointed.
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 04:47 AM

And see, I would NEVER pick Florence, which doesn't seem terribly "European" to me at all, and which is too frenetic for me and overpriced and filled with religious art, which totally turns my stomach. When I think of "totally European" I think of places like Narbonne, which have been humming along nicely for a few thousand years without attracting people in shorts and flip-flops and which have gobs of treasures to show for it.

But I agree with deniseoliver86 that wherever you choose will likely delight you.
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 07:40 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
You don’t mention Paris or London, but they are my idea of a perfect first-timer visit to Europe.

But, we need to know what time of year, your preferences, and budget restraints.
Old Sep 15th, 2019, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by StCirq
.When I think of "totally European" I think of places like Narbonne, which have been humming along nicely for a few thousand years without attracting people in shorts and flip-flops and which have gobs of treasures to show for it.

But I agree with deniseoliver86 that wherever you choose will likely delight you.
First time hearing the name Narbonne, will deffo look into it! Thanks StCirq
Old Sep 15th, 2019, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by StCirq
I would NOT pick Amsterdam, precisely because of the bike culture, which makes an already overpriced city with mediocre food terribly annoying IMO. I would pick Paris or Rome. Both have ample daytrip opportunities, particularly Paris.
You don't think Paris or Rome are overpriced. But true, any big tourist city you go to you will be paying a "tourist" price. Maybe look into one country that you like and see if there are some smaller towns that can be interesting. Europe has many countries with completely different cultures.
And I am sure that wherever you go, you will have a good time.
Old Sep 15th, 2019, 06:09 AM

No, I do not think Paris or Rome is overpriced. But I know my way around them pretty well and know how not to pay "tourist prices," whatever those are. You can go almost anywhere in the world and set a budget and live within in.
Old Sep 15th, 2019, 10:13 AM

Why do you want to choose only between these 3?

If this is your first time in Europe every European city will be new for you.

Europe has hundreds of great cities.

I would not recommend Amsterdam, Barcelona and Florence. All 3 are suffering from overtourism. More tourists is the last thing they need.
Old Sep 15th, 2019, 08:22 PM

Amsterdam does have wonderful museums and the canals are enticing, but some of the worst food in western Europe.

Barcelona is indeed unique but it is being ruined by people like us-tourist.

I will be at the airport at Florence Tuesday and will drive past the city. We have been there a number of times and in the center you will hear very little Italian.

You need to educate yourself of what each offers and their disadvantages.

My choices for a first timer to Europe would be London, Paris, Rome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -