Trastevere area in Rome

Search

Trastevere area in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trastevere area in Rome

Can anyone give me info about this area of Rome. I found a lovely place to stay at the Hotel Santa Maria. Would appreciate any info concerning this neighborhood and the ease of accessing public transportation. Anyone stay at this hotel???
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 12:02 PM
jay

it is a very neat area. it is true italy. we found it safe and very charming. it is a bit out of the way for seeing all of the sites but i didn't think that rome was too bad to walk in. there were many resturants and alot of people watching.
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 04:09 PM
JonJon

Trastevere tends to be very lively, particularly at night. Lots of restaurants, etc., to choose from, and lots of people out and about at night. It is not an area that those who think they just HAVE to stay near the Spanish Steps would consider, probably because they don't consider it as "upscale." But I think if you want to take in one facet of the "more ordinary" Rome then Trastevere should please you.

Old Feb 7th, 2004, 04:38 AM

I don't have it in front of me, but GOURMET published a wonderful issue on Rome (last year maybe?), and one of its highlights was a tempting piece on Trastevere.
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 06:03 AM

Hi Diane

If you type Trastevere into the search function, I know you'll come up with heaps of info. on this area.

I personally like this area which is just across the Tiber. It's not right in the center but it's not far from it either.

I wish I had that Gourmet Magazine jmw above posted about!
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 06:45 AM
BDM

Dear Diane,

I suspect this will be a great area. My wife and I were in Rome 3 years ago and took a bus to Trastevere for dinner. Boy did we wish we had stayed closer (that's a whole different story!)

GREAT restaurants and seemed to be well connected to the rest of Rome via bus or tram.

Have fun. Report back on the hotel. We'd love to visit in the future.

Via con dios,
Brian
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 07:38 AM

We loved visiting Trastevere last summer...had a great day checking out the neighbourhood and then a wonderful dinner out. That said, I, myself, would not stay in the area as I would wish to be closer walking distance to the Centro Storico. If you prefer public transportation (and it does get you there in minutes) you won't mind staying in the area.
cheers,
CC