Transportation Options/Logistics

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We am in the process of planning a 5 week trip to France - September 2-October 8. The first 2 weeks are planned. I am having problems planning some travel/transportation. We want to spend a couple of nights in the Champagne region, probably Reims and 2 weeks in the Provence and Dordogne region before flying to Brussels. Is it better to do the Champagne area first. (We will be in Paris) or fly south from Paris to Provence and go to the Champagne region at the end and then drive to Brussels? I can't seem to find any good transportation options. We are willing to drive if that is the best option.
Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 12:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
It is never a good idea to fly domestically in France. Check your rail options on www.sncf-connect.com
Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 01:00 PM

I would skip Reims. It kinda complicates things. You'll see plenty of vineyards & wineries in Provence & the Dordogne. Plus I've found the countryside and sites much more enjoyable in Provence & the Dordogne, than in Champagne.

Take the TGV (train) from Paris to the Avignon TGV station, rent a car, and spend 6 nights in Provence. Drive to the Dordogne region (stopping in Carcassonne along the way), and spend 6 nights in 2 different areas of the Dordogne.

Drive to Bordeaux and take the 13:46 TGV to Paris. Change stations in Paris (taxi), and then take the train to Brussels that arrives at 18:22.

Ditto kerouac. Don't fly within France/Flanders.

My wife & I have vacationed for 23 weeks in Provence & 13 weeks in the Dordogne. I have lengthy itineraries for both regions that I've sent to over 4,000 people on Fodors. If you would like a copy, e-mail me at my Fodors name at AOL and I'll attach them to the reply e-mail. Mention which itineraries you would like - I have about 8 others for different regions in France.

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your advice. I was beginning to wonder if it was getting too complicated, and I can then add those days to the Dordogne/Provence region. I have looked and there are day tours to the Champagne region from Paris, I may look into that. I actually just skimmed and printed off your Dordogne itinerary but will email you for some other ones.
Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, I will look into rail travel.
Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 01:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Certainly the train is best
Reims for the architecture or the wine?

Wine for the grape growing, the wine making, the tasting or the marketing.

If the last two Épernay is better
Architecture then Reims is betterThe first two, probably go on either Reims or Épernay websites and book a visit to a producer. TI will organise such a visit.

When to visit. On those dates the harvest should be long finished, the flat wine is in production, nothing to see. Possibly a little bottling.
Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 02:46 PM
mjs

I like Stu’s itinerary but would just stay in or very close to Sarlat for your Dordogne time and try to spend a day or two in Bordeaux before going to Brussels. Would also consider flying direct from
Bordeaux to Brussels