Transportation on Amalfi coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a two week holiday booked for the end of August. Two days in Rome, two days in Sorrento, two days on Capri, and then a week in Positano.

We had planned on taking trains between these major centres, but am wondering now about private cars or other recommended alternatives.

We haven't quite figured out our luggage yet - likely will have one large suitase each (24'', 26'').

If we were to hire a private driver, what or where would be the best places to do this (ie. where or when would there be an advantage over public transport?)

Many thanks in advance.
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 02:04 PM

I only see one opportunity for train travel in your itinerary: Rome to Sorrento, by taking the train from Rome to Naple, and then switching to the Circumvesuviana train in Naples to take you to Sorrento. And back again, I guess.

So, when you say you planned on taking trains between these major centers, I'm a little confused.

In terms of public transportation, you can easily ferry to Capri from Sorrento, and then ferry again from Capri to Positano.

If you want to visit Pompeii while in Sorrento, you can also take the Circumvesuviana train.

Once you arrive on the Amalfi Coast, in Positano, your transportation options are limited to boats, buses, taxis and private cars and drivers, or, of course, a rental car, which would be my last choice.

I found last year that the buses were the worst of our choices. The waits were interminable (we actually watched people at our bus stop in Positano flag down drivers and offer them money for a ride to Sorrento, as the buses were so late, and these people had connections to make), and I got very ill on the bus with a bad case of motion sickness. For me, the boats were the best bet.

You could easily travel by boat and taxi, although there are a plethora of private drivers and cars. Search the board here for something like "Amalfi Coast car and driver" and you will get plenty of recommendations.

We did this, and it was ok when we had to get somewhere in a timely fashion. Otherwise, I found it expensive and some of the "great" drivers turned out to be so so, such as the one who took us to Pompeii, lunch and then the Naples airport from Positano. He took us to a restaurant for lunch that had lost its electricity, and was deaf to our objections.

Our traveling companions used the same driver service to take them from Positano to Rome, and the driver left these two middle aged women with a ton of luggage (their style, not ours) in the Piazza di Spagna, blocks from the Hotel San Carlo where they were staying. The price was very high, and they weren't pleased.
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 02:07 PM

Hello travelfly, I have never booked a private car and driver in Italy but let me give you a website that you might find interesting and might possibly fill your needs. It is www.francescomarrapese.com.

Francesco started posting here on Fodors, answering travellers questions etc. He seems like a very nice and intelligent and knowledgeable man and is a native of the area you will be in.

I would encourage you to check this website for yourself. BTW, the website has beautiful photos so don't rush through it. Best wishes.
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your very informative responses.
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 05:14 PM
ro

Getting from Rome to Sorrento is a great train journey through Naples (as per previous posts). Capri is a ferry trip - we departed from Sorrento. Getting to Positano, I would recommend Giovanni or Giancarlo from Tour of Italy. We had Giovanni drive us all around the Amalfi Coast last year - he was wonderful. Their website is www.tourofitaly.com. Enjoy
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 06:59 AM

I agree with the recommendation of Giovanni from Tour Of Italy. Six of us used him in October, and we were very satisfied.
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 10:16 AM

Yet another recommendation for Giovanni of tourofitaly.com. We've used him many times and sent several of our friends to him, too. He's a character-- the Italian version of Archie Bunker-- a charming and reliable driver, and lots of fun!

If he's unavailable, I'd also agree with LoveItaly that you might want to check out Francesco Marrapese at www:francescomarrapese.com He promptly answered my e-mails when I expressed interest in his website, and has been a very valuable contributor to this forum.

Good luck!
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 06:00 PM

i disliked getting to sorrento very much as train transport took too long. maybe hydrofoil/ferry next time to/from naples.

have you been to rome before? just curious as to the 2 day stay. otherwise, i'd take the 2 sorrento days and add them to rome. i much preferred capri to sorrento.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the info.

Originally was to be 3 days in Rome, but flight got changed. We do have one more day there on the way back. Interesting thought though, to skip Sorrento and add it on to Rome. Will consider.