We need help deciding where to visit in Germany

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2004, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a trip to Germany and Switzerland for next year (early, I know, but we are planners) for about 10 days. We are planning on spending 5 days in each country. We have the Switzerland half of the trip basically down (planning on staying in Wengen) but we are trying to decide where to go in Germany. Basically we are torn between staying somewhere along the Mosel or traveling down the Romantic Road and staying somewhere along the way for the 5 days (Rotenburg, perhaps?). We both love historical sites and castles, but we also like nature and visiting small, quaint towns as well. I've posted about the Rhine/Mosel areas but I am still torn on that area versus the Romantic Road. We've been to Germany once, but only to Munich as a day trip from Austria. Any suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks!
Tracy
Old May 19th, 2004, 05:51 AM

Both the Mosel/Rhein and Bavaria are wonderful. Perhaps since you will be visiting Switzerland, it would be more efficient to fly into Munich and explore Bavaria this trip.

I wouldn't recommend Rothenburg as a base--it's nice, but so heavily touristed, and it doesn't have the feel of a "real" town. There are so many nice small towns in Bavaria that you can almost throw darts at a map, almost.
Old May 19th, 2004, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

RufusTFirefly, I'm glad you mentioned flying into Munich because that's what we were considering doing if we chose to visit the Romantic Road and Bavaria. I found a great website on towns along the RR that also lists accommodations so we shouldn't have a problem staying somewhere other than Rotenberg. Although we both like to visit towns that are touristy, we generally prefer to stay in smaller, non-touristy towns if possible. Is there enough to see/do around the Romantic Road area for 4 or 5 days?
Old May 19th, 2004, 07:12 AM

"Is there enough to see/do around the Romantic Road area for 4 or 5 days?"...Yes, if you include Wurzburg and/or Bamberg; also the scenic stretch along the Main which includes the attractive towns of Wertheim, Miltenberg and others. How about Iphofen? Another thing: check out Pappenheim and the Altmuhl valley.

IMO this area would offer a nice contrast to your Swiss alpine experience.
Old May 19th, 2004, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We've done both Rhine/Mosel and RR trips. Since a week will be in Swiss, I'd suggest RR, particularly if you like castles and history.
We've a friend here (US) who teaches German, and alternate years tours her students thru Germany. Each time she eventually ends up at a favorite B&B on the RR We stayed there two years ago and were delighted. Gasthof Zum Lamm is in a village called Marbach, near Lauda-Konigshofen, just north of Bad Mergentheim. Owner, wife, dau,son-law speak English, he's a terrific chef (wild boar, venison, etc). Central location for what you want, as it's about 30 minutes north of Rothenburg, 45 minutes SW of Wurzburg.
Two years ago, we spent 2 weeks in Bavaria and a week in Cz Rep. If I might be so bold as to suggest an itinerary: I would drive to Marbach )from either Munich or Frankfurt [it's about 75 minutes from FRA airport], unload, and if still lively, spend the PM looking around the villages nearby [Bad Mergentheim has a knight's museum in what used to be a castle], come back to great food and wine. Next day, Wurzburg (Residenz, Marienburg fortress, Cappella, all quite historic). Next day, Dinkelsbuhl, Creglingen, Rothenburg. (i'm not mentioning probably 10-15 charming villages). Could easily spend another day at least here. Eventually, leave Zum Lamm, heading SW, Ulm is another historic town, altho larger than a village. Swing down thru the Neuschwanstein area (i assume you saw that last time?). Side note: I saved Neuschwanstein for last on our trip--when my wife went thru it, she agreed with my previously-unexpressed opinion that the previously-toured castles and cathedrals were more impressive, and that Ludwig was merely nouveau riche of the time (as well as batty). On to Lindau and Lake Constance/Bodensee, perhaps detouring to Mittenwald for a visit to a German alpine village. Then on to Switzerland.
We also are interested in cathedrals and their architecture, internally as well as externally
If the above appeals to you, and you request same, I could provide more details than the above. I've condensed in the interest of brevity.
Old May 19th, 2004, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all the information! I'm printing this thread out. Thank you to TuckH for giving me some names of places around the RR to look into.

Tomboy, thank you so much for the wealth of information. We did not make it to Neuschwanstein during our last visit, although we wanted to. My husband is really hoping to visit, although I personally think some of the other castles around Germany look more interesting. He has his heart set on going and getting some great pictures though. If we were to do the RR (which it sounds like we probably will after reading the threads here) we will probably incorporate Neuschwanstein into our trip, preferably at the end, and then maybe catch the train from Munich to Switzerland. And thanks so much for the rec on where to stay. It sounds like just the type of place we were thinking of staying in. Thanks so much!

Tracy
Old May 19th, 2004, 11:18 AM

Trier, the Moseltal and Castle Burg Eltz!
One night in Rothenburg, Heidelberg, and don't forget the Route de Vins in Alsace. The Vill of Riquewhir is my Fav (Hot l'Oriel and Rest le Sarment d'Or)!
M
PS if you like Alpine driving, hiking, adventures check out John Hermann's MC Journeys through THE ALPS ( now in its 3 rd ed.)
Old May 21st, 2004, 05:42 AM

I find the entire story of Mad Ludwig's life and his castles fascinating--and once you see Neuschwanstein it really drives home what was happening in the royal household at that time. Plus, when visiting Neuschwanstein castle you have his boyhood "home" Hohenschwagau castle to visit as well.

The natural setting of Neuschwanstein is impressive--don't miss the Mariensbrucke view. Just because something isn't old, doesn't mean it isn't interesting--especially with the story connected to Neuschwanstein.

Burg Eltz is also outstanding in an impressive natural setting, and certainly more a castle with a purpose, but the history surrounding it isn't nearly as interesting as Ludwig's story.
Old May 21st, 2004, 05:57 AM

A B&B along the Romantic Road is probably a nice bet for atmosphere, free info from the owners on spots to visit nearby, and good food. If you don't stay in a B&B, you might consider a smallish picturesque town on the RR that hasn't been mentioned and is one of my favorites -- Nordlingen. Good luck.
Old May 21st, 2004, 11:27 AM

To Tracy (tcreath)

Here is their address so you can write:
Gasthaus zum Lamm
St.Josef-Strasse 32
Stadteil Marbach
97922 Lauda-Konigshofen (o with umlaut)
They have a brochure which you could request.
AND they know how to make great scrmbled eggs with ham for breakfast (a courtesy to Americans who know Sheryl Smith)
Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 21st, 2004, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks tomboy! I greatly appreciate it and am saving the information and I'm going to call and get a brochure!

Thanks so much!
Tracy
Old May 22nd, 2004, 05:08 PM

You're very welcome.
Their phone # is 0 93 43 971
Their fax # is 0 93 43 972
I would recommend faxing, if only because at least in my case, my English was more understandable face-to-face than over the phone, even tho I spoke to the same guy.
Glad you're receptive-I think it's an undiscovered gem.
Say hi to Klaus, and Jurgen (pronounced Your-ghen) from Tom and Nancy, Sheryl's friends from Michigan
Old May 23rd, 2004, 07:30 AM

tcreath:

I went to Germany last year with my two sons, and we spent a couple of days in the Rhein/Mosel area, and one night in Rothenburg. Trier is really nice, and it has several Roman ruins from around 100AD which are very interesting. Also, a very small town near Trier on the Mosel is Cochem, which is really picturesque, has an interesting castle to visit, and excellent wine tasting. We also took a trip down the Rhine from Koblenz to Rudesheim - Both Koblenz and Rudesheim are beautiful, as was the trip down the river, but it was a bit long. Looking back, Koblenz to Boppard would have been perfect. Rothenburg is supposed to be very touristy, but I thought it was nice for at least a daylong stop - there is a continuous wall/rampart around the altstadt, and it is great for walking around shopping, etc. My whole family is going to Munich this year, but the Rhine/Mosel valley is really hard to beat.

Old May 23rd, 2004, 05:07 PM
rex

Here's an old (but still good) thread: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...mp;tid=1374058 (and it references an even older thread, which was also good).

Best wishes,

Rex