Transportation from the Madrid airport

Old Feb 10th, 2001, 10:00 PM
Roz

Transportation from the Madrid airport

What is the best or quickest form of transportation to use to get from the airport to my hotel which is the Hotel Madrid? The hotel has a shuttle but my husband thinks that the shuttle will take to much time. Cab? Approximately how much do you think a cab will cost? Thanks.

Old Feb 11th, 2001, 01:04 PM
K

Hi there! We just got back from Madrid and were also staying at the hotel Madrid. We got a taxi from the airport which cost 5000 Ptas as we hadn't arranged the shuttle bus to come and pick us up. The taxi journey took about 30/40 minutes as traffic was bad (arrived around midday). On the way back to the airport we arranged the shuttle bus which was 800 Ptas each. It took just 15 mins as there was no traffic (4pm) but the receptionist at the hotel said to allow 1/2 hour. If you do get a cab, make sure it's white with a red stripe on the front doors as they are the licensed ones - there were loads at the airport when we arrived. Have a great trip!

Old Feb 11th, 2001, 01:14 PM
Roz

Thanks for the information. Did you like staying at the Hotel Madrid? Were they helpful as far as answering questions you had. Did you take any side trips to Toledo or Segovia? If so did you take the train or bus to Segovia? Is the train and bus station close to the hotel? Were there any good resturants near the hotel? We are taking the AVE train to SEville. Is the train station for that train near the hotel? Is is a safe area to walk around at night? We are really looking forward to our trip to Spain and welcome any information you can give to us. Thanks!

Old Feb 11th, 2001, 01:49 PM
K

We thought the hotel was great - were a bit worried initially as we thought that it was going to be noisy, but had no problems. It's right in the heart of Madrid, on a side street just off the Plaza del Sol - literally 1 min walk to the Sol metro station which is on about 3 lines. It's within easy walking distance of all the sights - about 15 mins to both Prado and Palacio Real. The rooms we had had balconies that were 'glassed in' plus patio doors, so they were pretty soundproof. Rooms looked as tho they'd just been redecorated too.
The people on reception all spoke English to some degree and were very friendly - sure they would advise on trips. We had a day in Toledo - caught the train from Atocha station (4 stops on the metro from Sol station to Atocha Renfe) which took about an hour and cost 1400 Ptas each. Its about a 15 min walk from the station to the old town of Toledo, which was definitely worth seeing. Didn't get as far as Segovia.
As for restaurants in Madrid, we went to El Potin just off the Plaza Mayor (about 10 min walk) which I've seen posted on this forum before. It's supposed to be the oldest restaurant in Europe and where Goya was employed as a washer up when he was 19! Food was delicious and very reasonably priced - speciality is suckling pig.
We went to another excellent restaurant near Plaza Santa Ana but don't remember the name - I'll see if I can find it anywhere. Another 'speciality' is the chocolate con churros which is a late night tradition - it's a really thick hot chocolate with deep fried batter sticks. We found a place off Calle Arenal called San Gimes.
We felt pretty safe walking round, but were warned about pickpockets.
All in all it was a great trip - less touristy and more friendly than Paris and much cheaper to eat/drink out than here in UK. Sure you'll have a great time.

Old Feb 11th, 2001, 02:44 PM
Elaine

I sure do agree with the writer who suggested Toledo. I spent 2 wonderful days walking around although my legs hurt on the 2nd day due to the hilly streets. It's an easy day trip.
Seville is delightful and a must see but would be better to stay a night. The view from the train is really nice which I can't say for Toledo.
ENJOY!

Old Feb 11th, 2001, 04:21 PM
Roz

Thank you for the info. It is really wonderful hearing from people who have just come back from Spain. It eliminates some of the pre vacation anxiety. If I think of any more questions I'll be sure to post them, so keep looking for them. Thanks again for the help and information.