Transportation from CDG to the marais

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are the options for getting from CDG to the marais (rue des Rosiers)? My wife and I will each have a rolling 24" suitcase and a shoulderbag carryon. What does each method cost, and what are your recommendatiions? We will be arriving around 9 a.m. on a Saturday.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took the RER to Chatelet and changed to Metro line 1 - I was staying very close to the St. Paul stop (your RER ticket is good on the Metro). I think it cost me around 8 euros. While there's very little room for luggage during the rush hour on the RER, I would think you would be fine on a Saturday morning.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 01:02 PM

I also use the RER to Chatelet to stay in the marais. You could actually get out at Chatelet and walk toward the Pompidou and over to Rambuteau or any street heading into the marais, but taking line 1 and getting off at St. Paul or Hotel de Ville would be other options.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 01:35 PM

bookmark
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Is there an escalator or only stairs?
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 05:24 PM

I think there is an escalator at CDG station and I know there is an escalator at Chatelet at the exits. I can't remember about inside the station.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 05:35 PM

I, too, think there was an escalator at CDG, although it was quite a trek to get to the train station from where I arrived. I think I remember an escalator at Chatelet, but since I didn't exit there it may just have been for changing lines.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 07:11 PM

If this is your first visit to Paris, I would recommend a taxi (which queues in very organized fashion--easy to spot--at the airport). To the Marais should be less than 50e (it was about 40+tip both times we stayed in that area).

I say this because, first, Chatalet is a really congested stop with miles of tunnels and can be confusing with first time visitors, especially dragging luggage.

Second, it's a nice introduction to see the city as you approach it.

Finally, you won't have to get off at St. Paul, get your bearings and find your way to the hotel on Rue de Rosiers. This can be a stressful arrival when you're tired.

Even if you take the metro, I wouldn't recommend getting off at Chatelet and walking to your hotel, toting luggage. It's a bit winding to Rosiers from there.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 07:21 PM

The RER is ok but it's better if you're younger rather than older, you will need Euros to pay for your ticket and good to remember to keep a sharp eye on your luggage and wallet. You also need to know that some stations have tall gridlike turnstyles which allow for one person but not the luggage. This is ok if someone is on duty to let you through, but this is not always the case. Luggage on one side and you on the other is a worry, take it from one who knows! Strikes on Parisian rail are not unknown either.
While it is more expensive and you do visit several hotels en route to your own, we prefer one of the shuttle services these days. There are lots of companies; we usually use http://www.parishuttle.com - have found it fine,
and I just checked it's Euro 18 per person for 2 people. They drop you at your hotel.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 07:36 PM
yk

<i>we usually use http://www.parishuttle.com - have found it fine,
and I just checked it's Euro 18 per person for 2 people.</i>

It is €18 per person, if your group is between 2-4 people. And this is the rate for a <u>shared</u> shuttle with others.
http://www.parishuttle.com/paris_air...r=Paris%20City

For a private shutte, the rate is €80 for 4 people or less.
http://www.parishuttle.com/paris_pri...r=Paris%20City
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 07:57 PM

bookmarking
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 11:23 PM

Shuttle-inter.com is often recommended on this site. Private car for 2 runs 55 euros (plus tip) each way. You are met inside CDG.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 01:42 AM

http://www.shuttle-inter.com/
I ran into them some time ago and have passed on to many, many users. I use them regularly and have my resrvations for next upcoming trip. You can make reservaions online. They will reply quickly. They will be outside security exit door with your name on a sign, take your luggage to a waiting vehicle and you will be off. No meter running if a traffic tie up. They do not accept credit cards.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 10:31 AM

My wife and I stayed in the Marais in September quite close to the rue de Rosiers. We also arrived on a Saturday at 9.00am. We took a taxi and found it to be excellent. The cost was €43. The traffic on a Saturday morning is usually quite light and it is a hassle-free way to travel, especially after a trans-Atlantic flight. It is my impression that the rue de Rosiers is not too near a Metro station, so you are going to have to walk a fair distance if you decide to go by train and Metro, all to save about €10 - .02% of the cost of your trip. Incidentally, be sure to eat at the Equinox restaurant at the end of the rue de Rosiers. My wife and I ate twice there and it is excellent value for money. Be there by 7.30pm or you won't get a seat. The fixed price meal with wine,kir and coffee was €25. A friend we were with did not wish any alcohol or coffee. Instead, she had a glass of orange juice and a cup of tea, with the rest of the meal the same. Her bill was €26 !!
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 10:41 AM

Shuttle-inter.com service now accepts Visa credit card. We are using the service next month for different trips. They are quick to respond to e-mail inquiries.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 11:08 AM

They have been working on the use of credit cards for some time. I will still pay them with cash in April and MAy. Good to know, though...

Joan
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 08:42 PM

My family and I (2 adults &amp; 2 teenager) used a taxi last month to go from CDG to 5th - 48 euro total.

If you are tired and have luggage you do not want to be using the Metro or RER which will involve going up and down stairs, walking long corridors and getting your bearings when you exit the station.

Simply walk out of the airport terminal to the taxi rank - 30 minutes later you will be at your destination.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 05:09 AM

Spending 48 euro for a taxi makes sense if there are four of you. It doesn't make sense for a solo traveler, and it makes considerably less sense for a couple. And the 43 euro for the shuttle is considerably more than 10 euro more expensive than the metro or a bus for two people.

One end of the rue des Rosiers is close to the St Paul metro stop. For the other end I might look at www.ratp.info/orienter/cv/cartebus.php for RER + bus. The amount I save by taking public transport from CDC instead of a taxi pays for a good dinner - probably lunch as well.