Transport to Marvao

Search

Transport to Marvao

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transport to Marvao

I'll be in Portugal in July and August, traveling without a car. Everything looks doable except between Evora and Castelo de Vide and Marvao. The connections are not good.

I thought of renting a car in Portalegre for a day, but it is really expensive for the day. Does anyone have any idea if it would be possible to take taxis between Portalegre, Marvao and Castelo de Vide?
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 08:46 AM

Are you planning to just tour the towns in a day trip, or are you planning to spend a night in the towns?

If you plan to stay overnight in let's say Marvao, maybe the hotel might have a suggestion on how to get there.

Good luck.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Good idea. I'll be staying overnight in Marvao and want to spend a little time in Castelo de Vide.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 08:53 AM

p.s. you can rent a car in Evora for a day for E70 or for three days for about E80 if you can drive a manual.

www.economycarrentals.com

I just put in arbritary dates:
July 25/26
July 25/28

But maybe someone will have bus information for you.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

I have the bus schedules and there are very few buses. It would leave me very little time in Marvao. I am planning to return to Lisbon from Marvao so I don't want to have to drive the car back to Evora. But thanks for the info. I can drive a manual. I'll think about a three day rental from Evora. As you can see, one day rentals are really expensive.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 11:28 AM

The reason a car would be good in that area is as you can see the bus schedules are not great.

I think that a car would be your best bet if you can drive a manual even better.

You may not have to return the car to Evora. Not all companies require that, but I didn't check.

I wouldn't want to have to return to the starting point unless you had to. You may be able to drop it off in Lisbon.

Good luck.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input, but I'm really trying to avoid driving. I'm traveling on my own, I don't really like driving, and it's expensive. It stresses me out in foreign countries. I'd figured one day around Marvao would be fine, but driving to Lisbon from Marvao is not what I had in mind. I'm going to contact the hotel, as you suggested, to find out about taxis and if anyone else knows about taxis in the area, I'd really love to hear from you.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 01:05 PM

I am disappointed that your posts have not been answered by the people who really know Portugal.

Consider bringing them up to the top again by bumping them up with a post of just ttt.

Weekends are slow and they may be missed if they fall too far down.

Sherry
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Hi Sher,
Just so you know where I'm coming from on this. When I travel with someone and have a navigator and someone to share driving with, I don't mind driving, and it certainly has its advantages. But, I actually prefer to take public transport when I travel alone. I've done it many times in Europe, Asia, and Latin America. I don't mind the hussle-bustle of train and bus stations. I often meet people on buses and trains, and get to practice the language. But if it is not feasible to get somewhere, I'll rent a car. For me right now, a taxi for the short distance between these towns would be the easiest and most relaxing, but if that doesn't work out I'll either rent the car in Portalegre for one day, or Evora for 3 days if I can drop it off in Portalegre. Thanks for the info on 3 day rates. I had only researched the one day rate.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 05:08 PM

I understand exactly what you mean about the driving and the navigating.

Also, if you have road or car problems, you are alone. And some of the roads around the area you want to visit are pretty remote.

I am sure if you work at it, you will be able to do it by public transport. And since a car rental is not usually cost effective for one person. Also, you want to have a carefree vacation. I don't blame you.

Have a wonderful time.

By the way, the Alentejo is pretty hot at that time of the year. I am sure you know that.

Please write a trip report so I can see how you made out.

Sherry
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

I emailed the hotel and got a reply. It is possible to take a taxi between these towns.

For anyone who might need this info in the future: Portalegre to Marvao by cab costs 15-20 euros; Marvao to Castelo de Vide is 12-15 euros. There are also 2 buses from Portalegre to Marvao: 10:30 and 17:00 per the man at the hotel. So, if I find the bus connections don't work, I can always take a cab. Even if I took a cab round trip for both trips, it would be cheaper than a car rented in Portalegre for one day with excess insurance.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 07:13 PM

I think that is the best way to go for you, the cab.

The hotel in Portalegre might be willing to negociate
directly with a cab for you and then you would feel very comfortable since you are traveling alone. Also, you can get a fixed price more or less.

That is a excellant solution because the price seems reasonable. You can sit back and enjoy the landscape and leave the driving to them.

Let us know how things work out for you.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 03:57 AM

My vote goes for cab. Although it's not difficult do drive in the Alentejo, the roads in the immediate vicinity of Marvao are not that easy. They are narrow with a lot of sharp curves.