Notices

Train from Paris to Naples

Old Jun 27th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train from Paris to Naples

Hi,

I am very confused. We are considering Flying into Paris so we can explore the city morning, day, and evening and then take a sleeper train from Paris to Naples. I searched the blogs and I found www.voyages-sncf.com as a suggested resource.

First I have never been on a train so I am a little confused. The site said that with my travel dates I could not order online. So, how would I do that and I can't find a price which is what I was really wanting to get an idea of. We may just fly if it is too difficult.

How can I find a sleeper train specifically? Where would I find the best rate? We are also thinking about taking a train later on in our trip from Sorrento to Tuscany area. Should we get a flex pass? I am not even sure what I need to be looking for or asking.

Help a Confused first time train traveler!

Thanks!
Ann
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 10:34 AM
ira

Hi Ann,

>We are considering Flying into Paris so we can explore the city morning, day, and evening and then take a sleeper train from Paris to Naples. <

Stop considering it.

You will be jet-lagged and sleepy. There is no sense wandering about Paris in a fog for only one day and then making a long train journey to Naples.

If you want to visit Paris, it needs at least 3 nights.

If you want to visit Naples, fly into Naples.

>The site said that with my travel dates I could not order online.

You can order online as early as 60 days out. HOWEVER, there are many France to Italy routes that can't be bought online.

Enjoy your visit to Italy.

Old Jun 27th, 2007, 10:36 AM

there is a Paris-Rome night train then transfer to a train to naples but no direct Paris-Naples night train

train may well cost more than a plane if budget is your angle.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Hi Ira,

I have only been on this site for a few months and in that time I have come to respect your opinion. The flight we found that works for us has a 19 hour lay over in Paris. So, that is what got the balls rolling.

I then thought well why not make Paris the destination then train it to Italy but I am quickly realizing that is just going to be a huge hassle.

The original plan when we found this flight was to sleep on the plane refreshed for Paris then stay at a hostel and the flight leaves at 9am the next morning to Naples.

We may still consider this option. I think I am done with the train option Thanks! Let me know if you have any thoughts on the other.

Thanks
Ann
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 03:15 PM

Ann,

Even though you've sort of given up on taking the train, I'll give you a little more information to consider.

What is your travel date? You can book tickets on SNCF up to 90 days in advance, not 60 days. I did a dummy booking for the Paris-Rome night train and found PREM'S (discount) fares of 35 EUR for a bunk in a six-person couchette and 60 EUR for a bunk in a four-person couchette. A bed in a two-person sleeper costs 140 EUR (standard fare).

The EuroStar Italia AV from Rome to Naples costs 33 EUR. See www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html for the timetables and fares.

The Paris-Rome night train leaves Paris Bercy at 19:06 and arrives at Roma Termini at 09:50. The Eurostar Italia AV leaves Termini at 10:45 and arrives in Naples at 12:12.

Train travel solely within Italy is relatively inexpensive. A pass for only a few rides will be more than point-to-point tickets.

Your budget airline choices for Paris-Naples are Meridiana from CDG and easyJet from Orly.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 11:18 PM

http://www.seat61.com/Italy.htm#Naples - just ignore the bit about Eurostar between London & Paris.

Have you considered flying into Rome then getting the train?
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 04:07 AM
ira

Hi ap,

>The flight we found that works for us has a 19 hour lay over in Paris....
The original plan when we found this flight was to sleep on the plane refreshed for Paris then stay at a hostel and the flight leaves at 9am the next morning to Naples.<

That's a lot better, even though you will have to be up rather early to make your flight.

Enjoy your trip.