Transport Glasgow Airport to Central Station

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2017, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are flying into Glasgow Airport @11:15 am on a Saturday and need to get to Carlisle. There are trains that leave from Central Station in Glasgow at 13:13, 13:55, 16:13.

I looked on "Best Fare Finder" and found some tickets for 19.50 GBP that say "anytime ticket" - it appears the tickets can be used anytime that day, so I don't think I have to worry about a timed ticket, though we are hoping to at least be able to take the 13:55 train, as the 13:13 may be tight?

Wondering what is the best way to get from the airport to Central Train Station - I see there is a more frequent shuttle but I don't think it goes to the Central Station. What are the costs and logistics of the buses or taking a taxi.
Can anyone help me out with this,
Thanks.
Old May 8th, 2017, 08:53 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just take a taxi -- so you don't have to wait for the next shuttle bus.
Old May 9th, 2017, 07:23 AM

A taxi will be around 20-25 GBP. The airport express bus is 7.50 GBP per person and they run every 10 minutes.

So there is no real wait for the next shuttle unless you consider 10 minutes a long time. What you can consider though is since you say, 'we', the shuttle would be 15 GBP for both of you vs. the taxi price. Whether that difference in price matters to you depends of course on how tight your budget is.

I would say it's reasonable to expect to be able to catch the 13.55 train using either way to get to the station. I would not even try for the 13.13 train. I never like to feel rushed when I'm travelling. Hoping to catch that earlier train will just add stress to you when you are standing at the luggage carousel for example.

If things do happen to go very smoothly, the flight arrives on time, your bags come out quickly, there is a taxi or bus waiting when you get to the door, etc. then you may get there earlier and there's never any problem knowing what to do if you are in time for the earlier train. Just don't stress over it, you're on vacation.
Old May 9th, 2017, 12:19 PM

Does the shuttle bus not go to Buchanan St. Bus station and still have to get to Central Station fro there? That is what happened several years ago.
Old May 9th, 2017, 12:34 PM

Yes, the shuttle connects with the bus station -- then you'd have to either walk several blocks, take city bus, or take a cab to Glasgow Central

I'd just take a taxi from GLA. (Or you could pre-book a car service but a taxi would be easy)
Old May 9th, 2017, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you - this information is very helpful. I don't suppose there would be a huge wait for a taxi on a Saturday mid-day.

That's a good point about the difference between two bus tickets vs taxi plus the convenience of a taxi, we might even make that first train but if not, time to grab some lunch...

Much appreciated all!
Old May 9th, 2017, 04:06 PM

Taxis are plentiful at GLA at any time.
Old May 10th, 2017, 07:50 AM

Almcd, look at the route map and stops here:

http://www.glasgowairport.com/media/...eb-spreads.pdf

If you tell the driver you want of at stop #2, Bothwell at Hope, Central Station is practically across the street. I don't consider that as having to 'walk' any appreciable distance.

You don't ride the bus all the way to Buchanan Street if you want Central Station. Next time you'll know.