Transport from Schipol Airport Amsterdam at midnight

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read the other thread about the train from the airport, but had a slightly different question.

In August, my daughter and I are arriving at Schipol around 11 PM (from Madrid on Transavia). I assume that means we'll probably leave the airport around midnight.

Although I'm an advocate of public transit for travelers, and tend to be cheap, even I'm willing to make an exception in this case.

So it seems we have several options:
* Grab a taxi at the airport - do they charge extra after midnight?
* Book a shared taxi ahead of time - has anyone done this? I saw the link on the airport web site.
* Train to Central Station and take a taxi from there. But then we have to go through Central Station (which I've also heard bad things about) and find a taxi - after midnight.

The place we will probably stay at - Shelter Jordan at Bloemstraat 179 - doesn't seem to be on the shuttle bus route, if it indeed runs at that time of night. Does anyone know?

And just to confirm - is there anyone who would recommend taking the train to Central Station and then taking a tram to the hostel after midnight and would think this is no big deal?
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 11:10 AM

I'm sure that others would have more useful advice, but I don't think that catching a cab in Amsterdam after midnight will be a problem, especially around Central Station.

I took cabs twice in Amsterdam, once in early evening and once after midnight. Both times I felt that the cab ride was a bit expensive. To give you an idea, a cab ride from Central Station to the Metz & Co. Department Store is about 10 euros. And I felt that I was being ripped off in my second cab ride experience -- I finally asked to be let out and walked a brief distance to my destination.

The explanation that's usually given is that there're many streets in Amsterdam that are one-way or otherwise closed to cars, so cabs may have to take a more circuitous route as opposed to trams or people who walk.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 11:24 AM

What "bad things" have you heard about the train station? It is ture that there have been pickpocket problems there in the past but I honestly don;t think you are going to be in any serious danger of getting mugged, etc.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

A friend says he was robbed there, although I haven't asked for details. He is Asian, so would tend to stick out more perhaps, but he was living there at the time.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 11:37 AM

To amplify an earlier point, I don't think there's a whole lot of "bad" things going on in Centraal (that would affect you, anyway) beyond pickpocketing. It will probably still be busy at that time, and you should be more than fine. Just don't have a euro-stuffed wallet dangling from your back pocket.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 11:43 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
First off, I would find out if the Connexxion hotel shuttle bus runs that late. You can get off at whatever major hotel is closest to your hostel.

I am not normally overly cautious but personally would hesitate to be trooping around central Amsterdam after midnight. To me, that would be a big deal.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

From what I can see, the Connexxion shuttle bus does not drop off at any hotel in the Jordaan area and it stops at 2100 hours. http://www.airporthotelshuttle.nl/
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 11:56 AM

Well, I walked all the way back to my hotel around 4 in the morning in Amsterdam.

But granted I'm a guy and I've done these sorts of walks a couple of times. I continue walking if someone attempts to stop me or calls to me for any reason.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 11:57 AM

Hi WillTravel, I would take a taxi from the airport and try to save money on something else. Just my thought. Have a fun trip.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 12:03 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Oh well, sorry.

I know others disagree but I traveled solo in A'dam and did not feel particularly comfortable in the central area around the Dam, train station, RLD. I would definitely NOT want to have arrived for my first time, into this area, and after midnight. I would spring for a taxi.

Maybe I am bein' a big baby here but it made me feel the need to be on-guard in that area. I have not experienced this feeling in other cities (I'll say Paris for example).
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 12:21 PM

I can see why you'd be uncomfortable, suze. I guess I'm just pretty used to being out late in cities (especially since I live in NYC -- but that has become pretty safe these days).
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all input. I think we'll take a taxi - either prebooked or just from the airport.

One other complication I read is that Amsterdam taxi drivers supposedly protest short trips - at least someone reported this on the Rick Steves board lately.
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 03:43 PM

Centraal Station taxi problems are DEFINITELY not a rumor. I just returned from there three weeks ago and witnessed several completely unacceptable incidents at Centraal Station. According to the General Manager at the Amstel Hotel, about three years ago they abolished the "medallion" system in AMS as a result of complaints from immigrants that it discriminated against them. Now, there is complete lawlessness in the taxi ranks at that station. I observed ALL the drivers uniformly refuse to carry a man from Japan 1.5 miles to his hotel unless they paid him 100 (one hundred) euros because "we have to wait too long in line." The taxi drivers are all apparently of one religion and most hail from N. Africa. This resembles in all respects a Mafioso organization. The cooperation among those drivers is complete and ruthless. They are also incredibly rude and derisive to women. The hotels can tell you of last December's war between two rival taxi factions who want to control the Central Station business when one group invaded an evening meeting of the other group and attacked them violently. I approached a policeman who was in the process of arresting one taxi driver for spitting on a potential customer and he said there was "no law" they could enforce to make the drivers obey any reasonable meter or rule. This is not a rumor and is completely a nasty blot on Amsterdam. BEWARE taxi drivers in AMS!!!
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 11:14 AM

There is a public Bus from Schiphol to Amsterdan City Centre, it leaves every 20 mins , you can get it outside the arrivals hall, i think its the 197 or 179, i've used this bus before with absolutely no problems, it takes a while, because it stops at a lot of hotels,but you will be quiet safe on it, maybe things have changed, its been a few years since i've been there, but have a look at the Schiphol website, its very informative.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

As I said in my trip report, we got in even later than expected and we just took a taxi.

There's more information about that public bus option here: http://www.channels.nl/knowledge/22280.html

I don't think it would have worked for us, given the location we went to and our timing, but it's good to keep in mind.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Here too:
http://www.worldairportguide.co.uk/airports/ams/ams.asp