Transport, Day Trips and Base

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2020, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We plan to take Nomago from Venice airport to Ljubljana on 10/6/20 and make LB our home base for 8 nights. Spend at least 3 full days in LB and possible day trips are: Piran, Skofja Loka, Kamnik, Postojna Cave and Castle, Bled. (We will pick and choose down the line.....any suggestions on any others?) We will spend the last Slovenia night in Kranj because the LB airport is only about 10 mins. away and we can easily catch our flight to Rome (FCO) and the following day, back home.

I read that the villages in Slovenia pretty much close up around mid October for the winter and I'm wondering if we will have problems finding loding, restaudrants and transportation (buses between LB and day trips). Should I be concerned?

Am looking at airbnb.com for a little 1 bedroom apt. or studio in LB that would be w/in a ½ mile from the "attractions", train and bus stations. So hard to pick and choose these apartments because you don't really know who's writing the reviews. Any suggestions on an apt. that could work for us?
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 05:06 PM
kja

I believe the Ljubljana airport is between Bled and Ljubljana, less than an hour from each by car, though I believe you are planning on public transportation? (If so, good for you!)

Have you looked at the UNESCO World Heritage Site Škocjan Caves? I enjoyed my visit there. I didn't go to the Postojna Cave and so can't compare them.

If weather permits, I thought the Vintgar Gorge a nice place to visit.

I can't speak to these destinations in that season, but charming Ljubljana will certainly have open restaurants, etc. -- it's small, but it's a real city. And almost all the buses route through Ljubljana (Slovenia is on a hub & spoke layout), so it would be the logical base for your trip.

If you don't already have it, I would strongly encourage you to get a copy of the Rough Guide to Slovenia. You can get an idea about bus schedules by using rome2rio.com -- just be sure to click through to the underlying webpages, as the main page is not sensitive to seasonal (or other) variation in schedules.

Old Feb 10th, 2020, 07:18 PM

kja is right in saying that Ljubljana is a transport hub for Slovenia, making day trips easy. The only time this doesn't really work is if you want to go further afield or wanted to have, say a day on lake Bled and one on lake Bohinj (because they are close to each other). If you don't have it already, ap-ljubljana.si is a great site for buses in/out of Ljubljana and the train site is easily found if you do a google search.

I don't think I would bother moving accommodation to Kranj if it only saves a short time on departure (assuming your flight isn't at a really unsociable time). If you don't want to fly, there are buses from Ljubljana to Trieste, from where you can take a train to Rome. And, in season, there are ferries from Piran to Venice (venezialines). Both options would be longer but much more scenic. The most scenic route by train, I think, would be Bled - Bohinj Bistrica - Nova Gorica - Gorizia - Rome, but that would take all day.
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your information. I'll have to do more research to see which day trips we want to take by train or bus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -