Transit UK LHR

Old Apr 5th, 2021, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transit UK LHR

I am trying to make our tentative plans for September and who knows what things will be like then. Right now the US embassy page says if we are transiting through LHR without entering the UK we don’t have to quarantine. Going we will transit LHR from LAX to Geneva. Returning, We will be trying to go from Slovenia to LHR and then outbound to LAX from LHR. Is this right? We will get our tests done in Ljubljana before leaving Slovenia. Transit is OK with no quarantine or other rules?
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 11:33 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Transit passengers have not ever had to quarantine. If its an overnight connection then self isolating in a hotel is the most that's required. But who knows what the situation will be months from now.

. . . If the arriving flights are on one ticket and use the same terminal one does not 'enter' the UK. But if the connection is landside you'd have to meet the UK entrance requirements.

(Not quite sure why one would check the US Embassy for info about UK rules . . . The US has nothing to do with UK requirements)
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

I checked the US embassy because we are Americans and our final destination is LA.

Timing of flights right now means two transits, one from LJU through Frankfurt to LHR and then LHR to LAX. Just trying to make sure we can safely transit through these terminals to catch specific flights within the window of our Covid test in LJU.
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 12:48 PM

Have you looked at Swiss Air flights? For your travel plans, I'd rather connect in Zurich. Swiss has non-stop flights between LAX and ZUR.
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 01:01 PM

"I checked the US embassy because we are Americans and our final destination is LA. "

OK - now I'm confused . . . I thought you were asking about the transit into and out of Europe through LHR and what to expect in the UK. Are you actually asking if you have to quarantine in LA on your return??

Old Apr 5th, 2021, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Unfortunately have a ton of BA miles left over from business travel before retired so trying to use up. We did, however, today find a BA flight from Zagreb Croatia, which is close to Ljubljana, that flies direct to LHR connecting to LAX flight. Will then get our tests in Zagreb before we leave. We are starting in Switzerland then to Austria and Slovenia before return. This transit will be much easier. IF things open by Fall. Thanks.
Old Apr 9th, 2021, 06:03 PM

No information that you get now is likely to be true in September. There's simply no way to know. If vaccinations get sped up in Europe, the whole place could be wide open. Or if they have another surge, they could shut down again. It's a risk to plan travel now. If you're willing to take that risk, it's fine, but no one can assure you of a safe and easy passage at this time. You'll just have to keep checking for updates. And it's very likely that airlines will be requiring proof of vaccination.
Old Apr 10th, 2021, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I booked BA because I can cancel, but our best option was going from Zagreb direct LHR, we have to spend the night as flight to LAX doesn’t leave until following morning but BA advised if we are in the UK less than 24 hours, been vaccinated and received negative test (which we will get in Zagreb) we are still considered “transit”. My guess is we will still need negative testing for a long time yet.
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 10:34 AM

Hi ChrisC101, if you haven't already checked, the BA Executive Club forum on FlyerTalk is a great resource for the ins and outs of using Avios. Good luck with your plans!

Old Apr 11th, 2021, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, haven’t been on FlyerTalk.
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisC101 View Post
Yes, I booked BA because I can cancel, but our best option was going from Zagreb direct LHR, we have to spend the night as flight to LAX doesn’t leave until following morning but BA advised if we are in the UK less than 24 hours, been vaccinated and received negative test (which we will get in Zagreb) we are still considered “transit”. My guess is we will still need negative testing for a long time yet.
If you are spending the night at LHR in a hotel, you are entering the UK..

This is the official info from the gov.uk website, unfortunately it is not clear in the last 2 bullet points what happens if you overnight ie do you need to quarantine for that night and do you need to purchase the day 2&8 tests even if you don't use them (cost approx £200 per person). The booking reference for booking the test package is entered onto the Passenger Locator Form which you need to complete if you are entering the UK. Reading other forums would seem to indicate you do have to buy the test package.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...through-the-uk
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisC101 View Post

I think you are confusing terms a bit. Balthy is correct that you will be entering the UK . . . in fact you would be entering the UK even if your connection was only 2 or 3 hours IF you had to connect landside for some reason. Because you are entering the UK you will need to meet all UK rules/regulations (Covid related and otherwise)

You are 'in transit' per BA because you are not doing a 2 or 3 day stop over in London.

(Just to clarify for others - for the vast majority of airlines, one can cancel on just about any airline - not just BA.)
Old Apr 13th, 2021, 05:19 PM

Here's a thread from FT that you may find relevant -- be aware that posters may or may not (most) be US citizens which would be applicable to your situation but it will get you started. Hopefully things will continue to become clearer and less burdensome the longer we go.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...tion-form.html
Old Apr 15th, 2021, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

So sounds like I need to change the flight so I am not landside at any time. The BA agent was wrong then. Maybe things will change by Fall but I may go ahead and reroute so no landside at all and no spending the night at LHR airside (ugh!). Thanks for the clarification.