Transfers from Train in Austria

May 17th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Transfers from Train in Austria

We will be in arriving by train in Vienna in 2 weeks and was wondering what the best way is to get to our hotel? We're staying at Hotel Altstadt Vienna. We don't speak much German, just the basics (hello, do you speak English?) and thought it might be hard to make the taxi understand where to take us.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

Amy
May 17th, 2007, 02:59 PM

Just show the driver the hotel name and address.
May 17th, 2007, 03:10 PM

Which train station are you arriving in?

If you choose a taxi from whichever one write down the name of the hotel and ask the driver to write down the cost. Hold him to it.

OTOH, Hotel Altstadt ("Hotel Old Town") is probably within walking distance of one of the stations (which are connected by tram) so you are probably wasting money in a taxi.

May 17th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks hopscotch! I'm not sure which station we'll be coming into because we won't buy our tix til we leave Prague!! I'm gonna look at the hotel's website again and look again at the address.
May 17th, 2007, 06:02 PM

If you are coming from Prague, you don't have a choice of stations if your destination is the central part of the city.

Assuming you are taking one of the no changes connections from Prague, the train arrives at the Südbahnhof.

Your only other possibility is the Floridsdorf station which is well out from downtown Wien.

You can write down the name of the hotel if you wish, but I found that most taxi drivers understand American accents.

Search this Thread