Transfer in Paddington Station

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 09:28 AM
PAUL

Transfer in Paddington Station

My question is: are the paddington rail station connected to the tube station? Or I need to go out/up the rail station and enter/go down to the tube station.
Thanks for the hlep.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 09:34 AM
Gem

You can transfer, but it is a long confusing walk under/over ground. You'd do better to exit the station and cross the road to the tube station. Less disorientating and fewer barriers to go through.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 10:41 AM
Julian

Paddington rail station is on top of the Tube station (Bakerloo etc). (Hammersmith & City Line is at the end of 1 of the platforms of the rail station). You don't need to exit the station, just go down 2 sets of escalators. It's not long or confusing.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 01:50 PM
david

With all respect to Julian, who I think must be familiar with Padington, I have to agree with Gem. Was there last week and got lost trying to do what you want to do. Ultimately, the out-of-the-station-across-the-road route was suggested to us and worked just fine. Better than trying to find the escalators.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 02:08 PM
lm

How can one get lost in Paddington rail station while looking for the Underground? There are overhead signs with "Underground" and the roundel symbol pointing to the direction. I've used Paddington for the UG, trains to the west and the Heathrow Express and never had problems finding the way to the Tube.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 06:09 PM
kathy

the problem with paddington is that is cost 12.00 Pounds from London Heathrow tube is either 2.30 or 3.40 depending on where you are going or the airbus. is about 6 or 7 pounds. The Paddington train is quick--we were going to Bath from paddington and did it that way but otherwise take tube.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 12:22 AM
PatrickW

I think there's room for confusion here. There are in effect two Paddington stations on the Underground: most people will be using the Bakerloo or Circle/District line platforms, which are straight ahead of you as you come from the Heathrow Express, under a great big sign marked Underground. As at all the main-line railway stations, just look for the people going down stairs and escalators!

There are also the Hammersmith and City Line platforms, which are a bit to one side.

I've just thought - some people may have experienced Paddington when the concourse area was being rebuilt, which might well have meant some round-the-houses to transfer.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 04:26 AM
xxx

I am confused about the confusion.
I am not a Londoner but was last at Paddington ( both the Underground & the Mainline stations) in November.
And while Paddington is a large and very busy place, inside there are signs directing one from train to tube. There are overhead signs with pointing arrows and there are the circular red and white Underground signs. The getting to and fro was not problematic.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 04:29 AM
Ira

Hi Paul,
Whatever you do, make sure to get a picture of Paddington Bear.