Search

Transfer from Gare du Nord to hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2019, 09:11 PM
NE
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer from Gare du Nord to hotel

Looking for recommendations on car service to get from Gare du Nord to hotel upon arrival from London - Eurostar . Are taxies easily available ?
Old Jul 1st, 2019, 09:51 PM

Yes.
Old Jul 1st, 2019, 11:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
There's a current thread about how some taxis are ripping passengers off with a fixed fee from that station. Do a search to see recommendations.
Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 12:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Do not allow any taxi driver to say that there is a flat fee to your destination in Paris. If this happens, take a picture of the vehicle information on the back left passenger window or the licence plate of the car.

Better yet, take the metro and don't pollute.
Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 08:41 AM

Where are you going? I usually take metro myself, although I have taken a taxi and was dismayed about current reports of taxi scams. That was one thing you didn't have to worry about in Paris, at least I never did.

Otherwise, why don't you ask your hotel? They might have someone and I always figure might as work with the hotel service as they don't want to get a bad reputation with them, if they are getting business from them. I don't mean they have their own driver, but they might have a company they work with, I know the hotel I usually stay at does, although I don't remember their name.
Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 08:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
If it is not rush hour, a taxi to most parts of Paris shouldn't cost more than about 20 euros. So if you ask your hotel and they quote a flat rate of something like 40 euros, you will know that they are crooks as well.

A carnet of 10 metro/bus tickets costs 14.90, so taking the metro or the bus to your hotel will cost 1.49 euros per person.
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 01:07 AM

You never said which hotel or where it is...but Metro or RER is my recommendation...multiple lines stop at Nord...unless you have a lot of luggage.
ssander
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 06:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would take the Metro. So easy. The machines have an English language option.

If you were to take a taxi from Gare du Nord, you would get the taxi from the taxi stand queue. You can't just walk outside and flag down a cab.

My husband and I just took the RER B from CDG to Gare du Nord in December.

Thin🆙️
Old Jul 5th, 2019, 10:04 PM
NE
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions . We are going to hotel clement in the 6th . I will contact the hotel to see if they can suggest a car/ taxi service.
Old Jul 6th, 2019, 02:54 AM

The Mabillon Metro stop is about a block away from your hotel...but the trip requires a connection from RER B to Metro 10 at St-Michel-Notre Dame that involves some walking (and maybe a few stairs...not sure). As I said, depending on your luggage and willingness, a taxi might be better. My wife and I would take the RER/Metro...but we're not "taxi people".

ssander
Old Jul 6th, 2019, 03:40 AM

Just go to the official taxi rank at Gare du Nord. It'll cost <€20.

Even if the queue looks huge, it moves fast and will take less than 10 minutes to get you in a taxi. You will not be scammed if you join the official taxi rank.

Once you start looking at 'transfer services' that €18 taxi becomes a €65 'transfer'. It's simply not necessary.
Old Jul 6th, 2019, 04:20 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Man_in_seat_61

Even if the queue looks huge, it moves fast and will take less than 10 minutes to get you in a taxi. You will not be scammed if you join the official taxi rank.
Do this.

Very simple. Easy. Not expensive. A beautiful ride across the city. Last year I took a video as we drove past Notre Dame. It's a perfect way to arrive in Paris. Why go underground, especially with luggage, when you can walk outside, wait in the line for a few minutes and get into a taxi?

I was going to the Hotel de l'Abbaye, not very far from the Clement.
Old Jul 6th, 2019, 05:13 AM

You don't need a "service." Go to the official taxi stand and get into an official taxi. It couldn't be simpler if you don't fall prey to scammers.
Old Jul 6th, 2019, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Man_in_seat_61

Once you start looking at 'transfer services' that €18 taxi becomes a €65 'transfer'. It's simply not necessary.
While I completely agree with the recommendation to get a taxi from the official taxi rank, there is, unfortunately, a possibility of being scammed even there. In late May, after arriving on the Eurostar, a taxi I took from the official rank attempted to impose a fixed rate of 55 euros for a ride to a hotel in the city. Fortunately I noticed that amount was showing on the meter as he was driving away and questioned it. He refused to start the meter so we got out and returned to the queue where we got another taxi. I started a thread about this and a couple of residents of Paris posted that this scam was not uncommon at the Gare du Nord.

Paris Taxi Attempted Scam?
Old Jul 6th, 2019, 10:32 AM

I can't understand why the OP can't take line 4, direction Porte Orleans, to the Odeon Metro Stop.

Why would OP take line 10 to Mabillon?

The Odeon stop is two streets away from Rue Clement.

Thin🤳
Old Jul 6th, 2019, 01:41 PM

Ooops...you're right...#4 to Odeon is much better.
ssander
Old Jul 6th, 2019, 08:22 PM

Thinny, you are getting so very practical in your dotage.
Old Jul 7th, 2019, 03:05 AM

Différent strokes for different folks! *2 weeks ago, arrived at Gare du Nord (from London). *It was very hot! *Wouldn’t take metro to apartment in the 16th because our luggage is too heavy, and there are always many stairs to negotiate. *Therefore, stood in long, hot*line for taxi. *Taxi driver got “lost” after several road closures seemed to confuse*him. *(Scam? *Probably.)* Taxi not air-conditioned, either. *Cost way too much. Today, used a limo service to go from apartment to Gare de Lyon. *Very comfortable! *Yes, a bit expensive, but it was worth it, at least for us. *When we return to Gare de Lyon in 3 weeks, we will use the same limo service to take us to CDG. *Had it with taxis! *Have never used Uber, but understand why the business model works.
Old Jul 7th, 2019, 05:53 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by billandcindy
Différent strokes for different folks! *2 weeks ago, arrived at Gare du Nord (from London). *It was very hot! *Wouldn’t take metro to apartment in the 16th because our luggage is too heavy, and there are always many stairs to negotiate. *Therefore, stood in long, hot*line for taxi. *Taxi driver got “lost” after several road closures seemed to confuse*him. *(Scam? *Probably.)* Taxi not air-conditioned, either. *Cost way too much. Today, used a limo service to go from apartment to Gare de Lyon. *Very comfortable! *Yes, a bit expensive, but it was worth it, at least for us. *When we return to Gare de Lyon in 3 weeks, we will use the same limo service to take us to CDG. *Had it with taxis! *Have never used Uber, but understand why the business model works.
I've used a car service arranged by the hotel before and really enjoyed it as well. This has been for a CDG pickup but if one doesn't mind spending the money, it's a lovely way to arrive in Paris.**
Old Jul 7th, 2019, 09:36 AM

Yes, the older I get the less likely I am to hire young men in gold lamé shorts to carry my Louis Vuitton steamer trunks through the Marais.

Thin🕶

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -