transfer from airport to attalos athens hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2005, 11:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know which metro line we take to get to Attalos hotel from the airport and which stop we get off on? Please advise. Much thanks.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 01:01 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
The Attalos Hotel is very close to the Monastiraki metro stop.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 06:45 AM

Take the Athens metro line 3 its also called the blue line.
Get off at Monastraki station and Attalos hotel is about a two minute walk. I understand the fare is 8 euros but I believe it is 12 euros for two.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 08:20 AM

The Monastiraki Metro Stop is at the end of Athinas Street. Just walk up Athinas until you get to the Attalos.

You can also get off at Syntagma Square, walk away from the Parliament building down Ermou Street, turn right on Athinas Street and walk about 2 blocks to the Attalos. Here's a link to a good Athens map to help you orient yourself:

According to the airport website the price for the Metro is 6 Euros one way or 10 Euros return within 48 hours. Does anyone know if this is still accurate?

http://www.athensguide.com/map/athens.htm
Old May 25th, 2005, 10:00 AM

Hi - we will be arriving around 10:00 p.m. to the Athens airport and will also need to get to the Attalos Hotel.

I remember reading in someone's trip report, that a taxi form the airport into Athens is approx. 15 euros. Is this accurate and if so - isn't that a better deal than taking the metro?
Old May 28th, 2005, 07:38 PM

Just got back from Greece a couple of days ago and stayed at the Attalos at the end.

There is only one line from the airport, and it runs from there to Monastiraki. The Attalos is about 2 blocks, if that, from the metro exit on Athinas and on the same side of the street; turn left and head up Athinas. (The station is actually under Monastiraki Sq. but there is an entrance on Athinas that runs under Ermou St. into the station. I went into but never came out of the Athinas entrance, so I can't tell you how hard it is to find your way out of that entrance, but the Metros are pretty well marked.) If you come out in the square, though, you just turn left, cross Ermou, and continue on to the Attalos. The fare from the airport is 6 Euros for a single, 10 Euros for 2 people traveling on the same ticket. Be sure to validate your ticket in the machine before you go down to the tracks. We never saw tickets checked on any Metro trips except the airport ones.

As with many European hotels, the ground floor under the Attalos is mostly stores and the entrance to the hotel is a narrow front about 3 doors down from the corner. But the sign running down the building is large, so you should have no trouble finding the hotel.

When we came back from Crete we arrived at nearly 11PM. We hadn't been able to get the Attalos for that night, so we booked a hotel off Omonia Sq. for one night. Because of the late hour, not knowing exactly where the hotel was, and because we had read that the area around Omonia Sq. wasn't the safest part of town after dark, we took a taxi instead of the metro. Because we went into the post-11PM time, the fare was higher than it would have been earlier, 33 Euros. Another airport fare, on a Sun. morning(no traffic)and approximately as far, was 25 Euros. There's no way you're going to get to the Plaka or Attalos from the airport for 15 Euros - unless that's per person and there are two of you.

Even if we'd been able to get the Attalos the first night, I'm not sure we'd have taken the Metro, but knowing what I know now, I would take the Metro to the Attalos even late at night. By the end of the trip we were getting into Greek dining hours and walked back to the hotel after 11PM a couple of times. Felt completely safe and wouldn't hesitate to advise anyone to give it a try if you want to save 15 or 20 Euros. In fact, we're considering going back next spring and we will certainly try to stay at the Attalos when in Athens; we'd take the Metro there without hesitation day or night. (Think it stops running about midnight but it would be safest to check their website to be sure.)

BTW, we thought the Attalos was the bargain hotel of the trip. Though I hear there are a few smallish rooms, our room was the largest of anywhere we stayed except the Marriott (where we stayed on points when we first arrived - would never pay for it and the location wasn't great). We were in 405 on the front of the hotel. If you can get a front room, one ending in 02-06 (I assume the same for all floors, not just the 4th), you'll have a view of the Acropolis if you lean out just slightly past the balcony divider. (If you get the last room 06, there's no divider at the end, so the view is unobstructed.) My daughter tells me she stayed in a room down the hall on the side that also had a view, but try to avoid the 01 rooms that appear to look out over a roof and alley. I liked the fact that it was less than 5 min. walk from Monastiraki Sq. even if you're a slow walker, but was quiet, on a commercial street with a couple of banks and a bunch of plumbing and hardware stores. We booked through Dolphin Hellas for 60 Euros a night including breakfast; the Attalos website listed 80 Euros without breakfast, an additional 8 pp for breakfast. If you have to pay for the breakfast separately, I'd advise you to give it a pass because there's no way it's worth 8 Euros. But if included through an agent and the total price is good, the breakfast will hold you for a couple of hours or so. We paid more for all of the other rooms, as much as 50 Euros more a night, on the islands and the one-nighter in Athens, and the room at the Attalos was far more spacious than any except the traditional apt. we stayed in on Santorini and as well-kept as any. Even though the breakfast was the worst, the Attalos is a real bargain.
Old May 28th, 2005, 08:54 PM

I thought that the Attalos Hotel was a bargain too..Our room was huge with a balcony and we had a view of the Acropolis..Nice hardwood floor..I would stay there again..