Trains or Planes in Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I will be travelling to Europe in July 06 - there will be 2 adults and 2 todlers. I am thinking of travelling between cities on the train with a eurail ticket. Is this cheaper, more convenient then planes? What about overnight travel - I am not sure about sleepers etc as opposed to just getting normal seats. Are the sleepers ok? Keeping in mind that there will be 2 little kids. Thank you very much. Any advice would be helpful.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 04:23 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think trains would be more convenient than flying for a family of 4, since they normally go city center to city center. I'm not sure if it would be cheaper or not.

Some overnight trains offer seats and some are only sleepers, with no seat option.

There are private 2-person cabins sometimes termed wagon-lit (I'm not sure if they would let all 4 of you try to squeeze in one of those).

Or the "couchette" which are bunk beds in a shared cabin for 4 or 6 people.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 04:31 PM

It really depends on what cities you're talking about. Some are easy by rail and some are interminable.

With more info we could give specific answers.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 04:40 PM

I rode a night train once. I'd rather have a root canal than do it again. But others think it's fine.

I've always been a big fan of European trains -- but in the daytime -- following a map and seeing some countryside. But recently I've begun using planes more. There are some really super fares on the cheap interEurope airlines like Easy Jet and Ryan Air. They can often be much cheaper than the lowest train fares and certainly faster -- for those longer distance trips. Of course there is a little more hassle with longer checkin times and usually more transportation issues from airports to city centers -- so each destination requires some separate thinking.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 04:59 PM

You can certainly ride the rains without a Eurorail pass - whether it's worth buying passes for your family depends where exactly you will travel and how many train trips you will take. You can just buy your own tickets for certain routes and use planes on other routes if that's faster/more convenient.

Personally, I love trains but I'm not crazy about the idea of killing a whole day riding one unless the scenery is beautiful or something. If I could fly in 1/3 the time for not much more money I'd probably fly. Depending on the route a 7-8 hour train ride might be OK especially if there's no practical way to fly the same route at a reasonable cost.

I've never taken a night train but I'm not excited about trying one.

Andrew
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Hi again,
We will be travelling from Madrid to Paris to Berlin to Venice to Rome.
I was thinking that we would only try and travel overnight for the long trips; save on accomodation and time. Thanks for your advice. Much appreciated. Kim
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 03:50 PM

We took a night train from Paris to Venice and found it quite comfortable. You could get a 2nd class ticket, which has a room with 6 beds in it, but I guarantee as soon as someone sees a family with two toddlers, you will be left alone.

I think train travel is better because you don't have to do all the security checks and extra time and effort to get to the airport.

Also, you may check out www.ricksteves.com and raileurope.com and use their tools to figure out which is cheaper -- a point-to-point ticket for each run, or a pass.

Happy travels.

Jules
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 06:17 PM

How much traveling are you planning with those 2 little children? Not enough I hope to justify a railpass.

Train travel is great for kids in that there's space to move around and the toilet is at the end of the car.

But kids don't like a lot of travel. Better you establish yourselves in one or two places, rent an apartment or a house, and just spend some time living like a native. Save the cathedrals and the art museums for another trip.

Another thought is an agriturismo (part guest house, part working farm) but you'd pretty much need a car for that.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 08:09 PM

I really don't mind root canals, but I'd rather have a leg amputated than take an overnight train on the route you've described with two toddlers, and believe me, I've traveled Europe with infants, toddlers, youngsters, and teenagers.

Madrid to Paris to Berlin to Venice to Rome? Omigod! Take a plane, please! And please tell me you're just trying to get from Madrid to Rome and not trying to stop at all these places in between!
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 03:55 AM
ira

Hi K,

Madrid to Paris 14 hr

Paris to Berlin 11 hr

Berlin to Venice 15 hr with a change of trains

Venice to Rome 4:30 hr

See http://plannerint.b-rail.be/bin/quer...n?L=profi&
for schedules.

You can see if you should purchase a railpass at www.railsaver.com

Except for the Venice/Rome segment, I suggest that you fly.

See www.whichbudget.com.

Old Oct 7th, 2005, 04:04 AM

I've done the Madrid to Paris overnight several times. I've had root canals and didn't feel a thing so I'm not sure about Patrick's dentist's qualifications...anyway, as Ira has said it is a long journey but overnight.

However, I strong advise you to look into the possibility of flying as EasyJet does this route to Orly..in the long run and with the two kids I think you may be better off on a plane.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Original Poster

We are planning on taking about 4 weeks to do the four cities I have mentioned. To make matters more interesting we are flying out from Australia! Ahhhh? Thanks for your advice.
Kim
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 05:34 AM

There are a detailed and able survey of rail travel, country by country at http://www.seat61.com/, and a note on getting the best from sleepers and couchettes at http://www.geocities.com/rexbickers/...ghttrains.htm/. As has been said, adults vary in how much they like sleepers and couchettes, but I think all children like them a lot. A night on seats is unpleasant for everybody. So is a whole day by train, even with good scenery, so for long rail journeys you do well to save a hotel bill and a day’s travel and take a berth overnight.

RailEurope charge about thirty percent more than other agents, who will book you using a credit card and on e mail or the phone. I can list these agents if you ask me to.

IRA gives a good summary. I add adult fares, taken from the January issue of the Thomas Cook European Rail Timetable, and current times, taken from the October issue. Child fares are about a half.

Madrid to Paris 14 hr. Basic fare 88 euros, with a couchette (that is, a berth in a 6 berth compartment) 103 euros, with a berth in a 4 berth sleeper 130 euros. Madrid 1900, Paris 0827

Paris to Berlin 11 hr. Basic fare 165 euros, with a couchette (that is, a berth in a 6 berth compartment) 180 euros, with a berth in a 3 berth sleeper 210 euros. Paris 2045, Berlin 0803

Berlin to Venice 15 hr with a change of trains. Basic fare 201 euros, with a couchette (that is, a berth in a 6 berth compartment) 216 euros, with a berth in a 3 berth sleeper 245 euros. Berlin 1617, Munich 2323 to 2340 Venice 0736

Venice to Rome 4:30 hr Basic fare 35 euros, with a couchette (that is, a berth in a 6 berth compartment) 50 euros, with a berth in a 3 berth sleeper 80 euros. Venice Mestre 2332 (in a car from Udine), Rome 0656

If you will take flights with changes of plane, I think you will find that Germanwings, http://www.germanwings.de, fly from Cologne-Bonn to
Berlin, Madrid and Rome

Ben Haines, London
[email protected]

Old Oct 10th, 2005, 06:46 AM

Those are awful long trips even for an overnight train. I would either fly or break the journey up into 2 or 3 segments (excepting Venice to Rome as already mentioned).
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 09:32 AM

Suze: May I please disagree ? From Madrid to Paris, from Paris to Belgium, and from Berlin to Munich you have a restaurant car, or you can stock up with packed suppers and for Madrid to Paris breakfast, or walk along to the restaurant car, which overall takes fifty minutes a meal. Everybody needs to change to and from pyjamas, wash, and brush their teeth. When the family leave Paris they may find a shower at the end of the corridor. They will sleep far the greater part of each journey, and indeed my choice of Mestre at 2323 for leaving Venice is to give people an important thirty minutes extra in bed that night.

Ben Haines
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 09:46 AM

Of course Mr. Haines, I would take your advice rather than my own (any day!) because I know you are much more experienced with traveling in Europe.

I think overnight trains are great fun myself, I was just having trouble picturing it on 4 different occasions with 2 small children in tow.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!