Reload this Page >

Trains Munich to Berlin

Search

Trains Munich to Berlin

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2000, 08:30 PM
travellerza

Trains Munich to Berlin

I read in the lonely planet travel book that there is a night time train ( you have to travel between 7 pm and 2 am) with greatly reduced rates, also called the GUTEN ABEND tickets. I am trying to find out prices and schedules but i dont know how to get more details on that trains. Can anyone please help me ?

Old Jan 12th, 2000, 08:58 PM
anonymous

The Deutsche Bahn website of the German <BR>trains, at http://www.deutschebahn.de, <BR>has information in German. It says that <BR>the Guten-Abend-Ticket is good from 7pm <BR>to 2am (from 2pm Saturday) on most <BR>trains, except for a list of sleepers, <BR>car trains, and special trains. It must <BR>be bought before boarding the train. It <BR>costs 59DM for non-ICE trains, 69DM for <BR>ICE trains, with a 15DM surcharge for the weekend; kids 6-11 are half price.

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 06:17 AM
Jochen

Deutsche Bahn has some information in English as well: <BR> <BR>http://www.bahn.de/home/db_reise_tou...national.shtml <BR> <BR>Regards, Jochen

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 01:18 PM
Kevin

I work for GermanRail, in the U.S. This is obviously something that must be purchased in Germany. But I fail to see this a a practical thing, as travel between Munchen-Berlin does not fit within that time frame. If you are looking at the overnight, it leaves 2306hrs and arrives 0757hrs <BR>Depending on whether you get sleeping accomodations or seats, the prices range from $140-$160. If you would like further help check out our website at www.dertravel.com <BR> <BR> Kevin

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 03:55 PM
Bob Brown

Try this website. <BR> <BR>http://bahn.hafas.de/bin/detect.exe/bin/query.exe/e <BR> <BR>This version is in English, well, sort of, because it obviously was not written by native speakers, or people with equivalent knowledge. <BR> <BR>The bargain tickets must be purchased within 30 KM of the departure station. <BR>Their words not mine. <BR> <BR>But the cost of the ticket in Germany is much cheaper than the prices quoted by the guy above. I was reading prices like 84 DM, which is about $46 depending on the rate of exchange.

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 06:03 PM
harzer

Yeah, I just checked Munich-Berlin trains. The quickest evening train leaves M. at 17.48 and arrives B. at 00.53: DM249. <BR>The real overnighters take like 11 hours, so you can't qualify for the Guten Abend special. No price given for the slow trains.