Search

trains in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trains in Italy

My sister and I are traveling to Italy in March for 8 days. We are staying in Lucca and touring Tuscany. We will take a few day trips- the furthest being Venice. We would like to travel using the train but are very confused about the eurail passes. Days, time of year, local, city to city, discount on 2 people, purchasing in the US before leaving, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 10:29 AM

You do not need a Eurail pass for travel within Italy. You can purchase tickets at the train station when you are ready to travel somewhere. Many local trains do not even have reserved seats.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 10:34 AM

No Eurail does not pass for your plans - trains in Italy so cheap just buy tickets as you go for your type trips - even the Italian railpass is way too expensive for your plans. Buses may be a better way to get around Tuscany.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 10:39 AM
KT

Do you realize that Lucca to Venice is a train ride of at least 4 hours? Kind of a long day trip. If you want to check on train schedules, go to www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 01:30 PM
ira

Hi di,

As noted, train schedules, prices and tickets are at www.trenitalia.com.

I strongly recommend against a daytrip to Venice from anywhere. You will be caught up in the crowds of daytrippers and will not properly enjoy it. It should be at least an overnight.

Is there a reason why you are staying in Lucca for 8 days?

Old Feb 27th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

We are planning to experience Italy instaed of exhausting ouselves trying to see everything. Lucca has a reputation for just that! It is also easy to walk around the walled city. We can also take a bus or train from their. The reason for Venice is that was the one request my sister had. Mine is Civita. The apartment we are renting is also very reasonable and we could book a room in Venice if need be. Our trip is in March so hopefully we are avoiding the crowds.
Thanks for all the advice. Looks like we will wait to purchase tickets.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 05:53 PM

I love Lucca---I love Civita---I love Venice--just not from the same base.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

What would be your way of touring these places?
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 11:43 PM

I love Lucca and am glad that you will be staying there as it is my most favorite city in Tuscany. However, as the others have said, Venice is too far away to visit as a day trip. After your 4 hour train ride, you would barely have time to dash to St. Mark's Basilica, ride the vaporetto around the Grand Canal and then head back to Lucca at day's end. I would recommend staying overnight in Venice so at least you can spend 1 1/2-2 days there to see more of the sites, soak up the atmosphere, etc.

Train travel in Italia is not difficult. I do not recommend buying a Eurail pass or any tickets in advance here in the U.S. You will be there in March and there are few tourists at that time. It will be very easy for you to walk up to the ticket windows at the train stations and just buy your point-to-point tickets directly. Lucca is close to the other cities in Tuscany and there are many trains going and coming daily in between the towns. Even if you missed your train time, chances are there is another within 15-30 minutes' time that you can take. Enjoy yourselves and have a great trip!
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply. I am a lttle anxious about our trip.(We have never been to Italy). I feel I have made the correct choice on where to stay. Any favorites in Lucca or near by?
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 05:13 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Many apartments will rent for as little as 3 days. Where are you flying in and out?
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 05:22 AM

Its a quick trip to Pisa from Lucca. And Vinci (just west of Florence) is a pretty town with a neat museum full of reproductions of Leonardo's inventions (from his notebooks).

Definitely stay overnight in Venice.

I agree you should not bother with a rail pass. You'll be fine just buying tickets as you go.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 05:48 AM

For Venice, stay in Venice.
For Civita, stay in Orvieto.
But from Lucca both are too far.
From Lucca, see Florence, Pisa, the Garfagnana, and Portovenere.