Trains in Italy

Mar 26th, 2001, 12:40 PM
Dawn

Trains in Italy

How much can I expect to pay for a train ride from Venice to Florence, and from Florence to Rome? I did check the train website, but I didn't find a list of prices. I also did a search on trains and didn't find what I'm looking for. If anyone can point me in the right direction, or give me this info, I'd appreciate it. I'd like both 1st and 2nd class prices to compare. Thank you in advance.

Mar 26th, 2001, 12:58 PM
Dan

A 2nd class ticket from Venice to Florence is about $20. Don't take the Eurostar since they go on the same tracks on the Venice to Florence trip. They do have there own tracks from Florence to Rome. The only difference between 1st and 2nd class is the seats are cloth in 1st. Italy is very cheap to travel by train.

Mar 26th, 2001, 12:59 PM
Ed

The Italian Federal Railway site at
http://www.fs-on-line.com/
has fares, but in the format of a list.

Fares, in Europe, are calculated based on distance covered, so are specific to each train schedule. (Most of the runs you would take on the routes you plan would be the same distance of course ... nonetheless ... )

So, use the site to pull up a schedule, and then select one of the trips and see what the price comes to.

Mar 26th, 2001, 01:06 PM
Mariarosa

Hi Dawn! After you put in your departure, destination, data and time, you will get a list of possible train times. If you click on the red arrow or the number to the left of the red arrow (under the "select" column), you will get to a screen with additional information, including the train number and the fares (if the fares do not appear, you can click on the "Calculate Fare" on the lower right-hand corner).

Venice - Florence
Eurostar would cost 73,700 in first class or 49,700 in second class
EC and IC trains would cost 50,400 in first class and 36,300 in second class

Florence - Rome
Eurostar would cost 81,900 in first class and 54,800 in second class
IC trains would be 59,400 in first class and 42,500 in second class

Mar 26th, 2001, 01:34 PM
Dawn

Thank you all for your help! I guess I didn't go far enough in depth when checking the Italian Federal Railway site.

Thank you for the information!

Mar 26th, 2001, 03:06 PM
Pier-Mauro Mazzadi

In one of the replies above Dan told you not to take Eurostar trains between Florence and Siena because they share the same tracks. Dan is right: they do share the same tracks but Eurostars are FASTER than normal trains --even if, unfortunately, on the Florence to Venice line they make stops at Bologna, Ferrara, Padova and Mestre.
As for 1st vs 2nd class: as with airlines, 1class is roomier and seats slightly more comfortable.
Remember you always have to make a seat reservation for Eurostars.
Buon Viaggio !
Pier-Mauro, Florence, Italy