Hotels in Prague

Mar 25th, 2001, 01:13 PM
Janet

Hotels in Prague

Thanks for the info on the Cloister, unfortunatley they are all booked up. Anyone else know of The Charles Hotel in Old Town or any suggestions on another hotel in Old Town??? Thanks Lee for the info, I'll try the restaurant you suggested.

Mar 25th, 2001, 01:53 PM
Gloria

Hello, Janet,
We just returned from Prague last week. It is a lovely city. Try:
http://prague.nethotels.com
and a very nice woman, named, Jana, helped us at Ave travel. Her email is:
[email protected]
They put is in an apartment that is associated with the Hotel Waldstein, with a lovely breakfast at the Waldstein. I would stay at the Hotel Waldstein in a minute. A couple of British tourists told us they had gotten a 4 for the price of 3 rate.
Our apartment was in Lesser Town. I liked that area personally. It was very nice and situated among many of the embassies in Prague. We were only 2 blocks from the tram stop (#23), and had many nice restaurants close. Prague is so small that we could walk to the Charles Bridge and the Castle.
Good Luck!
Gloria

Mar 25th, 2001, 02:02 PM
ger

Janet:

Don't know what your budget is. I stayed in the Old Town in the Hotel Pariz. It's a large hotel just off the square and central to everything. It was built during the Art Noveau period - the exterior is wonderful. Rooms are large, clean, very comfortable and the decor is an interesting blend of stark modern and Art Nouveau "accents". The restaurant is supposedly very good, but I did not try it.

The other place I WANTED to stay in was the Hoffmeister (a relais & chateau) .... in my dreams ... it was VERY expensive but thought I would metion it!

Regards

Mar 25th, 2001, 05:15 PM
Linda

We stayed at Penzion Balbin on Balbinova. It is 5-10 minute walk to just about anywhere. It is on the top floors of an apartment building with locked door to front street near the Muzeum Metro & Wenceslas Square. You get a clean bedroom with shower & toilet, buffet breakfast & helpful English-speaking staff. We paid $35 in November '97 for 2. I know in '99 it was about $85.

Mar 25th, 2001, 07:02 PM
Christina

There are several Charles hotels in Prague (at least that's part of their name), I thought Charles Hotel was in Mala Strana (Lesser Town) on the other side of the river towards the castle, rather than Old Town. That's a pretty expensive hotel, isn't it? At least the rates I've seen, maybe double the Cloister? If so, there are several nice hotels in Old Town that should easily be in that price range that are very central -- I've heard the Renaissance (newly redone) is pretty nice, it's not far from Old Town Sq at all, also the Pariz and Grandhotel Bohemia are right near there, also (those are Czech) and that's a nice area (near Namesti Republicky metro stop). There is also a Best Western hotel in Prague in Old Town, the Meteor Plaza, that is supposed to be pretty decent; I think it's also right near the others I mentioned (so is a new Marriott). All of those hotels (BW, Marriot, Rennaissance) are massive renovations of old architecturally interesting Czech buildings, they aren't modern structures (actually Prague has quite a few modern ugly hotels but they tend to be Czech, many leftover from the communist era and bad 60s/70s architecture).

Mar 25th, 2001, 09:08 PM
Anna

A word of warning about the Hoffmeister - we stayed there because I had never been disappointed by a Relais et Chateaux property.....until the Hoffmeister! We checked in to find our room looked nothing like those in the brochure - more like a Travelodge (not at Travelodge rates though). They could or would not move us. It turns out that they have R&C rooms and 'business' rooms - so it may be a bit of a lottery when you arrive.

We checked out and moved to the Palace, which was fine. But next time - I'll head for the new Four Seasons.

Mar 25th, 2001, 09:24 PM
Ger

Anna: Thanks for the feedback on the Hoffmeister ... I would have been shattered!

Mar 26th, 2001, 01:57 PM
Janet

Thanks for everyone's helpful info, I will check some other places that were mentioned. About The Charles being accross the bridge, will that be a problem with transportation, I'm concerned about my dad who is quite elderly?? I want to be as centrally located as possible.

Mar 26th, 2001, 03:06 PM
Christina

I don't think being across the bridge is terrible, but it really depends on what you planned to see and how much walking your father can do. Prague is rigorous for walking due to the hill (to the castle) and the cobblestones, etc. Walking across Charles Bridge is pleasant and easy for most folks, but it is a distance all the way from Charles Hotel over to the main square (maybe a half mile). However, you would have the same problem if you were right near Namesti Republicky stop on the other side, you would be far away from the castle and St Nicholas church and some things in Mala Strana, so you can't win. You really need to plan your transportation issues (cab, bus, tram or metro) and what you plan to see, as it makes a difference in where you stay. That Charles Hotel is not that close to a metro stop, for example, but it is right near the 22 tram which goes up to the castle in one way, and then goes across the river towards the tram stop not too far from Wenceslaus Sq (Nerodni something?) the other way. However, that is a walk then from Old Town Sq; not too far, but still a ways. I sympathize with your problems and if your father can walk up to a half mile, I wouldn't worry, as I'm sure it's no further than that from the tram stop to Old Town Sq (prob less). Just look at a map, you can pretty much tell. That's interesting about the Hoffmeister, it looked so great in photos, etc, I really wanted to stay there, glad I didn't. Sometimes newly renovated modern convenience hotels aren't so bad, you know, they are comfortable, at least, and things work. There is one good thing in that styles have changed so the decor etc would probably be more tasteful and stylish in the new Renaissance hotel than in some of the older Communist-era concrete block hotels that are still expensive (I've seen photos of some and they look like a time warp, shag carpets, discos, glass coffee tables, etc.).

Mar 26th, 2001, 03:15 PM
Pam

Based on my own experience, I wouldn't go back to the Pariz. The price for our room was close to $300/night last October; it was shabby and loud and the service there was really awful. The location is excellent.

There were no other guests around one night, and I asked the front desk clerk for help finding a business in the telephone book. She basically refused, even though she was sitting at the counter doing nothing.

However, the restaurant at the Pariz was very good, as was the service.