Trains from Rome to Portofino

Aug 28th, 2003, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Trains from Rome to Portofino

I'd like to take a daytrip to Portofino during my trip to Rome next March. I was wondering if someone could tell me how far they are from one another and what's the quickest route via train? I would also appreciate suggestions on things to do once we get there...it will be me and my adult daughter.

TIA,

Renee
Aug 28th, 2003, 10:35 AM

Did you mean Portofino or Positano? If Portofino, be aware that the train trip is between five and six hours, requiring at least one change of trains. If you left early in the morning, you'd arrive between 12 and 1pm. To get back to Rome that night, you would only have, at most, five or six hours in Portofino. Hardly worth the long journey. If you meant Positano, you could take an ES train to Naples (90 minutes) then a bus, cab, or Circumvesuviana train and bus or cab to Positano. Another long trip but you would have a bit more time in Positano.
Aug 28th, 2003, 10:51 AM

Hi Renee

We were in Italy this summer and took the train from Rome to Camogli, 1 stop past Portofino going north. It took 5 hours vis 'ES' train to Genoa Brignole station, where we had to change and 15 minutes from there to Camogli. We took the 07:10 from Roma TE.

Not a day trip IMO.

Go to www.trenitalia.com, plug in your itinerary and get the info yourself.
Aug 29th, 2003, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys for helping me to come to a decision about that daytrip. Grinisa, I will definitely look into Positano....I've seen a lot of posts about it...now I will go back and read them. lol

Search this Thread