Search

Rome-Positano-Naples Airport Inquiries

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome-Positano-Naples Airport Inquiries

Hello,
I know there are many other threads that have to do with transfers to these areas but I am confused and hope that someone who is familiar with these areas in Italy will clear it up for me for my itinerary. Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions. This is our first time in these areas.

My husband and I are staying in Rome and then planning to take the train to Naples (should we book this in advance? Where can we book it?) Then we are hoping to find a driver to take us from the Naples train station to our hotel in Positano as we heard this is the easiest way and I am not the lightest packer. We booked Villa Franca in Positano. Is that a good choice? How far is it from the beach?
We only have 4 nights in the Amalfi area and decided to stay in Positano for 3 nights. Is that a good choice for a home base in Amalfi? We have a 6:45am flight to Munich from Naples then we transfer planes to take us home to Canada. I always assumed we would stay the last night in Naples as we leave so early. I have read some other threads and they talked about staying all nights in Positano and hiring a car and driver to take us to the Naples airport. My main questions are what would be the best choice? If we stayed all 4 nights in Positano then we would have to leave at 4am or 5am to make our flight. How long a car ride is it to Naples from Positano? Could we even find a driver to do this? Or is it nice to have at least one day to see Naples?
Thank you again for your time to answer my numerous questions!
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 07:52 PM

It is easy to get confused. There are so many options, each with pros and cons depending on circumstances, so no one method is better for all travelers.

Rome Termini - Napoli Centrale (Train).

You are from Canada. For U.S. travelers, pre-buying this ticket is difficult thru Trenitalia.com because they don't accept U.S. credit cards. But the trains are frequent so unless you are traveling on a especially busy holiday time, you can buy tickets in Rome; at FCO Trenitalia or at Termini.

Rome Tiburtina - Sorrento (bus).

Two companies run this route: www.curreriviaggi.it and www.marozzivt.it.

Rome Tiburtina - Positano (bus).

www.marozzivt.it runs this route in summer. See http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic..._Campania.html, http://www.italyheaven.co.uk/amalficoast.html, http://slowtalk.com/groupee/forums/a...85/m/713101551

There is also train Roma-Salerno, then SITA bus Salerno-Amalfi then Positano, as well as boat Salerno-Positano. http://www.salernocity.com/comune/tr.../travelmar.asp

There are more options, but you have to decide what you want to favor: time, cost, number of transfers, avoiding crowded trains, distance you have to schlep luggage, etc.

Whether Positano is a good base depends on what you intend to do in Amalfi.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Greg for your help. I think we want to travel from Rome to Positano the quickest way (we don't have a lot of days in Amalfi) and the least transfers because I am not a light packer!
Positano is the relaxing part of our trip. We will have been to a few large cities beforehand. I think we want to relax by the pool or beach and go to nice restaurants and walk around. Is Pompeii worth checking out for a day or 1/2 day? We have little time in this area.
Thank again for your help.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 07:03 AM

Zoey:

I just did this trip a couple of weeks ago. Took the Leonardo Express from FCO to Rome Termini and then booked the fast train (1 hr. 10 min) to Naples. Our hotel in Positano arranged for a driver who met us on the platform. Everything worked like clockwork. We allowed 3 hours between arrival at FCO until departure to Naples just to be safe because reservations were needed on the trains.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 07:10 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
There is a bus (Buonotourist)from FCO to Salerno, but only one run per day at about 2pm.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 07:17 AM
ira

Hi Z,

If you are flying into FCO, you can buy your train ticket to Naples when you get your ticket on the Leonardo da Vinci Express to Rome.

For private limo transfers, we were pleased with Limousine Service Sorrento (Renato Cuomo) www.cuomonet.it
Also consider Francesco. http://www.francescomarrapese.com/

I would do the last night in Naples and arrange for a taxi to NAP.
You might want to consider http://www.costantinopoli104.com/ and http://www.hotelpiazzabellini.com/

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 07:59 AM

The easiest and quickest way from Rome to Positano is to hire a private driver. This will cost in the area of 350/400 euro. If you decide to go this route, I will try to offer suggestions for drivers.

Next best, and much cheaper, is to take the train to Naples and have the driver collect you at the train station and bring you to your hotel, as mentioned above.

On the return, you certainly can find a driver who will take you to the airport at that very early hour. You need to arrive at the airport an hour or 1.5 hours, tops, before the flight; two hours before is too early for that airport. With such a limited amount of time and given your interests, I would certainly do that, rather than spend the last day in Naples. You are really not saving all that much time in the morning anyway, by moving to Naples for the lasst night. You will wipe out an afternoon in Positano for the savings of about 30 minutes drive time in the morning.

I would begin by asking your hotel for recommendations of drivers for the trip to the airport.

The trip to the Naples airport from Positano takes well under an hour, barring unforeseen road conditions, which are probably unlikely given the early hour.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 08:05 AM

<<We booked Villa Franca in Positano. Is that a good choice? How far is it from the beach?>>

A note about Villa Franca-

It is a lovely hotel with great views and a wonderful rooftop pool. Nice breakfast too. I did not eat at the hotel restaurant but heard from those that did that it was very good. The hotel is located toward the top of Positano so it is not an easy walk to the beach. There is a hotel shuttle that will take you up and down the hill to the beach and town center. I found myself spending my "relaxing in the sun" time at the pool. They do serve lunch and refreshments poolside and the view is incredible.

If you don't want to use the shuttle or the steep steps up and down the hillside, there is a winding road that is easy to walk- it just takes longer (although, sometimes, not as long as waiting for the shuttle to arrive). There are some nice places to eat along the road.

There is a bus stop near the hotel to take you along the coast. That bus may be crowded though. I enjoyed taking the public boat and the views of the coastline from the boat. Much more relaxing than the bus.