Trains from Brussels to Amsterdam

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the best and easiest way to get from Brussels Airport to Amsterdam? Could we drive -pick up the car at the airport and drop off in Amsterdam? WE are up there in age and are looking for the least hassle. any opinions? Hi speed trains I am told require advance reservations and if the flight is late we could lose our tickets. Local trains take much longer.
HELP!!!!
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 02:17 PM

We had no problem going from Amsterdam to Brussels. I suspect going the other direction would be just as easy. We just went to the train station and bought a ticket. As I recall it was a weekend and the tickets were two for the price of one.
I'd suggest looking at what Rick Steves says about getting from the airport to Brussels. We had no problem with buses and the metro in Brussels.
I'm 70 so no spring chicken. You can check out my webpage. It has some stories of our travels -

http://www.rimerson.com/
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 02:26 PM

Intercity trains - they leave from the three main Brussels stations which are Nord, Central and Midi - do not require advance reservations. The journey is 45 min. longer than on the high speed trains (3 hrs 22 min. vs. 2 hrs 34 min. total). I believe the frequency of the intercity trains is one train every hour.

Whether you take the high speed or the intercity, you will have to take a local train that goes to Brussels anyway.

Check out http://www.b-europe.com/Travel for timetables and prices of the various options.
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 02:29 PM

There is no need to take a metro or a taxi to get to Brussels Central (this is for the the intercity trains) or Midi (this is for the Thalys high speed trains). The train station is IN the airport, on the lowest level and trains to the city are very frequent, like every 10 mins. or so. It is really very easy!
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 02:46 PM

as others say it is easy to go from Brussels to Amsterdam on a local trian-have done it many times.
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to you all - this makes us feel a lot better. Is there a problem with luggage on the train from the airport ? Where do you put luggage on the train from Brussels to Amsterdam?
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 07:39 PM

Overhead or at the end of the train, best to keep an eye on them so don't pack to big a suitcase, and make sure its not to heavy to lift.
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 08:04 PM

It is not difficult to compare car vs. train. These type of info are available on internet.

Train: 3.5hr to Amsterdam Centraal, 44EU/each * 2 = 88EU with change in train at Brussels Central ~12min.

Car:~1hr to rental, paper work, ~2.5hr to Amsterdam, ~0.5hr returning car, Total = 4hrs
Cost: ~170EU (Hertz), ~25EU gas, Total = ~195EU
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 11:18 AM

@ greg
2.5 hr to Amsterdam by car ... you are very optimistic!
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 12:25 PM

Getting into Amsterdam by car is very very hard if you do not know the city - much of it is off limits to non-resident cars and parking can be hard to find - if you just want to get from Zaventem Airport in Brussels to Amsterdam I would definitely take the hourly IC trains from Brussels Midi (Zuid or South station also called) to Amsterdam Centraal, right in the heart of town. Avoid the Thalys trains which though faster can be much much more expensive. Just buy your Airport to Amsterdam Centraal tickets upon arrival in the airport train station - you will have to change once - perhaps Brussels Midi but perhaps the airport trains go also north to Mechelin or antwerp - that would be better - quicker and a tad cheaper - just ask the English-speaking person at the rail desk at the airport train station (used to be at least a rail desk inside Customs for tickets but that was a few years back.

IC trains have a flat fare so just buy tickets upon arrival - there are no seat reservations possible - I have ridden those trains many times and 2nd class can be SRO at times and first class always sparely full - IMO for this trip pay extra and go in first class to guaranteeably have no hassles.

If taking other trains check out these fantastic IMO sites about trains in that area - www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com. And do not worry about getting on trains - anyone can always board, empty seats or not and again in first class you will always IME find many empty seats whereas 2nd class at times can be chock full as these are basically commuter trains where people jam on and off and most ride in 2nd class.
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 06:25 AM

Changing trains in Mechelen or Antwerp does not affect the price of a ticket.
I can only recommend to change trains in one of the Brussels train stations (I usually change in Brussels Central - departing at 22 mins. past the hour). You will have a better choice of seatings. When you change in Antwerp, the train can be pretty full already, unless you travel in first class.
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 08:44 AM

Good advice from Myrian, a Belgian resident I believe - I have ridden those trains a lot and yes 2nd class by Antwerp can be SRO - for a relaxed journey pay extra for first class, especially if you are towing lots of bags around - you will be able to put them on adjoining seats and not in crowded overhead luggage racks like in 2nd class IME. 1st class seats are bigger as well and the price differential on this journey may not be that great.

Myrian - why is the price the same from Antwerp to Amsterdam as from Brussels - from any Belgian station the fare is the same - why? Thanks in advance for explaining that conundrum.
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 12:13 PM

I have driven from Brussels to Amsterdam many many times and yes 2.5 hours would be optimal at speeds over the limits around many urban areas - often traffic snarls IME. But it also ain't that long of a drive but for the OP doing it by car IMO is foolish, esp after an all-night flight.
Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 06:29 AM

@ PalenQ
That must be a misunderstanding. Brussels to Amsterdam is more expensive than Antwerp to Amsterdam (43.40 euro vs. 31.00 euro).
Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 08:17 AM

Changing trains in Mechelen or Antwerp does not affect the price of a ticket>

Oops yes my misunderstanding - I see now the ticket price is the same whether you change en route or not - I had read that the same price from Mechelen as from Brussels - my mistake and thanks for correcting moi!