Reload this Page >

Trains- First Class or Second Class?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 1997, 09:38 PM
Mike Harding

I am looking for information on the specific differences between 1st and 2nd class trains and in which cases it makes sense to pay for 1st class. How much does it depend upon the country in which you are travelling and how much upon the type of train? I will be travelling between Prague, Vienna, Venice, and Rome and would appreciate any recommendations on these routes. Thanks.

Old Oct 2nd, 1997, 08:31 AM
Darlene

Mike,
It has been a few years, but I have traveled on first and second class trains between Florence, Rome and Naples. First class was a little more plush of course, but second class was much more fun. People moved more freely about the train and I met some interesting people.

Old Oct 3rd, 1997, 07:37 AM
Linzee

We purchased European East passes which were for 1st class, so I don't really have an idea of what the price difference would be. It was comfortable and clean, nonetheless. We took a night train from Prague to Budapest and bought a supplement to do so. If you do the same, be sure you know where your car is. Be prepared for the unsavory crowd on the platform and beware the pickpockets.

Old Oct 16th, 1997, 05:36 PM
Scott

Here's the best plan...2nd class in Western Europe and 1st class in Eastern Europe. As the post above mentioned, anybody interesting travels 2nd class in Western Europe. The boring businessman travels 1st class. Who needs that? The last time I got a Eurail pass, it was for 1st class (if you're over 26, that's all you can get). I used my 1st class pass in 2nd class. All the good-looking, friendly people travel in 2nd class. East Europe is a different story. The fares are cheaper, and the class of traveler is much lower, sorry to say. When I travelled in Eastern Europe, it was in 1989, right after the revolutions. Going from Budapest in Hungary to Bucharest in Romania, word spread up and down the train that an American was on board (me). People came up to me and stared at me, because they had presumably never seen an American, especially one travelling 2nd class. I must admit, it was a novelty, but I didn't feel very safe there. I had one compartment mate display a huge knife in my direction going on the train to Sofia, Bulgaria. It's probably much changed from then, but it's also much more comfortable in 1st class, relatively speaking. Enjoy!

Old Oct 17th, 1997, 05:52 AM
Mary

Just took the train second-class from Venice to Florence--it was fine; the primary difference seemed to be that in first-class there were doileys for your head. . .have a great time.

Old Oct 17th, 1997, 07:25 AM
Sally

I think the major difference in European trains is between the IC and EC intercity trains and the "locals" On the IC/EC trains second class is great! I took both first and second class trains this summer in Czech Republic and Hungary. The only difference was that in second class there were no compartments... more like an American train and harder seats, but still fine and no doilie In the less developed Eastern European countries the difference may be more marked. For example the IC from Thessaloniki to Budapest had cars that looked pretty grungy in any class! [We were meeting a friend who boarded in Skopje, MK] There is a small supplement for IC/EC trains and BE SURE TO GET A SEAT RESERVATION as well as a ticket for *any* train, whatever the class.

Old Oct 17th, 1997, 07:27 AM
Sally

I think the major difference in European trains is between the IC and EC intercity trains and the "locals" On the IC/EC trains second class is great! I took both first and second class trains this summer in Czech Republic and Hungary. The only difference was that in second class there were no compartments... more like an American train and harder seats, but still fine and no doilie In the less developed Eastern European countries the difference may be more marked. For example the IC from Thessaloniki to Budapest had cars that looked pretty grungy in any class! [We were meeting a friend who boarded in Skopje, MK] There is a small supplement for IC/EC trains and BE SURE TO GET A SEAT RESERVATION as well as a ticket for *any* train, whatever the class.

Old Oct 17th, 1997, 08:18 AM
Tom

I have enjoyed taking second class trains in most of western Europe. Italy is the exception however. I generally make first class reservations in Italy based on advice from many guide books that the second class compartments fill up quickly. On one occasion, I was unable to make a first class reservation because the train was departing in less than an hour. I spent the next several hours from Milan to the lake district and beyond in the hallway because the train was grossly over-booked. This experience may be isolated, but I will not make the same mistake again.

Old Oct 17th, 1997, 09:49 AM
Tom

I'd vote for 1st class - coupled with the need to get seat reservations in some cases - based on my experiences. As mentioned, you can always spend time in 2nd class as well. Also, one big diff. on many trains is that in 1st class, you can sit within a train compartment which is cordoned off by a sliding glass door. This provides privacy and quiet - espcially if you're still recovering from jet lag or from a late night out! I've found this to be quite helpful/relaxing on occasion!

Old Oct 22nd, 1997, 05:50 PM
Tricia

sending up for other question on same topic

Old Oct 24th, 1997, 03:32 PM
Monica

I vote for 1st class--doesn't cost that much more, especially if you get your pass/ ticket here, and you are pretty much guaranteed a seat. We had an Italy rail pass and no seat reservations and had no problems but in 2nd class a lot of people were left standing.

Old Oct 31st, 1997, 05:20 AM
Joyce

Just returned last night from the entire month of October in Italy. Used 2nd class rail pass all the way and no trouble whatsoever. When in doubt about whether a train would be full or not, we easily got seat reservations ahead of time. Sometimes they were not needed, others we were glad we had them, and the cost is minimal. Some of the above responses seemed to indicate you only have compartments in 1st class. Not true at all. There didn't seem to be any pattern as to when we would have compartments and when open seating. I think we usually enjoyed the open more anyway. I've always felt the only people who used 1st class were those on Eurail passes who didn't have a choice. When travelling primarily in one country, it is always far cheaper to buy that country's pass than
Eurail.

Old Oct 31st, 1997, 05:29 AM
Rhea

First class is only a tad more expensive. If you are
traveling during high season (which apparently I was
in early Oct.) had 1 other person.It's not that much plusher - it's the the comfort as one IS on
holiday.

Old Oct 31st, 1997, 05:30 AM
Joyce

As a follow-up to my above response, I remember a girl travelling alone from Florence to Venice telling me she was unable to obtain a reservation (at the time of departure) because she did not have a 1st class ticket. We had reservations on our 2nd class pass, but we had made them the day before. I think that is the difference - reservations in 2nd class must be made at least a day in advance, but that's really no problem. We always did it that way simply because it was easier to do when there were no lines as opposed to zillions of people trying to get them at the last minute.

Old Oct 31st, 1997, 01:35 PM
mark

I've travelled mostly Western Europe and have not found a tremendous difference between 1st & 2nd. And, contrary to earlier postings, have sat in "compartments" in 2nd class trains in Austria, Germany, Holland and Belgium. If you are at all claustrophobic, I would not recommend a sleeper car for overnights. I did this 4 winters ago from Paris to Munich and it was not fun. The compartment was about 8 ft. long x 5 ft. wide (I'm 6'l") and hot as hell. But if 1st class is not much more expensive, go with it.

Old Oct 31st, 1997, 01:37 PM
mark

I've travelled mostly Western Europe and have not found a tremendous difference between 1st & 2nd. And, contrary to earlier postings, have sat in "compartments" in 2nd class trains in Austria, Germany, Holland and Belgium. If you are at all claustrophobic, I would not recommend a sleeper car for overnights. I did this 4 winters ago from Paris to Munich and it was not fun. The compartment was about 8 ft. long x 5 ft. wide (I'm 6'l") and hot as hell. But if 1st class is not much more expensive, go with it.

Old Nov 1st, 1997, 02:15 PM
Anita

We were in Italy for the first two weeks in Oct. We bought an Italy flexipass, lst class, before leaving the US - it gave us four days of travel in one month. It cost $215 plus the fedex charge of $15. Since we were only going on it from Rome to Florence to Venice to Milan -one-way -and Lake Como RT - we thought it was the cheapest. We had our hotel make seat reservations the day before we wanted to leave for the next city - only 5000 lire each and the hotel didn't charge to do it. The flexipass is a good buy if you are traveling long distances with more than one stop in a 24 hour period. But I think it is cheaper to buy the ticket at the station - or through your hotel - when you need it if you are doing what we did - point to point rides. If you are familiar with train travel and thorough in getting directions on where to go and how to use your tickets, you will pay about 30,000 lire for a Venice to Milan one way ticket with reservation in lst class. Currently that would be about $20. The train station was a quick trip from where we stayed in each city. Having had the experience, that is what I will do in the future. But for a first timer in a country where you don't speak the language you might feel safer getting the ticket ahead of time. That's why we did it. Use Rick Steve's info off the web or in his books - he sends you a very good Eurailpass pamphlet. We know that 2nd class seating is the same quality but obviously more crowded. Only you can decide where to spend your money - trains, hotels, meals etc. We put our money on the first two. Another hint - take several guide books if you are into museums - we liked Rick Steve's Italy and his Mona Winks as well as the Cadogen Guide. Also rent the audio guides, especially if you have no guidebook. Be very very careful about your posessions - keep passports and money UNDER your shirt and watch your purse even if it IS in front of you. The pickpockets - kids, too - are fast and clever. Just talk to someone who has lost all - it RUINS your vacation. Here an ounce of prevention is a necessity. With that warning, you WILL enjoy Italy. Ciao!

Old Nov 3rd, 1997, 02:59 AM
BH

Hi this summer my friends and I traveled to London Paris and Amsterdam. We took the train from London to Paris and Paris to Amsterdam. My friends and I traveled in second class and we found that it was not bad at all. It was just wonderful. From London to Paris, the Fisrt Class passengers got bigger seats and a meal with complementary bevarages and newpapers. In second class we had to buy our own food and drinks. The seats in second class do not recline. The train for Paris to Amsterdam was almost identical to the London Paris train the only difference was that each car has a section of second class that is its own compartment. This compartment has about eight seats in it. I did not find second class to e bad at all. The trains we were on were the fast modern bullet trains, I do not know how the service is on a regular train.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 05:23 PM

topping a very oldie - - almost seems wrong to bring it up from its deep sleep!<BR>