Trainline GroupSave UK

Search

Trainline GroupSave UK

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2023, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trainline GroupSave UK

So, I'm already buying a Two Together Railcard for myself and one brother. Now looking at Cambridge day trip with both of them. Trainline says save more with GroupSave. Does that mean I need to buy an additional Railcard? This would be a one-time kind of a deal.
Old Jul 31st, 2023, 08:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stokebailey
So, I'm already buying a Two Together Railcard for myself and one brother. Now looking at Cambridge day trip with both of them. Trainline says save more with GroupSave. Does that mean I need to buy an additional Railcard? This would be a one-time kind of a deal.
I really wouldn't trust trainline on all details (they are good but,,, they are not route/root source of most information but a commercial organisation, I've been let down in the past) but I would read the details behind https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ticke...ns/group-save/
Old Jul 31st, 2023, 08:46 AM

Groupsave discount needs a group of 3.

It does or require a discount. If you are a travel duo, you can't enjoy group save discount.

National Rail should be the golden source.
Old Jul 31st, 2023, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Bilbo and Jeffrey. I was unclear: one brother and I have Railcard 2 together. For another trip another brother joins, so three of us. When I went to check out, it said "two Railcards."

I'll keep trying. Appreciate your help.
Old Jul 31st, 2023, 11:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stokebailey
Thank you, Bilbo and Jeffrey. I was unclear: one brother and I have Railcard 2 together. For another trip another brother joins, so three of us. When I went to check out, it said "two Railcards."

I'll keep trying. Appreciate your help.
At what point in the purchase did it say two railcards and on which site?

I think it works like this, one person can have one railcard, two people can have one rail card, three people plus don't need a railcard but buy a group-save (10 people you get a better deal).

Last edited by bilboburgler; Jul 31st, 2023 at 11:19 PM.
Old Jul 31st, 2023, 11:45 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Are you talking about London to/from Cambridge? If so -- advance purchase on that route is as little as £8 so I wouldn't worry about discounted fares . . .
Old Aug 1st, 2023, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Bilbo, when I'm at check out page on TrainLine, "2 Railcards" appears. As I start to check out, I get a pop-up telling me to use GroupSave for us three. Going to follow your link and try again this morning.

​​​​​​Janis, you mind reader! How did you know it was for a Cambridge day trip? Both brothers and I will be in London for a week, and I thought one day trip, have never been to Cambridge. My baby brother and I will use a RailCard for Scotland the previous week.
Old Aug 1st, 2023, 07:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Stoke - I wrote this last night and for some reason I didn't post it; even though you seem to have progressed somewhat since then I'm going to post ir anyway in case it can help in some way.

-----------------------------------------------------

Hi Stoke - you don't need to bother about the group thing unless there are more than 2 of you, which I guess there now might be as you say "So, I'm already buying a Two Together Railcard for myself and one brother. Now looking at Cambridge day trip with both of them."

So if it's 3 of you you can get the discount without buying another railcard by using Groupsave as mentioned by Bilbo, which gives you up to a 34% discount without having to buy a card. [who knew?] This website talks you through the process - basically it covers off peak second class travel Monday to Friday. https://www.thetrainline.com/trains/...-train-tickets

Good luck and bon voyage.
Old Aug 1st, 2023, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, dear Ann. That does clarify it.
Old Aug 1st, 2023, 08:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Phew, that's a relief. I hope you enjoy the trip.