Search

Provence

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2003, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Provence

We have travelled to Priovence for many years. We return in July.<BR><BR>We are looking for villages, towns within a 75 kilometer radius of St. Remy de Provence. Lasst year we discovered Lourmarin. In prior years we visited Avignon, Gordes, Bonnieux, Ile sur Sorgue, Aix, etc.<BR><BR>If you could provide one, good outdoors restaurant/bistro in your suggestion as well as any shopping, things to see that too would be much appreciated.<BR><BR>Personal experience is sought not websites.<BR><BR>Thanks.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 01:40 PM

I'm not sure of the distance from Remy, but maybe Forcalquier. We just got a quick glimpse during a trip two years ago, and it looked beautiful.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 02:18 PM

Mustiers St. Marie, in the Alpes de Haute PRovence. Wonderful little village for a day trip. Beautiful faience made there. Restaurant Les Santons.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 02:19 PM

Typo: it's Moustiers
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 07:20 PM

You did not mention Arles in your post.<BR>Perhaps you should visit there? From St. Remy it would be approx a 1 hr drive. It's a little over 50 miles from St. Remy.<BR>We loved sitting, sipping and people watching in the large town square in front of the famous Cafe de Nuit of Van Gogh fame. Many shops to choose from. You might even take in a bullfight while there.<BR>BTW, have spent some time in the charming village of Bonnieux while on a &quot;food vacation.&quot; We loved it there.<BR><BR>Enjoy...Francie<BR>Francie
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 07:38 PM

Hi again, Powell,<BR><BR>Another place to visit is Roussillon, the ocre-red village. Located right in the town square is a small restaurant named Cafe Mincka which serves very tasty salads. NOTE: Paid parking only in the village.<BR>Have you been to town of Apt for the fabulous Saturday market? This is near Bonnieux. We ate at a great outdoor restaurant (can't remember the name)for lunch just after the market closed. You can't miss it right on the main square. Lunch consisted of scrambled eggs with truffles, one of the main dishes of the area. There is Cavillion for the great melons, too.<BR><BR>Francie
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 05:04 AM

Francie, your estimate of mileage from St Remy to Arles seemed high to me; I checked it out, and it's only 24 k, or about 14 miles. Takes about a half hour.
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all!<BR><BR>We have visited Arles, a nice little town. The Roman arena used today for bullfights is extraordinary. Arles is about one half hour from St. Remy.<BR><BR>Villages in Haute Provence and the Luberon are ones we most seek.<BR><BR>We have been to the Apt market. Having attended the Wednesday one in St. Remy de Provence for ten years, in my opinion, it is better than the Apt one. To each his own. By the way, the restaurant &quot;Le Presbyterie&quot;, in Saignon right near Apt, is a gem.
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 11:32 AM

If Les Alpes de Haute Provence is your destination, then you definitely want to go to Moustiers, which is a perched village. The Restaurant Santons is a charming place to have lunch or dinner; it, too, appears to be &quot;perched&quot;. I understand that there is now a fancy restaurant/hotel outside of Moustiers called Bastide de Moustiers; I have read mixed reviews.<BR><BR>In the same general area is the village of Castellane, which is way down in the valley of the Gorge du Verdon (Grand Canyon of France, as they say); it is so far down, it is not visible from the road, but above the town on a very high peak is a landmark seen for miles, Chapel du Notre-Dame du Roc. To me, it was quite a dramatic sight due to its location in a rather desolate area. <BR><BR>Strictly speaking, Haute Provence is farther north; there you would find the town of Briancon, villages of Queyras, Nevache, and others. You're getting into higher mountains in this area and farther away from St. Remy than 75 mi. It is beautiful there, too,; well known for skiing in winter.
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 03:48 PM

Here's another vote for Moustiers and Les Santons, which is fabulous. The Bastide de Moustiers, on the other hand, we found to be really disappointing.
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 04:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Les Santons gets a yes, the Bastide's food was a disappointment but it was a beautiful one time stay. The toiletries are the best.In Saignon,The presbytre, is wonderful for lunch, dinner,I stayed one year in the village, another outside on a goat farm, a friend of the P's owner. It's a favorite village of mine, Saignon, and the sourrounding countryside is not heavy with tourists.
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 04:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
and leave out my o in surrounding
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 09:18 AM

Hi:<BR><BR>If you haven't already, check out:<BR><BR>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/provence<BR><BR>for all kinds of information and links to things Provencal.