Notices

Train - Verona to Venice????

Mar 6th, 2003, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Train - Verona to Venice????

My husband and I are staying in a B&B outside of Verona and plan to take the train to Venice for 2 days. I have read on the forum that we should purchase train tickets early. We will arrrive in Verona from the Lake District and tour the town for the day. Should we purchase our tickets then for a departure for Venice the next day? And what train is the best and most comfortable to take? Many people have said they purchase tickets at machines when they get to the station - I don't want to have any worries and would feel better to have things arranged in advance if possible. Is the Eurostar the train to take? Your help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Mar 6th, 2003, 07:25 PM

Can purchase tickets on the web,don't have address book marked on this computer.Also can but at american express office there.
and maybe here? RR
Mar 6th, 2003, 07:26 PM

Buy not but on above,I wish we could edit posts!
Mar 7th, 2003, 01:01 AM

I don´t think there are any Eurostar Italia trains on this route. Don´t worry. There are trains from Verona Porta Nuevo to Venezia Santa Lucia once or twice an hour. Choose between IC (InterCity, 1 hour 23 minutes, seat reservation recommended) and IR (Interregionale, 1h30m, seat reservation only possible in first class). Additional E (Espresso, 1:30-2 hours) trains.
Mar 7th, 2003, 05:27 AM
RAR

Don't bother getting tickets early, unless you happen to be already at the station. The IR trains never "sell-out" of tickets, and are quite comfortable. The IC train really wont get you there much faster, and will be more expensive. You also need a reservation on many IC train, IR trains you do not, it's first come first serve. Go IR.
Mar 7th, 2003, 06:34 AM

I agree with the advice not to bother buying before you get to Italy. I would recommend that you buy the tickets as you suggested, the day before. And, reserve a first class seat. If you are travelling in hot months, the first class compartment will be the only way you'll have any chance of air conditioning, meager though it may be. Travelling on the IC on this short trip (about 1 1/2 hrs) is not expensive at all. (The IC on that route we took in the A.M. had compartments with an aisle running down one side of the train) What you will find is that some trains on the Milan-Verona-Venice route get very crowded & have people (with their luggage) standing in the aisles. Others seem to be almost empty. You don't want any unhappy surprises, and the prices aren't prohibitive, so why not take care of it the day before? given the frequency of these trains, buying them much before you get to Italy seems to me an unnecessary expense.
Mar 7th, 2003, 06:36 AM

PS-It is true there is no Eurostar on this route, but the IC (first class) is perfectly comfortable. I did not take the IR so can't comment on it.
Mar 7th, 2003, 08:51 AM
JBX

[L=Trenitalia ~ rail system in Italy]http://www.trenitalia.com[/L]
With all due respect to other posters, there IS a Eurostar run between Verona-Venice. Or at least it shows up on the www.trenitalia.com website (from Verona Porta Nuevo to Venice). There's only one in the morning, leaving Verona @ 10:16 am, another in afternoon, 16:16 and a third later in evening. Price difference between the ES train and InterCity is 3 euros (2nd class). That being said, it's not a long ride, the ES is merely 10 minutes faster than IC. I'd go for whichever timetable suits your needs. Although it can be simple to buy your train tix on day of departure, I think it alleviates any worries to purchase a day or two ahead. After all you'll be arriving in Verona (presumably by rail?) and so, you'll already be at train station ~ just buy your tix to Venice then.
Mar 7th, 2003, 09:01 AM
GAC

Let's get the facts straight: there are indeed a couple of Eurostar (ES) trains between Verona Porta Nuova and Venezia Santa Lucia, but it's not worthwhile going out the way to purposely take a Eurostar on this short route, as the hourly Intercity (IC) and Interregionale (IR) trains make the trip is about 90 minutes. The advantage of a Eurostar is that all seats are automatically reserved simultaneous with the purchase of the ticket, whereas (optional) for Intercity (reservations are not possible on Interregionali). I would take the first train on the platform, unless of course they leave roughly at the same time, in which case I would prefer the Eurostar over the others. I would, however, avoid the local trains which stop at every station. Beware that many of the Intercity trains between Milan, Verona and Venezia are extremely crowded, especially in second class, and you may be stuck standing in the narrow corridor if you don't reserve a seat. Seats must be reserved at least two hours before train departure. For this reason (on this particular route), I sometimes prefer to take an Interregionale rather than an Intercity train. The difference in price among ES, IC and IR is not great on this short segment.

Look up schedules and fares on
www.trenitalia.com

You can buy your ticket on the morning of departure, or the evening beforehand.
Mar 7th, 2003, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone who took the time to reply to my train questions. You have all been a great help and have answered all my questions. What makes this forum so great is all the knowledgeable people out there willing to share! Ciao JFR

Search this Thread