Train Travel - Porto to Lisbon

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2006, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're begining to plan a 10 day trip for the middle of September. My current thought is to spend a few days in and around Lisbon, relying on public transportation and cabs. Rent a car on the way out of Lisbon on our way north to Porto.

The big question (at least currently) is whether to leave the car in Porto and take a train to the airport (or nearby), or to deal with the traffic in and around Lisbon. Our flight is at 1:55 pm on a Thursday.

Two questions I have right now; What is the closest train station to the airport(and how far away is it). And, secondly, how reliable are the train schedules ?

Does anybody have any additional insight or experience that might be helpful ?

Thanks in advance,
David
Old May 10th, 2006, 05:33 AM

The Alfa Pendular takes about 3-hours from Porto to Lisbon. You shave a few minutes off that if you get off at Oriente (site of Expo'98) Multimedia Transportation center. closer to Portela airport than Santa Apolonia station (maybe a 10-or-15 minute taxi ride). Check http://www.cp.pt for train skeds.

An Alfa Pendular dep. Porto at 08:15 and arr. Lisboa-Oriente 11:17. I've taken the Alfa Porto-Lisbon: got off at Oriente to catch MetroLisboa. I think the train schedules (especially for the Alfa Pendular) are reliable, but it's always good to have a little slack in one's schedule.

On the way north, schedule a lunch in the region called Mealhada (me al yada): the best roast suckling pig in the world, bar none!
Old May 16th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

NEDSIRELAND:

Thanks for your suggestion. Sounds great.

Anybody else have ideas or suggestions ?

David
Old May 16th, 2006, 08:10 PM

We travelled on an Alfa Pendular from Lisbon to Porto, and it was great. Had a very pleasant meal on board too.
Old May 17th, 2006, 05:29 PM

A few questions to SueLynne: Did you have alot of luggage? Was getting onto train with luggage a problem? Did you travel first or second class? Did you have a reservation??
Old May 18th, 2006, 04:50 PM

treplow, how are you? Still going ahead with a Portuguese holiday?

I've just done a trip to Porto on the trains, though somewhat more priveleged than normal (long story, photos to follow). However.

Best bet if wanting a window seat is to buy a couple of hours beforehand at the terminal in Lisbon - Stª Apolonia. Cost one way 2nd class is 23.50 or 27 E (2nd class depending at which time you travel). Travel time +/- 3 hrs. Second class is much like an aircraft - reserved seats (state if you want window or aisle) with folding tables and footrests, very comfortable, TVs show features. No smoking bar selected places. Bar and restaurant facilities. Luggage can be stowed overhead or at the end of each carraige compartment there is luggage storage facilities. Compared to the UK the platforms are lower so a couple of steps up to the train no problems. A very smooth ride and the train tilts round curves, max speed is 220 KPH. Lots to see from the windows as you approach Porto best views are from the left hand side of the train (again state when buying ticket) to Atlantic and Porto old city. If travelling during sunset hours left hand side of train esp by window gets very bright with the sun, pull down curtains at windows. Look out for Aveiro station, beautifully preserved main station building with traditional tiled scenes. (from left hand side of train).

BTW two stops available in Porto - Vila Nova De Gaia (South of Douro) and Campanhã (North bank of Douro)

Matt
Old May 19th, 2006, 02:01 AM

Hi treplow,

We booked the day before at the main station in Lisbon [ie not the one we caught the train from]. We went 1st class, and had a roll-on each - mine is 22", my husband's 24", and we each had another small bag each. Travelled all over Switzerland too, and much of Spain like this - no problem managing luggage. I'm 5'6" nad my husband 6'4"!
Old May 19th, 2006, 12:40 PM

Matt and Suelynne, thanks very much for the information.

Our current plan is still to get off the Duoro river cruise boat in Porto and take the cruise company bus to the airport,where we part company with the cruise and rent a car to drive to Lisbon, with a nice lunch stop en route.

The wanted train info. is strictly in case something goes wrong with getting the rental car on a Sunday.
Old May 19th, 2006, 03:19 PM

When I rode the Alfa Porto-Lisbon an attendant came thru the (Turista) Carriage with a trolley selling snacks and drinks. I never made it to the Cafeteria car.

I hadn't hit the ATM at the station in Porto so I had to wait until Oriente to have a meal. There are several sit down restaurants there, but mostly fast food outlets.