Reload this Page >

TRAIN TRAVEL IN SPAIN

Search

TRAIN TRAVEL IN SPAIN

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 06:44 AM
Zola

TRAIN TRAVEL IN SPAIN

I know the AVE runs between Madrid and Seville, but which trains run from Seville to Barcelona, and Barcelona to Madrid? If so, how long will each leg take and is it the best way to get where I'm going? <BR> <BR>ALL RESPONSES ARE APPRECIATED

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 06:56 AM
Abraham

Go to <BR>www.renfe.es <BR>u will find schedules, cost of spanish trains. <BR>when will u be in Spain? <BR>i am planning to do that same trip next december

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 07:49 AM
Zola

Abraham: <BR> <BR>We're travelling to Madrid next week and will spend 3 days in Madrid. Take the AVE train to Seville (3 days). Seville to Barcelona (3 days). Barcelona to Madrid for our flight back to the U.S.

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 06:19 PM
Lily B

We're planning a similar trip! <BR>We leave on 11/18, but we have two weeks to spend. We're considering renting a car in Seville to tour the smaller towns of Andalucia and Granada. Are there any good deals you've found on hotels/paradores that you might recommend? <BR>

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 08:52 AM
Colleen

Lily, in October we drove from Sevilla, through Andalucia, ending in Granada. We stopped in Grazalema and Zahara, and if you plan to stay over in one of the white towns, I'd recommend Zahara. It was a little more "lively" than Grazalema, had a nice, friendly restaurant with a great view of the hills, and a pleasant looking hotel right in the town. I don't know the name of it, but it's in Rick Steves' book. Our drive took us to Ronda, where we stayed at the Reina Victoria. We picked it because it was easy to get to by car (no in-town driving hassles). Big room with a big balcony. Beautiful grounds overlooking the valley beyond the gorge - and a pool! It's "in town" so it's just a short walk to restaurants and shops, etc. From there we drove to the Costa del Sol, stopping briefly in Marbella, bypassing Malaga, and staying in Nerja, which we just loved! Then up to Granada (easy Hertz drop off!). Let me know if I can give you any more info. <BR>

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 09:07 AM
Karen

I'll be going to Spain in March '01. We'll spend some time in and around Madrid, then head south by train to Seville for 2 days then on to Malaga where we have a timeshare. We plan on day-tripping out of Malaga and maybe an overnight stay in Rhonda. My question is about car rentals. Is it easier to rent a car there or book a rental from the States before leaving? Any other comments about what to see/what to avoid are apprecitated. KinC

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 12:05 PM
Lily B

Colleen, thanks for the excellent suggestions! I've never planned a trip so last-minute before, but it's actually quite fun. We plan to take the train from Andalucia to Barcelona. Should we rent a car when we leave Seville to see the towns and end up in Granada (drop off the car there) and take the train from there to Barcelona? <BR>Also, how would you divide time between Madrid, Seville, Granada, the smaller towns? I've heard such mixed opinions on Madrid. Is three days enough time there? And finally (whew!), do you know anything about Merida? We'd like to visit as we are Hadrian buffs, but should we spend a night there? <BR>Many thanks for any advice! <BR>LB