Reload this Page >

Is tea a la carte or a fixed price

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 05:43 PM
Roberta

When you go to tea in London do you get a set serving prepared by the staff or an "all you can eat" selection? And is it priced a la carte or fixed? Since I've never tried scones or clotted cream, and don't know if I'll like them, I was trying to decide if I should go to a budget tea first to see what I like, before going to a more expensive one, or if that won't be necessary.

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 10:10 PM
Kay

Roberta, it really varies from place to place. If you go somewhere very popular and expensive it will probably be an 'all you can eat' affair though not the quantities you may be used to. High tea is usually a savoury and sweet selection but afternoon tea can mean just tea and cake or scones. Go into any cafe and order a cup of tea or coffee and scones with jam and cream - you will love it. Choose clotted over whipped cream if there is the choice. You can get tea and scones (called devonshire tea) just about anywhere but the quality of course will vary. <BR>Enjoy! <BR>Kay

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 04:22 AM
Beth

Roberta - <BR> <BR>As I recall, it was one price for everything. Harrods provides the tea, finger sandwiches, scones & clotted cream (DO NOT pass up the clotted cream!) and sweets. It is an "all you can eat" occasion, as they continually refill each item. Fortnum & Mason was a little different, as they served a hot biscuit with bacon first and then scones & clotted cream. No sweets. <BR> <BR>To be honest, I thought it was reasonably priced and worth it just for the experience. <BR> <BR>Just to relive this wonderful experience, I'm taking a group of coworkers to the Four Seasons here in Chicago for afternoon tea in December! <BR> <BR>Hope this helps. <BR> <BR>Beth

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 04:58 AM
Beth Anderson

HI, <BR> <BR>I had champagne tea at the Meridien Waldorf - roughly 30 pounds. a glass of champagne, a pot of tea, scones/clotted cream, and several finger sandwiches. you tend to pay for the ambience and the waiters hovering, by the way - I imagine you could go somewhere cheaper. <BR> <BR>yes yes yes very touristy I know, but after an entire day of tromping around it was soooo nice to sit in a beautiful dining room, listen to the grand piano & harp, and sip my tea over the books I had bought that day... <BR> <BR>by all means, don't miss out on a chance to have scones/clotted cream. you WILL like it, trust me. <BR> <BR

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 06:35 AM
carolyn

Roberta, scones are sweetened biscuits, very like American biscuit-type shortcake; some of them have dried cherries, raisins, or the like in them. Clotted cream is like soft unsalted butter. Both are wonderful. We had tea once at Harrods and once at the Maids of Honour, but there are some threads on the best places to have afternoon tea on this Forum if you do a search.

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 01:27 PM
Linda

What type of sandwiches are there to fill up on?