Train Travel in Italy

Search

Train Travel in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2005, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train Travel in Italy

I am making plans for several train trips in Italy and the Italian train website uses station names that I don't know. I will be traveling from Milan to the Cinque Terra. I arrive in Milan by plane. Do I need to know which station is near the airport or will I just be assigned the only one available? Pisa to Florence is the same situation.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 05:59 AM

Hi JMM. I am taking the same route in September and can provide the following information. From Malpensa, you probably want to take the Malpensa shuttle or express bus to Milan Centrale. From there you can take the train to Cinque Terre (via La Spezia). To get from Pisa to Florence, you should try to take a train from the Pisa airport station to Santa Maria Novella Station in Florence. Does that help? Have a great trip.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 06:08 AM

If you're travelling from Pisa, you surely want Pisa Centrale station. If you're arriving at the airport, you want Pisa Aeroporto.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 06:27 AM
ira

Good advice from mamc.

Do not take the train from Malpensa airport to Milan. It goes to the wrong station.

Old Aug 30th, 2005, 07:52 AM

ttt
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help. Regarding our trip from Pisa to Florence by train. We arrive in Pisa by air so to take the train from Pisa to Florence, do we take the train from Pisa Centrale station or Pisa Aeroporto? Again, I appreciate your input. Warner Marshall
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 11:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From Pisa airport, there is a train to Pisa Centrale every 30 minutes. The station is directly next the airport.
It may be quicker to catch the local bus from outside the airport to the central station.

From Pisa Centrale, trains run quite regularly to Florence Santa Maria Novella.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 12:30 PM

For when you arrive by air in Pisa, enter Pisa Aeroporto as point of departure and Firenze as destination to get schedules.

If you simply want to get from Pisa airport to Florence, then it is as Willit has said: You take the train at the airport; it takes you to Pisa Centrale; from Pisa Centrale choose a train that takes you to Firenze Santa Maria Novella (often abbreviated as Firenze SMN.